Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOOZE BUSTERS 30 Day AF Challenge - Week of June 16!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Monday all you Booze Busters out there!! (and Happy Tuesday to our New Zealand Booze Busters and anyone else in the way out time zones!)

On-going Booze Busters, go to the next post! For anyone new, here's what us Booze Busters are all about.

Frequesnt Asked Questions (FAQ):

Q: What the sam hill is a Booze Buster?
    A: Anyone who has a serious goal of staying Alcohol Free (AF) for 30 days in a row, no matter what.

Q: Do I have to join at the start of the month?
    A: NO!! Your "Day 1" can be at any time. And if you are already into your first month or your hundredth month AF, you can join at any time. All who desire to be AF for at least 30more CONSECUTIVE days are welcome.

Q: Why are you being such a hard a$$ about 30 consecutive days AF?
    A: Because that's how tough I have to be on myself to succeed, and this challenge is meant to be "tough love" when it comes to the goal.

Q: What if I fall off the wagon - do I get kicked out?
    A: NO!! We do hope you will let us help you dust off the seat of your pants, and drag you right back onto the Booze Busters wagon. You will get your butt kicked, but you won't get kicked out. Oh - and we have a Fugly Green Suit you have to wear for a day during your butt kickin'. That polyester green suit with high water pants is worse than the butt kickin'. Give back your stars and bling and start over at Day 1 (for purposes of this challenge).

Q: What if I am tempted to drink - really really badly tempted?
    A: Come here for a kick in the seat of the pants! Read inspirational threads from start to finish, and if the desire to drink still exists, scream for help in the "Need Help Now" Section and yell for someone to join you in chat. (I wish I had done all that before the falls!!)

Q: What does the Booze Beast look like?
    A: :alf: Is one ugly SOB

Q: How does the group keep track of what day people are on?
    A: We count on YOU to shout out your stats loud and proud every day in whatever way suits you. For me, I'm collecting a star * for every AF day out of due respect for my inner child. At 30 days, collect your :bling (thank you Liv for the bling bling word!) Grab a shiny gold :award: for every consecutive 30 days. SHOUT OUT YOUR OWN MILESTONES so we can help you celebrate!

Speak up if you have other questions!! We are here to prove that WE CAN DO THIS! And that we can have a little fun while we're doing it! Let us know if you have suggestions as to how we can improve the BOOZE BUSTERS 30 Day Perpetual Challenge.
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Happy new week everyone!

Doggygirl, you must be up with the lark. Thanks for keeping us all in line :H

It's day 70 AF for me today. Whoo hoo! And my reward is.... DETOX. I've been eating loads of sugary food since going AF and I thought that's fine if I need to and it's not good for me but it's been a damn sight better than the booze. But I'm now feeling strong enough to let go of all the ice cream and cheesecake and fizzy drinks!

So I'm going to try for a week or so to cut out sugar, caffeine, dairy, wheat etc. It's brown rice and vegetables all the way! I'm going to miss cheese and my three mugs of tea at breakfast. I've never done a detox before so I've checked out a few recipes and it seems there's lots of cabbage and spinach involved. Just as well I've always loved my greens!

Have a great day all BOOZE BUSTERS!
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Happy Booze Bustin' Monday!!

Hi everyone!! Just a little catch up from yesterday...

SPANKY!!! Good for you reaching Day 3. The early days can be some of the hardest - so should it loud and proud!! I don't know if your drinking habits were as bad as mine, but when I first made a little AF stint last summer that was the FIRST time I had gone two days in a row with no booze in.....as long as I can remember. So it IS a really big deal for many of us! WE CAN DO THIS!!

jbphan, you are doing great too. You are so right about the committment it takes to get out of the drinking hell hole. The tools at MWO and other resources help, but it ain't magic. We still have to really work at this, and make our sobriety priority #1. (at least that's the way I have to look at it - and I don't think I'm alone!!)

endgame - WOO HOO Day 16!! You are right about that Fugly Green Suit. That's motivation enough right there!

kaddy thank you so much for your 100 day words of wisdom. Despite the challenges in your life, you sound so happy to be out of the drinking mess. We will ALL be wise to remember your words when we reach critical milestones and the drinkin' thinkin' kicks in. I don't know what to say about mods, other than I WISH I had not listened to the Beast about that when I hit 60 days last summer. But if there is good news, I now know with 100% certainty that I can't mod. I feel like I KNEW that in my heart all along...I wish I would have stuck with that.

