DAILY THREAD-Sat. Nov. 24th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why this year are all my Christmas lights dead? We bought 2 pre-lit trees a few years ago & this year both had problems with branches being out even tho they have that "will stay lit if one goes out". Yeah-right. So we kind of fixed one. Then the other-forget it! The whole tree was almost out! So Wed. we went out & got another one. Then I put up my usual mantle garland lights-yup-those were out but hubby fixed it. Then yesterday I hang a HUGE lighted wreath in my palladium window & you guessed it-half the lights were out! What is it with this year?!?

Today I'll start decorating outside. I'm vowing not to go crazy outside this year. Geez-how many years I used to decorate under the influence & then have to wait till I was sober to re-adjust the decore because everything was crooked. Dumb-plain & simple. I can imagine being a sight to see-trying to untangle lights! A normal person would take 5 minutes where it took me 30. Ugh. Thank goodness no more.
    Tonight we'll go visit the neighboring city's park where they decorate with all kinds of Christmas decore. We usually visit 4 different sites around our state. Luckily they are all close. The kids love it.

Have a great AF day everyone! Attached files [img]/converted_files/14222=1782-attachment.jpg[/img]
    :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Hi Breez: I'm doing well but am also immersed in Christmas prep. I don't want to neglect my inner life, because that's how I stay sober. Coming to MWO daily is part of my maintenence program. Thanks for starting this thread. It means a lot to me. Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Comment

well better late than never

Breeze, glad you won't be running the risk of zapping yourself this year with the lights...I've done that sort of thing too and it's amazing how little patience we have when under the influence.
      Mary, glad you are doing well even if super busy (I've been swamped with family in town etc).

still AF (since Holloween) and quite happy.
      be well everyone!
      nosce te ipsum
      (Know Thyself)

Comment

Just dropping in to say hello, Deter, WELL DONE! And good luck with those lights everyone! (Breez - it's just that the old lights have gone off ready for new ones this happy, sober year!) I think it's great you guys do everything BIG! Halloween (although I prefer Holloween Deter! :H !) and Thanksgiving and Christmas....we're sort of diddling about over here feeling guilty about getting anything up before the end of November....and frowning on anyone all lit up already! I think I'm going to have a US/Canada Christmas....long, big and enjoyable (and sober!!!).

Thanks for getting me to feel Christmassy!

Love to all
        FMS xx
        :heart: c: :heart:
        "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

breez, I loved your post about the lights and having to re-adjust them after becoming sober. After enjoying a few glasses of Christmas cheer, I would try to untangle the strand of christmas lights. After about 25 minutes I'd toss them aside with a sneer and a derogatory comment of "stupid lights". Nothing quite like attributing human qualities to inanimate objects after a few drinks.

Comment

Hi
            Know what you mean about the lack of patience, (not so much myself but hubby is "as I recall, generlly a bit fuzzy myself"), everything has to be perfect, and the kids aren't allowed to have one little disagreement or he blows. HATE IT. Last night, was a similar thing, DINNER, hmmm, anyone listen to those gravy adverts, are any families really like that???? He didn't drink last night, and about half an hour before dinner I asked him if we could perhaps have dinner without him going off at the kids. My girl is 12, boy 10, and they are generally pretty ace, but obviously at 12 years and female she is not without her "growing" issues. Anyway he blew, over nothing spectacular, in the event I stayed calm, ordinarily I would start as well and probably (if I'm honest) side with him because of either the blurr or the fact that it is the easy way (he is a massive sulker) and it means the whole evening ignoring or nipping. Anyway, I didn't, he was wrong and harsh, and at this rate we'll all end up with eating disorders coz dinner is a nightmare. Like being under a microscope, good on him for not drinking (for that I am thankful) but he is just toooooooo harsh. He told her to leave the room and go to her room, I personally hate exclusion as a form of discipline, and besides she hadn't done anything wrong, I stayed silent, he was then angry at me and said I should at least back him up, I said I would if I agreed but I didn't, he said well do you want me to leave then, so I said yes, he stormed out (to the lounge not out of the house) and there he sat all night on his own, horrible. I kept trying to make peace, but he said I had undermined him, which of course I know I had but I am so sick of dinners being ruined by his blow ups. Anyway he has just left with my boy and I have apologised again, but he still is having none of it. He is a perfectionist, he is demanding, he expects way too much and he is a massive sulker and very strong willed, don't get me wrong I do love him (immensely), but he really can be a bit of a bully. I knew all of this when I married him all of those years ago, so I knew what I was signing up for but it is really hard, and I do believe that it has a lot to do with why I drink. Anyone get any advice on how to mend this mess, no it sounds trivial compared to some things on here but it is really doing me in. Just had to vent, sorry if I have bored you, really haven't meant to.
            :lI'd really rather be skiing:H

Comment

Working...
            X