Booze Busters 30 Day AF Challenge - Week of June 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By moderate demand, here is a fresh thread to get us started in a fresh week and fresh month! On-going Booze Busters, go to the next thread! For anyone new, here's what us Booze Busters are all about.

Frequesnt Asked Questions (FAQ):

Q: What the sam hill is a Booze Buster?
    A: Anyone who has a serious goal of going Alcohol Free (AF) for 30 days in a row, no matter what.

Q: Do I have to join at the start of the month?
    A: NO!! Your "Day 1" can be at any time. And if you are already into your first month or your hundredth month AF, you can join at any time. All who desire to be AF for at least 30more CONSECUTIVE days are welcome.

Q: Why are you being such a hard a$$ about 30 consecutive days AF?
    A: Because that's how tough I have to be on myself to succeed, and this challenge is meant to be "tough love" when it comes to the goal.

Q: What if I fall off the wagon - do I get kicked out?
    A: NO!! We do hope you will let us help you dust off the seat of your pants, and drag you right back onto the Booze Busters wagon. You will get your butt kicked, but you won't get kicked out. Oh - and we have a Fugly Green Suit you have to wear for a day during your butt kickin'. That suit is worse than the kickin'. Give back your stars and bling and start over at Day 1 (for purposes of this challenge).

Q: What if I am tempted to drink - really really badly tempted?
    A: Come here for a kick in the seat of the pants! Read inspirational threads from start to finish, and if the desire to drink still exists, scream for help in the "Need Help Now" Section and yell for someone to join you in chat. (I wish I had done all that before the fall!!)

Q: What does the Booze Beast look like?
    A: :alf: Is one ugly SOB

Q: How does the group keep track of what day people are on?
    A: We count on YOU to shout out your stats loud and proud every day in whatever way suits you. For me, I'm collecting a star * for every AF day out of due respect for my inner child. At 30 days, collect your (thank you Liv for the bling bling word!) Collect a :award: for every consecutive 30 days.

Speak up if you have other questions!! We are here to prove that WE CAN DO THIS! And we can have a little fun while we're doing it! Let us know if you have questions or suggestions as to how we can improve the BOOZE BUSTERS 30 Day Perpetual Challenge.
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

For some additional, Booze Buster Appropriate inspiration......

Words of Wisdom from the Chief, Resurrected by Charlee, *Stolen by Doggygirl:

Charlee: I found this post by Chief and it hit home... perhaps others will agree. Chief (aka Don), thanks for the leadership and support you provide to all of us!!!!

Just give it up. Stop the battle. You will find it's much easier to quit drinking than to keep quitting....

The constant, daily torture we go through when trying to "control" our drinking is what makes us feel weak, stigmatized, and a failure. We start to think we can never win this battle, and some just surrender to it and "accept" the fact they are hopeless drunks who can never quit.

The reality IS we can never win this battle. So you stop the battle. You step out of the ring. You stop the insanity. If you've proven time after time you can't control drinking once you start, then the obvious solution is to never start. If you don't drink 1, you won't drink 12...it's easy to drink 0 or 12....it's impossible to drink 2.

So, why don't you just let it go....just let it go. There are 2 sides to this battle.....you and The Beast...but if you refuse to step into the ring with him, there can be no battle......you can just watch The Beast walk around the ring alone, with his head down, pouting because there's no one to play with.....

*Why come up with a new idea when you can more easily steal one! :nutso:
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Pamina, I think we cross posted yesterday...my apologies for not saying :welcome: before now. Congrats on your 20 AF days and best wishes as you consider what your next 30 might bring. I'm sorry to hear that your are dealing with difficult circumstances with Dad. I'm dreading when that time comes for me. Good for you managing to stay AF - I'm sure you're able to better handle what you have to that way.

Well Teardrop...it's settled!! Since hubby is not going to see Bon Jovi, I will go in his place with you and the kids! OH I'm so glad we have a good plan. This time around, and am more fully appreciating the value of exercise in this AF plan. Just like your bide ride did for you, I'm finding that really intense workouts clear my head for hours and hours of any desire for AL - even this early in the game. (DUH...I suppose there is a reason RJ advocated exercise as part of the program...... that deserves a second DUH....)

MM, I'm so glad that your weekend adventure was a time for more self discovery as well as fun. The 40's really can be tough as we wonder if we are still attractive and all that jazz. As always, it sounds like you have thought things through thoroughly (say THAT 10 times fast) and are growing as a person by the experience. It's good to have you back!!

Liv, I probably missed something somewhere...Is your doc appointment just a routine check up thing? I hope nothing is wrong. I broke out in a rash when you mentioned house cleaning. And then Hannah had to go and mention that too.

kaddy it's great to see you!! Are you feeling better today? Talk to us!!

Hannah I'm sure it does feel nice in a way to have a little time for yourself to get your routine back. Have fun with your friend over coffee! I won't say anything about house cleaning as I don't want this rash to get any worse.