Hannah PML at Wonder Woman - I always marvel at the bustline - it's not big, it's long. We KNOW that is not YOU behind that costume!!!!! Excellent comments about how we can plan relapses without really FULLY knowing that's what we're planning. ITA about reaching a point where the "newness" wears off and we become vulnerable again. Gotta keep the guard up all the time!!

cindi - I would be scared to death to have to fly out of town with your sickness!! Please be well and keep checking in to let us know you are OK, OK??

louise - Sorry I made you blush!! (well, I'm not REALLY sorry - I'm just ornery (sp)!!) Hee hee. Congrats on Day 17!! Hope you had fun at the pub - was it live music? What kind? Sounds like fun. I love the drink recipe you mentioned, and I think you are right that we need a thread for that. I will start one!!

Liv - good to see you as always!! Have a fun busy day!!

Teardrop - I think you are right that the way we "plan" sick days at times (i.e. we "deserve" them) is a lot like the subconscious planning that goes into a drink. Good food for thought. We want to see pictures of your garden!!

Mame, your new office sounds awesome!! Sounds like you took some risk - i.e. had to have some good vision to see what the place could become!! Glad you have room for expansion - I think you will be wildly successful. Can't wait to hear how the hypnosis goes. Let us know if the look matches the voice.

It's Day 26 here, and I can't believe I had to think about that for a moment (like 25? 26?). I looked at the calendar just to make sure. I did not expect to have a moment like THAT this early on. I'll take it as a good sign!!

Fathers Day went fine. Mr. Doggy and I brought steaks and sides so my Mom didn't have to cook anything (she hates indoor work of all types!!). Mom's flower gardens are beautiful. It was sad to see the almost empty vegetable garden. Usually my Dad has tons of different veggies going. With his knee and other problems, he wasn't able to get out early and plant. I guess the aging process is part of life that we have to accept, but it's not easy. Aside from that sort of sadness, it was a really nice day and Dad of course was very happy we were there. We must make a point of visiting more often. (when is the challenge!) It was especially fun to pick sweet red cherries right off the tree and eat them! Reminded me of the childhood years - very good memories there.

Today is the usual Monday - 7:30 referral group meeting, then a few errands then Curves. Then back to the office. The roof porch project involved my office - putting the door where a window used to be. So my office is getting a bit of remodeling too. It's going to be painted this week so I have to get files out of file drawers and all that jazz so the furniture can be moved around. (I'm already in a temp office across the hall!) This will turn into a bigger project than absolutely necessary, because of course I will take the opportunity to get rid of old files, archive records that need to be stored, but not handy, etc. Bleh.

Happy to be AF!! Hope everyone is off to a good day.

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi Marshy!! Cross posted. DAY 70 WOO HOO!!! Keep us posted on your detox program. LOL - I LOVE spinach - especially in a spinach and feta cheese omelette. I LOVE cabbage - especially Sweet & Sour Cabbage with Bacon. Somehow I don't figure those recipes are part of your detox. :H

Happy Monday!

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Don't, don't!! I LOVE feta cheese. Well, any kind of cheese really. I'm off to stock up on brown rice and porridge oats instead...
          Have a good day!
          sigpic
          AF since December 22nd 2008
          Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Sorry to rub in the cheese Marshy!!

I forgot to mention in my first post a reach out to Beck!! I hope your move went well. We miss you!! Hope you come right back here as soon as you have an internet connection again!

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Carrying over from last weeks thread - Hannah thank you for sharing your story. It's interesting how drinking can be OK and "normal" with one person, and a problem for the next person. Good for you and Mr. Hannah making sure that your son saw the right thing given the family history.

We saved a puppy today. These stories just make me want to throw up. One of the guys who trains here with us on Saturdays works for the phone company. A couple weeks ago he was on a service call at a house where there was a man an several young children, and a little Rottweiler pup that didn't look old enough to be weaned. Today he had to go back for a follow up call and while he was there heard the puppy screeching. My friend asked the guy about the puppy and the guy said "he's limping because one of my kids fell on it but he'll be OK." My friend asked to see the pup and the pup clearly had a broken foot that had not been cared for by a vet. When my friend told the guy the puppy had a broken foot and needed to urgently go to the vet, the guy asked my friend "do you want this puppy?" My friend is in no position to add another dog - he's already got 3 adults and one of his females has a litter due any day now.

