Booze Busters 30 Day Challenge - Beginning May 26th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Day Booze Busters!! Here is a fresh thread for a new AF week in our 30 days at a time journey!

On-going Booze Busters, go to the next thread! For anyone new, here's what us Booze Busters are all about.

Frequesnt Asked Questions (FAQ):

Q: What the sam hill is a Booze Buster?
    A: Anyone who has a serious goal of going Alcohol Free (AF) for 30 days in a row, no matter what.

Q: Do I have to join at the start of the month?
    A: NO!! Your "Day 1" can be at any time. And if you are already into your first month or your hundredth month AF, you can join at any time. All who desire to be AF for at least 30more CONSECUTIVE days are welcome.

Q: Why are you being such a hard a$$ about 30 consecutive days AF?
    A: Because that's how tough I have to be on myself to succeed, and this challenge is meant to be "tough love" when it comes to the goal.

Q: What if I fall off the wagon - do I get kicked out?
    A: NO!! We do hope you will let us help you dust off the seat of your pants, and drag you right back onto the Booze Busters wagon. You will get your butt kicked, but you won't get kicked out. Oh - and we have a Fugly Green Suit you have to wear for a day during your butt kickin'. That suit is worse than the kickin'. Give back your stars and bling and start over at Day 1 (for purposes of this challenge).

Q: What if I am tempted to drink - really really badly tempted?
    A: Come here for a kick in the seat of the pants! Read inspirational threads from start to finish, and if the desire to drink still exists, scream for help in the "Need Help Now" Section and yell for someone to join you in chat. (I wish I had done all that before the fall!!)

Q: What does the Booze Beast look like?
    A:

Q: How does the group keep track of what day people are on?
    A: We count on YOU to shout out your stats loud and proud every day in whatever way suits you. For me, I'm collecting a star * for every AF day out of due respect for my inner child. At 30 days, collect your bling (thank you Liv for the bling bling word!) Collect a for every consecutive 30 days.

Speak up if you have other questions!! We are here to prove that WE CAN DO THIS! And we can have a little fun while we're doing it! Let us know if you have questions or suggestions as to how we can improve the BOOZE BUSTERS 30 Day Perpetual Challenge.
    The furture lies before you like newly fallen snow - be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Hope everyone is having a good day.....special hugs to you, MM, hope today is the start of a better time :l

I decided I would do a quick count of days, even though I haven't been keeping track, really - I plan to be AF for the rest of my life - and funny, that thought no longer scares me -

I think I had my last drink around the last day of April. So if I count May 1st and day l, I am on day 26 today. Feels great!

Well, off to do a few chores, and then hubby and I are going golfing this aft - he is taking a week off work -yay!

Have a good AF day!
    The furture lies before you like newly fallen snow - be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the posts, Hannah! I have decided to do 30 days alcohol free. It is so encouraging to hear that you have been successful doing this. Thanks so much for your posts!

Marian

Comment

Hello again! Hannah, thank you for starting a fresh Booze Bustin' thread for all of us! Congrats on 26 days. You are almost to a Trophy!

Marian, I'm just re-starting myself here on Day 5. Welcome to the party. I love your avatar which made me think of a picture I took on Saturday. Mr. Doggy recently set up a honey bee hive. The queen and her harem arrived on May 1. Our first generation of baby bees are getting out and about. This picture is a first gen baby "doing it's thing" on a wild rasberry bush.

Anyway, I hope everyone is having a great Booze Bustin', Non-Fugly Green Suit Wearin' kind of Monday!

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Yay, new thread. I haven't been checking in much and got lost on the old one. Congrats on 26 days Hannah! It does feel good, doesn't it?

I've been doing OK (coming up to 50 days AF) but had a strange scare today. I suddenly fancied getting an Indian takeaway this evening, and my thought process immediately went "Indian = lots and lots of beer".

I spent at least 20 minutes thinking it all through (would the local shop have AF beer instead? etc) and was really rattled by the sudden urge to get hammered after so many weeks.

