June 13-- (FRIDAY the 13th) Daily thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all. It doesn't look like anyone has started this today, so here I am, for the first time ever starting the daily thread...

OK, it's Friday the 13th, but so what?

Friday the 13th is considered a day of bad luck in English-, French- and Portuguese-speaking countries around the world, as well as in Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, The Netherlands, Norway, the Philippines, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden.

Similar superstitions exist in some other traditions. In Greece, Romania, and Spanish-speaking countries, for example, it is Tuesday the 13th that is considered unlucky. In Italy it is Friday the 17th.

The fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskavedekatriaphobia, a word derived from the Greek words Paraskev? (Παρασκευή) (meaning Friday), and dekatre?s (δεκατρείς) (meaning thirteen), attached to phob?a (φοβία) (meaning fear).

Every year will have at least one Friday the 13th, with a maximum of three times (months) in which it falls.

Today let's all show AL that we are NOT superstitious!

Good Friday to all.

-beatle
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Beatle,

Thanks for starting the thread. Interesting info about Fri the 13th!

I am going to Chicago for the weekend and plan to be just fine... I am feeling great!
    Hope everyone has a great day!
    Tiny

Comment

Hi Beatle, Tiny and everyone to come,

Friday the 13th is also considered unlucky here in Australia as well.

It is evening here now and some how I managed to get thru Day 4 AF.

What a day it has been. I hope those starting out have a good day and a 1000 times better then mine.

I hope you all get at least one laugh today, as they say laughter is the best medicine. Not sure MWO was around when they came up with that one.

Nomore

Comment

Nomoretisit: Hope you are feeling better and getting through today (tonight). Just remember we are all here for you! Have a great weekend and be strong. :thumbs:
        :heart:Hope, Faith and Love are just some of the things he gave us.:heart:

Comment

Hi everyone, Wishing strength to all for the weekend (myself includes, Fridays are hardest) Beatle, you are a walking encyclopedia! Amazing. I will use your info to remind myself that drinking on Fri the 13th would be bad luck!

Comment

Morning all
            Thanks Beatle...Hope everyone has a teriffic Friday and my thoughts are with those in the Mid West. What is going on with this weather?
            sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

Friday!!

Whether it is Friday the 13th or not, it is a good day to be AF!!

Everyone have a super weekend, you will be in my thoughts, remember one day at a time...............we can all do this!!:thumbs::happy::wd:

love,:l:l:h

MA
              :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

We have been hit by nasty weather here in the MidWest -- my colleague was in a wedding last week which was supposed to be outdoors in lovely tents and it turned into a swamp. Souther Indiana is just a mess!
                Tiny

Comment

Hello Absters. Beatle, thank you for starting things off today - you ARE a walking encyclopedia!! Very interesting about the history of superstition and Friday the 13. LOL - I got all the way to my Friday 7AM meeting and somebody said something about Friday the 13th - that's the first time it clicked in my head. Up until then, it was "Day 23 (AF)" and that was all.

BEATLE!! Did you see what you inspired?? I hope nobody minds that I post it here too....

and

So...can I talk about my rooftop garden now???? Seriously, thank you for busting my chops about my procrastination!! I'm glad you did because I love looking at the flowers on the roof top porch! Now I just hope I can keep them alive.

Tiny - have fun in Chicago!! I will send good vibes that direction from the far SW suburbs.

no more, I'm sorry you have had a bad day. Is it strictly AF Day 4 related? (those early days can be such a bugger) or other crapola going on? In any case, I hope tomorrow is a FABULOUS day for you because you deserve it!! And I agree that laughter is good medicine!

Positive AF weekend vibes to jbphan, louise, charlee, cowgal, anyone I might have missed, and all yet to come. Let's make it a good one!!

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi all,

Beatle you little fountain of knowledge!!!!

Had a nightmare week, hence the lack of posts in the mornings.

It was a work nightmare not anything else. Actually went out on Wednesday night and had a good time without alcohol. Going out is a big thing for me now but I was ok without the alcohol. Didn't join the others in the bar during the interval because I couldn't be bothered to face the crush just for a soft drink. but otherwise was OK. I laughed until I cried so that dispells the myth that comedy works better with alcohol.

Hope everyone is doing ok, I need to catch up with what everyone is up to. DG I see has been putting in effort in the garden. Are you working the dogs again tomorrow?

Congrats everyone the days are certainly clocking up.
                    Learn from yesterday, live for today and hope for tomorrow - Einstein
                    AF 8 June 2012

Comment

hurrah for Doggygirl! See, actions do speak louder than words (as Chief reminded me in a rather vulnerable moment). Enjoy your garden, Doggy.

Hope you are feeling better, nomore.

Happy AF weekend to all.

Chew gum everyone! (See Holistic Healing).
                      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Day 5, reporting for duty- have a super weekend!

Skoots
                        "I have not failed - I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas A Edison

Comment

DG: Isn't it amazing the creativity we have when we're not clouded by alcohol. I read Pete Hamil's bio ("A Drinking Life"), & he said getting sober unleashed a real spate of creativity. When he was drinking, he said writing was like squeezing toothpaste out of the tube.

I'm doing well. Happy to be sober but not relaxing my vigilance. Mary
                          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

Hello, Everyone,

A day of tests for me. Mammo, Bone Density, and a CT Scan of my face.

The good news is that my doctor gave me a new prescription for pain. I had broken down yesterday and taken a Vicodin to get through the day, really whacks me out. Can't take those things.

I have something called Ultram. It works very well. A little loopy but not too bad and the pain is considerably diminished. Yay!!!!

She said I can take Ultram, it is non narcotic and not addictive. Whew!!

Hope all had a wonderful day.

Love,
                            Cindi
                            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

wow am I late!

Happy "Lucky" Friday everyone!!!!

thanks for the kickstart Beatle.
                              Nomore, nice to see you here
                              Skoots, big congrats on the AF time!

be well everyone....gotta.....zooom zooom!
                              nosce te ipsum
                              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                              X