Today is a landmark day because my inlaws are in town, and I realize I didn't get all stressed out before they got here (usually I stress...and of course drink over that stress, as a master excuse maker, for days.). I sorta forgot they were stopping by today to drop off some vine ripened tomatoes from Florida (yeah!) Between my fits and starts and stops AF, this is THE very first time they have ever visited an AF DIL. Sadly, my husbands odest brother died a few years ago from complications of AL abuse. He was only in his 50's - just a few years older than me. YEAH...Mom & Dad in law, who cared for him for the last 10+ years of his life are clueless to the signs of Not-So-Secret Secret-Drinking, right?? I'm looking forward to some guilt free visitation with them this time around.

Day 12 is rockin' except for this dang cold. Hope everyone is having a Great Booze Bustin' Monday.

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Thanks for the new thread DG. Very quick post today as I have to take Uncle Max to airport this morning. Cold still hanging on and like you, I could use another day in bed. However I have a proposal due in this afternoon, and a meeting that cant be missed so I have dragged myself up out of bed.

Welcome to the new week everyone!
        Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Mame, sounds like you had to drag yourself out of bed maybe a tad early. Take care of yourself!!

I've been going all day but I'm hittin' the sack early, that's for sure. I'm hoping my first DVD of Season I - Desparate Housewives arrives from Netflix for my amusement. Anyone else like that show?? I heard about it, but only started watching a few re-runs not long ago. I'm hooked!

I just posted the Cuban Style Sea Bass recipe in the recipe section. I had the leftovers for lunch and I can't believe I liked the leftovers at least as much as the original. I can't say that about many fish dishes I've tried to cook.

I think I'm OD'ing on MWO today!! Better than booze. I'll treat myself. :nutso:

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

back in bed .....

yes DG, I did drag myself up a tad too early. But got my proposal in, the meeting that I had got up for was cancelled, and I fate intervened on some other work that was due in this Friday ....... so I have come home for an afternoon kip.

Thanks everyone for your warm words over the last two days. And thanks too, Hannah for the reminder about it being very easy to be complacent. I am heeding your words of warning.

MM - I am in awe!!! I could just picture you sashaying your way around the place. I'm a girly swot and I'd love to take lessons!

Pamina - thinking about you with your dad and great that you spent some time with him. In amongst all the things that I am not proud of, I feel good that I was sober during my da's last week and his funeral. It was/is a way of honouring him.

DG - sisters in colds together! Hope you have your spit sent off ok, and good luck with the results and the in-laws! But some questions:
            • what sort of fish is sea bass? You're in illinois right? So fresh water?? Deep water? I looked at the recipe and it looked yummy, but I would guess a reasonably firm and thick flesh??How come you haven't seen Desperate Housewives yet???!!!! I don't watch TV (too many ads) but I got Series 1 of DH as soon as it was on Amazon. Is very cool and did the rounds of most of the women in the office I was working in at the time! Series 2 is crap though.

Since DH series I have got through all 7 seasons of West Wing, and currently up to season 7 of MASH (oldie but goodie). And currently watching "Wiliam and Mary" - BBC production which I think only had two series in 2003/2004 - but which is vastly under-rated in my view!

anyway, approaching the end of Tuesday here and I'm back to bed with my hottie (that's a hot water bottle MM!!)

mame
            Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

morning all hope everyone is well,, nothing but rain here,, have to go docs,, to pick up
              some test,,
              dg hope your flu is getting better,,, does eneyone know how migmag is doing

87 days af
              there is no shame in losing a fight,, only in winning

Comment

ps sorry its 88 days af,,, thats good am forgeting
                there is no shame in losing a fight,, only in winning

Comment

Hi All

I have been a bit quiet, tackling some challenging issues , none of them drink-related I am happy to say.

DG I am sure the vine-ripe toms will see off your cold!

Day 8 for me

Have a brilliant BB day.
                  Raining bucketfuls here so looks like an admin day indoors. Oh joy.

Anna:h
                  IS MILIS FION,ACH IS SEARBH A IOC
                  Wine is sweet, but paying for it is bitter

Comment

Morning all!

I'm having a busy time too - will catch up later in the week.
                    Day 57 for me. My previous longest time AF was 60 days and I AM going to beat that, oh yes, yes, yes!!
                    sigpic
                    AF since December 22nd 2008
                    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Marshy,

Woo Whoo!! Coming up an a real milestone here.

Hang in there, you are rockin' and a rollin'

Love,
                      Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Good Day Booze Busters!! I'm up early here (got up at 4:30 AM) but actually slept pretty good last night. I went to bed about 7PM with the intention of watching some TV and falling alseep whenever it happened. It happened quick!! Only woke up a couple of times before 4:30 which isn't bad compared to the troubles I've sometimes had when AF. Doc thinks some of the insomnia crap (well, unless I'm passed out) is menopause related so YEAH if that gets fixed up with a hormone pill. Doc said when she first compounded a mix for herself, she slept almost solid for a few days. Her hubby couldn't believe how truly exhausted she must have been from several years of difficulty sleeping.