Anyway, I was saved by two things.
          1. Good old British weather. It's blowing a gale and has been raining solidly for 12 hours, and I just don't fancy venturing out into it.
          2. More importantly, I've been taking Antabuse sporadically. I haven't had one for about a week but thought it's probably still in my system and I do not want to 'test' my reaction to alcohol.

So, I'm staying in and cooking my own curry - not the same, but not bad!

I'm still disturbed by the strong urge though. I've got this far AF before and caved and I don't want it to happen again. I suppose I was hoping that I wouldn't get such a craving at this stage. Sometimes it just gets me down.
          sigpic
          AF since December 22nd 2008
          Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Ah, cross-posting.
            ChooseToBelieve: good luck on your plan!
            DG: good luck with the bees!
            sigpic
            AF since December 22nd 2008
            Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Hi,

I'm doing 30 days from the 26th as well - just started day 2!

mame
              Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Oh, how perfect. Much easier for me to get to know everyone I don't know with a fresh thread - yeah.

Miss Hannah, my lovely friend.. congrats on your 26 days! Very proud of you, sister!!! I have missed talking to you. Have a fun day with your hubby golfing.

DG - LOVELY picture and LOVE the new avatar!!! What a grand dog! Day 5 - nicely done. Weekend over and ready to bolt fresh into the new week! WOW on the Bee thing.. I read a story on how much bees impact our world. I mean I knew somewhat, but they are absolutely vital. Very cool!

Marian - You can do this 30 days.. We are all here together - always. Good luck. I am right along side you.

Marshy - Sounds like a bit of divine intervention - the weather.... Congratulations on overcoming your temptation. I need to remember that if I have that urge I need to come here and talk it out. With this last slip I didn't do that. I did have many reasons why - surgery, etc., but I can't use that now. I will come here at the slightest twinge because even after almost 5 months I was caught off guard.. hope yo uenjoy your curry - sounds fantastic!

Aunte Mame - Well I guess you and I are date sisters, I am on day 2. Let's pull each other along. We can do this!! Days 4 and 5 can be the hardest after having AL in our system, so let's stay real close... Good luck - we can do it!

Well DD and I just got back from a lovely afternoon which included the Indiana Jones movie - Loved it!! We are having a BBQ and going to hang close to home. I mentioned earlier that I thought she was upset because she saw me drink on Saturday. We talked when I picked her up. She opened the conversation by asking me if I was going back to meditation soon. This translates to me to "Mom, what's up". So, I told her yes, I was starting back on Wednesday night. She has also noticed my lack of meditation in the mornngs. So, I told her I was also not going to drink anymore. I told her I knew it made her very uncomfortable, she said it did and gave me a big hug (she is 11 yrs old - going on 100). Anyway, to make a long story short we had a great conversation and I am now more motivated than ever. She is definately one of my greatest teachers. I am very thankful to have her.

I hope you all enjoy your Monday. Talk to you tomorrow.... :h

Namaste,

MM
                Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Good on you MM! In the past I have found having kids around has kept me so much more accountable for my behaviour. Now I have to rely on myself!

I find days 4-5 the hardest too ...... I dont sleep very well when I dont drink, so after 4-5 days of that I'm usually climbing the walls! To make things worse I usualy start y non-drinking resolutions on a Monday so afetr 5 days its Friday and a perfect drinking occasion!

So I have a plan for this week to try to help me break through the wall - as well as not drinking, I am taking valerian, plus hot baths, plus I bought a bottle of alcohol free wine which is in the fridge as a back-up/contingency plan!

DG - that bee picture is fab! Oh for soe spring and summer weather ;-)

CTB - we can do it together!

Marshy and Hannah
                  - thanx for your inspiration!

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Hannah and everyone,

Thank you for starting a new thread.

I am jumping on this one, too. Looking forward to seeing old and new faces here and getting to know everyone.

I'll be back on the road early in the a.m. and always need lots of support when I am out of town (which is every week!!) but those triggers are all out there waiting for me in the big bad travel world. The airport bars, the hotel bars, the stress, the lonliness.

