Mon. - June 2 - Daily Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phil, great to see you here and congrats on AF time!!
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Mary - My list on how I have been doing it:
      1. Do anything possible to come to MWO if I am feeling tempted - either to read or hit the chat .
      2. Set a goal (30 days worked last time, so I'll stick with that one)
      3. L-Glutamine - I am sold on this one.
      4. Hit the gym after work instead of the happy hour.
      5. Plan activities in the early am on the weekends
      6. Post on the Drink Tracker
      7. Appreciate how my ankles don't get swollen on the airplane when I'm not drinking!
      8. Think about how my skin looks better without the alcohol (vanity is setting in as 40 is around the corner)

Beck - I could never handle the puppy stage - we adopted 2 goldens through different rescues and they were about 2 years old when we got them - heaven not having to deal with housetraining and chewing issues.

Phil - welcome - we'll have fun during June!

Disapproving - congratulations on pushing through the 100 day mark! I was confused as to what I should do after hitting 30 days - Day 31 falling on a Saturday didn't help with that much. I stayed in - which is probably what saved me.
      Day 33 for me!

Comment

Hi All -- Char -- thanks for reposting Cheif's post ... it really did hit home with me...

I am just a wine drinker and you cannot buy booze on Sunday's where I live... I would plan on Saturdays to go out and get enough for Sunday... but sometmes that would not work because I would drink it all on Saturday ... so that either meant a buzzed booze run or I passed out and would go to a bar on Sunday ... all NOT COOL because it meant driving... I have only had 1 AF weekend but as Isaid in a previous post "something happened" need this to stick.
        Tiny

Comment

Deter: I too want to know why I drank problematically. I think I have some answers from the Alanon meetings I've attended throughout the years. However, I do think that once I started down that slippery slope of using alcohol as a mood-altering substance combined w/an alcoholic personality, the habit became cemented in. The "I-won't-pick-up-a-drink-regardless-of-what-happens" approach works for me on breaking the habit. The underlying reasons for drinking (insecurity, codependence, etc.) are the aspects of myself I must examine on a daily basis. I'm not sure if what I'm saying makes sense.

Anyhow, I'm thrilled that your AF life is so gratifying to you & your wife. I too am very grateful for mine (new as it is).

Mary
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Mary, makes total sense to me dear.
            nosce te ipsum
            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Doglvr, congrats on the 33 days!

I count days for fun but don't set a goal of a certain number of days anymore because there is always this "what next" question that drives me batty. so for me what works is just to accept a healthy happy lifestyle all the time. once again, that's just me

keep up the great work everyone!
              nosce te ipsum
              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Well, it's time to say nighty night and go watch a movie and try to get rid of this cold!! Looking for the silver lining in every cloud (yes, I know, often annoying) at least I sleep several hours straight when taking Nyquil capsules!

4tb - I can relate to that "just one" call of the wild on a gorgeous day. That's how I fell last summer on Day 60. Never again. But I applaud you for getting right back here and not using that "one" as an excuse for "all of them" on a months and months trip to the hell pit.

OMW - I can relate to what you are saying in terms of demonizing AL more like Nicodemon. The big difference in my eyes is that with nicotine, 99+ % of people who experiment with smoking cigarettes even a little become addicted. (and those who claim to only smoke when they drink...well...I don't believe all of 'em!) I read an interesting article on WhyQuit - the Internet's leading cold turkey quit smoking resource that suggests that small fraction of a % that does not get addicted actually have a liver impairment that causes nicotine not to be processed in the liver and put into the blood stream. (est. 80% of the nicotine ingested is processed through the liver). Anyway, I do think a FAR greater % of people can drink socially without a problem. I would hate to take the freedom away from people who CAN handle it just because some of us can't. What I WOULD like to see is a world where it's OK to acknowledge that I am a person who CANNOT (so doesn't) drink, and be congratulated (not here - outside) for that, rather than being treated like a weaking leper because it's a problem for me. Just another opinion - but I totally understand your point, I think! Sloppy drunken-ness doesn't need to be glammed up AT ALL - that's for sure.

BECK!! Now come on. I can't believe in the 21st century that you believe puppies are so limited as to only exist to pee on your hard wood floors. Puppies are very diverse these days. They also poop on your rugs and puke in your car. Oh - and don't forget chewing up your shoes. And the most expensive ones definitely taste better. I second DogLvr's consideration for adopting a nice adult dog!!!

Speaking of DogLvr, congrats on 33!

D-Cat - congrats on 103 days!! I want to be where you are!!

Deter - you sound terrific and I am so happy for you and Dx. (OK, I'm a broken record)

Tiny, 1 AF weekend is REALLY important, especially if you are like many of us who haven't had one in many many years. You did it once, now you know you can do it again. And again.

Day 12 AF is drawing to a close and I am one happy camper. Disgusting, innit!

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

DG - I hope you're feeling better tomorrow - are you taking your vitamins??

Determinator and all thanks for the Kudos - now if only I could catch up to some of you !! By the way - has anyone seen Lila lately?

Comment

DogLvr;338113 wrote: DG - I hope you're feeling better tomorrow - are you taking your vitamins??
                    Yep! And I'm not totally over it yet, but I'm WAY better today. I'm sure the no smoking, no AL, and all the good MWO vitamins made a HUGE difference. In the "old days" this felt like one of those colds-that-turns-to-chest-cold that would have lasted a month. Thanks to you and everybody for the good healing wishes!

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                    X