Anyway...the cold is still here but feeling better. I'm so glad I don't smoke or drink anymore - this is the type of thing somewhat in the chest that would have gotten REALLY bad and probably for weeks especially if smoking. I'm sure not drinking helps too. (must add this to the "I love" thread)

Hi Cindi!! How are you feeling? Are you at home still or on the road again? If on the road, I hope your sinuses held up for a flight. I get goose bumps just thinking about trying to fly with such an infection. Hope you are on the mend.

Marshy :kudos: on Day 57. 60 is the longest I made it in the past too and like you, I'm determined that this time will be different. I was just thinking last night how excited I will be when I hit 61 and am charting new territory! I'm so happy for you. We need to CELEBRATE come the end of the week!

Anna, congratulations on Day 8. Sorry to hear it's raining again. I don't think I could deal with the amount of rain London gets (or Seattle, or other rainy places). But I sure do want to visit there some day. I hope the challenges are things that will ultimately make life even better for you!

Kaddy congratulations :kudos: on Day 88! We have to celebrate your 90 this week too! That's quite an achievement and also an inspiration to the rest of us. How are you feeling otherwise? Better I hope.

Mame. LOL Now you've got me really excited about DH Season 1! It didn't arrive yesterday, unfortunately. Glad you got some reprieve on your work deadlines. I hope you are on the mend and feeling a bit better today too. Sea Bass is a deep water fish. I mainly get frozen fish in IL. There is fresh water fishing in Wisconsin but not so much in IL, unless you do Lake Michigan. That is one thing I miss about living in FL was lots of fresh fish - especially grouper. There are several different fishes in the "Sea Bass" category. I think the type I had was Chilean Sea Bass which is caught in the Antarctic and then "commercialized" all the way to the Midwest US. I would call it firm and thick in texture and fairly mild in flavor. At least it seemed fairly mild in "fish taste" when covered with that Cuban salsa!! (I'm no Chef Boy R Dee!)

Well, Day 13 AF is underway and it still feels really good. I need to goof off less on MWO today though! Although last night I was thinking I goofed off so much, but when took stock of what I DID do yesterday, it was way more than an average drinking day. I'm going to Curves at 7, then to a business referral club meeting at 8, then to the store for dog food chicken, then to the health food store, then back to the home office. I need to de-winterize the camper today and tomorrow. (YUK)

Have a happy Booze Bustin' Tuesday!

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Good morning, my lovelies!

DG - Thank you for posting Chief's words again. It is brilliant and no matter how many times I hear it, it always rings true. I needed to read that today. Good luck with your Menaupause stuff.. I can totally relate! It is so interesting the link between Menaupause and women and alcohol. I did a lot of research on it and there is a ton of info on the link between the two. Glad you are feeling better.

I am looking so forward to having a wonderful summer without AL. I am not going to miss him even for a minute. I love so much how I feel when he is not around. My personality is starting to shine right through and I don't need my AL MASK anymore.. !

I came here about a year ago. I have had many stints of sobriety within this past year, this last one being the longest ever 4 months, or there abouts. I have net ever been an hard alcohol drinker, and the biggest night drinking was usually 4 glasses of wine. I know for me that a bottle of wine is WAY too much. And I have known for a long time that 2 glasses is not enough. I even fought with staying at three. When I would have that fourth glass it was finally enough. For my small frame that is a lot of alcohol. So, as Cheif says, 0 is WAY easier than the battle you fight to stay in control.

Well, that was just what came up for me today. I hope everyone make great AF decisions today. We have to remember how fantastic we are when AL is stuck in his ring by himself and we are roaming this beautiful world without him...

Namaste,

MM
                          Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Each morning I recieve a Buddhist Inspiration that I carry with me throughout the day.. this was this mornings message...

Achieving goals by themselves will never make us happy in the long term; it's who we become, as we overcome the obstacles necessary to achieve our goals, that can give us the deepest and most long-lasting sense of fulfilment.

Pretty spot on for me right now....

MM
                            Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Hiya ALL

DG... thanks for sharing chief post, i could read that over and over again makes a lot of sense. A few weeks ago at my group session one of the therapist said to one of the lady there who is 26yrs old.... what so different this time round you have done so many ROUNDS. How many more are you going to do! Yep she had been truly beated by the beast she can not walk probably on one of her legs due to AL. Also another man there is 60yrs old has brain damage through AL as well. Really made me think hard not to go in that ring and do to many rounds it not worth it getting beated by the beast.
                              Dg i use to take my dog to dog training i really did enjoy it, but stop for some reason i might start up again. Do you take your dog to dog shows as well.
                              MM...always love reading yor post it funny when we stop the AL the real person shines through you sound so strong. im to looking forward to summer without AL when the sun does come out. I love reading the buddhist inspiration message they seem to have a good meaning to them.

One thing i notice is that i dont need no more sleep during the day not even a nap i just seem to be wide awake all the time even at 11pm at night now. Its good when you see the improvement being AF.

Everyone have a GOOD AF day and well done to everyone.x

Love
                              Teardrop.x
                              family is everything to me

Comment

Working...
                              X