So, here I am and glad to be in such good company.

Love,
                    Cindi
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Just checking in one last time for the day to catch up and then say good night!

I'm glad you got through that crave. It's funny how certain things or situations can sneak up and surprise you with an unwanted urge. I'm glad you didn't cave!! I love Indian food too but haven't had any in years. I don't think there is a decent Indian restaurant anywhere near here. Hmmm....might have to look a little harder! That or get search out some new recipes and hope for the best. 50 days is a terrific milestone - YOU CAN DO IT!!

Congrats on Day 2 Mame!! For those of us starting or re-starting, won't it feel awesome to reach the double digits??? No lookin' back.

MM!! Yes, bees are quite vital to our food supply, and they are dwindling. At least one factor is that many chemicals used in farming are killing them off. Not to bring up a bad topic, but there are places in Europe - various "wine countries" that supposedly have to continuously re-populate the honey bees because they are dying off so fast. So me and Mr. Doggy are doing are part! Well, he's doing it, I'm just becoming more and more facinated by it! And DD sounds like a WONDERFUL little human. Just like her Mom. More good reasons to stay sober - to give back to those around us who give so much to us.

Cindi, I hope you don't mind that I started that other thread! I just kept thinking about your story ever since I read it last evening. I will be thinking of you while you travel this week. I can't imagine how difficult it must be sometimes while on the road. Been there, glad I'm not doin' that any more. YOU CAN DO IT THOUGH!! You have come so far and I really look up to you in this journey.

Well, Day 5 is drawing to a close. I feel fortunate to have spent Days 4&5 in peace and quiet over the holiday weekend. No customer crisis, etc. etc. to rattle my cage.

Nighty Night you crazy Booze Busters!! I'm off to watch a movie and hopefully sleep. Thank the great powers of the universe for Valerian Root. (and thank you Hannah for that recommendation way back when!) Oh - and thank you MM for that stuff you recommended too - can't even recall the name right now. I take one of those every morning. Li9ghts out now...sorry for the long posts.

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

So glad you started a clean slate BBers! Just feels like spring cleaning!

Thanks DG and AFM for the wise words and support. I made it through the weekend and am home ... YES -- no drinking ........ whew. I'm not patting myself on the back cuz I WANTED to numb the pain away. My ideal is to not even think about wanting to numb with AL - but to want to go for a run instead to numb any pain!! It's my new possibility!!!!

I love all of you - MM glad to see you on this thread too :h
                        Liv
                        AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

Hi Booze Busters
                          It was lovely to read this thread, now that I have decided to go 30AF. I feel inspired by all your posts, such a nice positive vibe amongst us.I'm sooo glad to be on board and in the midst of such good company.

Today is Day 1 for me.

I have also bumped up and posted an update in the My Story section.

Feeling happier than I've felt in days!
                          sorry not to reply to one and all individually, but I read closely and appreciate each and every one of you!

thanks guys, thanks for being here

Anna :l
                          IS MILIS FION,ACH IS SEARBH A IOC
                          Wine is sweet, but paying for it is bitter

Comment

well Anna, everybody else is probably fast asleep and heading towards Tuesday morning, so let me be the first to say welcome and congrats on Day 1!

Here at the bottom of the world it's the end of Tuesday, and like DG I just wanted to say good night! I'm trying to be kind to myself this week and have hot baths, early nights, and valerian to get me as much sleep as I can. I am planning on a movie on Friday night as I hardly ever get to them and I need something to look forward to other than a bottle of wine!

congrats to everyone on a day well done!

mame

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Hi Aunty Mame
                              what movie are you planning to go see Friday?
                              I love the whole "hot (aromatherapy) bath and valerian tea then early to bed" routine
                              it's great to know we'll be doing it all over the world this week! although I'm out to a shakespeare play tonight weather permitting-it's outside! than some valerian on my return, will be thinking of you all

night night sleep tight

Anna
                              IS MILIS FION,ACH IS SEARBH A IOC
                              Wine is sweet, but paying for it is bitter

Comment

Working...
                              X