Booze Beast Lie #7 - I Need a Break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is one I've used when I feel overwhelmed by my feelings, thoughts, & relationships. I want to escape it all through the bottle. The trouble is that when I come out of it, I'm full of guilt & shame to pile on top of everything I was trying to escape. Issues don't go away when I drink. They just get put on hold.

One of the the truths of life that I have to get into my (thick) skull is that I must go through situations in order to get them resolved. Usually there are no shortcuts. I must have the kind of courage it takes to:
    -talk things out.
    -speak up.
    -relax & take a break (not easy for me).
    -etc.

Can anyone relate to this?

Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Retteacher, I think we're twins.

Comment

I feel exactly the same way. I get upset or stressed and drink. Then the next day I feel guilty and ashamed on top of having to deal with the original issue that made me upset or stressed! It is so stupid, its a crutch. I'm ready to walk on my own two feet!
      :heart:Hope, Faith and Love are just some of the things he gave us.:heart:

Comment

this is exactly what i need at 5:00, baby who barely napped (but puked), hubby not home and no clue what's for dinner! and work that didn't get done!

Comment

retteacher;345694 wrote: Can anyone relate to this?
          ME ME ME ME ME!! Yep. I can relate. Booze was a great support tool for ALL of my Pro-Crasinating. Whether I was procrastinating a difficult discussion with Mr. Doggy (or something stressful / serious like that) or just procrastinating something I dislike doing, such as basic housework.... The bottle was my biggest tool.

Mary, this is an excellent thread - another BIG FAT LIE exposed!

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

jb: I'm a pisces too. We watery types swim in 2 different directions at the same time. The hot stuff is not easy for us. We'd like to just float along, but alas, life isn't like that.

I'm glad everyone else could relate.

Mary
            October 3, 2012

Comment

retteacher: glad there are people and stories I can relate to on this sight. I found it last night so this is my first day. So far so good. I am getting really motivated and hopeful that I can do this. I ordered the CD's today. Any tips on the website or things that help? Thank you!

Comment

Jbphan:welcome:
                May you find much comfort here as it awaits you. You are amongst brilliance here.
                Everyone seems to be in their own place, yet, we all have a common "thread" that binds us.
                Please know that this is a wonderful place to be:lilflower:
                :notes:Theme2be

" Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them~everyday begin the task anew".-Saint Francis de Sales

Comment

Theme2be: :thanks: I really appreciate the responses. Everyone here seems to be so supportive and understanding! Imagine that! I dont feel guilty or ashamed among you all! I love it. :h I can see this as a great place to be and to heal and grow!
                  Stay in touch! Keep up the good work!

Comment

:bump:
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I'm finding since we first wrote this thread that I have resolved so many issues that formerly bothered the heck out of me. I suffered in silence (no way to live). As a result, I see the people around me (my loved ones) really wanting to move forward w/me into new types of relationships. Mary
                      October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi Mary
                        That is so interesting and encouraging.
                        I get overwhelmed feeling, and at the end of a long day single parenting, I feel like I 'deserve' a cold beer, or a civilized glass of wine (adding more of course!!!).
                        Maybe I could set better boundaries with my kids - they don't go to bed early enough, and always want to sleep in my bed.
                        So maybe the lesson is for me to honor myself and set boundaries so I have my space back.
                        Lila

Comment

Lila: I'm a person who has a lot of trouble saying "no" & putting myself first. It's so much easier to give in. Since I've been doing that, I don't feel the need to drink as much. Yes, people might be a little mad, but our loved ones love us & won't stay that way. Change isn't easy (when sober), but it's nearly impossible when drinking (or recovering from drinking).

Mary
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

Mary,
                            Yes - it is kind of a martyr's reward, I guess!
                            I am setting up my CD player by my bed (for the hypnosis cds), with a goal of turning my room into a santuary. Not for always, but for sometimes, at least.
                            Lila

Comment

Lie 7

[pre]One of the the truths of life that I have to get into my (thick) skull is that I must go through situations in order to get them resolved. Usually there are no shortcuts. I must have the kind of courage it takes to:
                              -talk things out.
                              -speak up.
                              -relax & take a break (not easy for me).
                              -etc.

Can anyone relate to this?

Mary[/QUOTE][/pre]

YES... i can relate to this so much time out, i use the word kitkat break ( that one is not easy for me as well) i feel like im cheating and i should not be here if that make sense.

Love
                              Teardrop.x
                              family is everything to me

Comment

Working...
                              X