He called me and asked for help. I got on the phone and found a no kill shelter that will see to the pup's veterinary needs. So my friend went back and got the pup, and now his wife is on the way to the shelter after giving it food and water and also some wormer - clearly that was a problem too. So now we are all on the hunt for someone who would like to adopt a little Rottie pup once it's all healed up and de-wormed and back to some state of decent health.

It felt good to help, but it just breaks my heart thinking of all the animals who are in those situations with no one to care for them.

Haven't even had time today to do any stinkin' drinkin' thinkin'. There is always a silver lining.

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

It was lovely reading everyone's posts last night, even if I didn't have much time to respond.

Hannah - your comments really resonated with me. I also have a family history of alcohol related problems. I wont go into all the details, but a couple of us decided a number of years ago that we would be open with our next generation about the problems that addiction has caused for our family rather than sweeping it under the carpet as our parents and grandparents did. That was a really good move - my nieces and nephews are all now into their 20s and 30s and for the most part, dont drink very much.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the AF drinks suggestions!! I've been looking up some recipes on the internet as well, so DG if you want to get that thread started I'l ad to it tonight when I get home!

Marshy - are you going to change you avatar to a green check??!!

A grotty, cold wet day here - one for sitting in front of the fire with hot soup and a good book instead of being at work! But I have my scots-man to look forward to at the end of the day!!!

mame
                Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

AF drinks

Oh, I just found the AF drinks thread over on the Discussion Board - haven't had much time there over the last week or so, so hadn't noticed it!

And of course I shouldn't be there right now, I should BE WORKING!!!

m
                  Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Hey BBs,

I had a great time yesterday meeting up with my American friend for the first time in years. Luckily he's now got a swanky new job that will involve lots more travel to the UK. Well, first thing he did was alert me to the tomato crisis in the US. I had completely missed that in the news. Poor guy has to fly all the way out to London to eat a safe tomato in peace. DG, Louise et al - just let us know if you need some supplies - we can put tinned tom[ah]toes in the post and throw in baked beans for good measure!!

But I digress. It turned out he hasn't been drinking much at all for the past 3 years. When I said I'd quit a month ago, his first response was "it's great that you can". We used to work together about 10 years ago and both liked our beer at the time. We didn't really get into how problematic our drinking had become since then, respectively, but rather focussed on the benefits of abstinence now. He's overcome a bout of depression and says he's never felt better. Because of his new job, he also knew loads about brain chemistry which was really interesting. I love being able to share this journey, and doing it, unexpectedly, with an old friend was really nice!!

DG- Good going forgetting which day you're on!! Though of course we're not forgetting that your big 3-0 is just around the corner... I've now marked my 40, 50 and 60 in the calendar but am actively trying not to count daily. Then again, maybe you lose track since you have so much on. It's amazing how you find the time to contribute to so many threads here. My explanation: your techno-geek hubby has built you a supercomputer in the living room with a high-speed keyboard. c:

Hannah - Thank you for sharing your story. What you've done is really admirable. Having put so much thought into it over the years and with your hubby's support, I'm sure you'll do well. I can relate to the stress related drinking - it's precisely that slippery slope I want to stop sliding down.

Mame - I've also never tried hypnotherapy but find it intriguing. I do think that what we believe and tell ourselves has everything to do with our ability to steer and control our actions. It makes eminent sense that hypnotherapy would work. Let us know how you get on. Just make sure it's a comprehensible Scottish accent... (no offence to Scots, but some parts of Glasgow...)

All newbies on days 1-7: keep jumping in and let us know how you're getting on!

Kaddy and Marshy - 170 days between you! WOW!

Endgame - I'll count on you to enlist Little Italy in the tomato lifeline project to the US. And with Louise, congrats on passing the half-way point!

I tried to look for the lithium orotate today but no luck so far. We'll see how this night turns out with just the regular sleep aids. Good night all!

Comment

Pamina, it sounds like you had a fabulous time with your American friend!! It's great that you both have abstinence in common now. Let us know any interesting brain chemistry tidbits you find. I found that stuff facinating (although it stretches me, and I can't repeat back much!) when I quit smoking. I think lots of the same stuff happens with booze and other addictive substances. Messes up the way the "pleasure centers" work and the dopamine connection and all that stuff that is way over my head. What did your friend tell you????? Good for you marking your calendar!! WHEE!!

LOL - on Mr. D and computers. I'm still waiting for the computerized automatic toilet scrubbing computerized robot that he promised me for Christmas so many years ago I can't count that high. I type fast though!

Mame, I found an older (but not THAT old) thread on the topic of drinks so I just bumped it up and took the liberty of cut / pasting Louise's recipe in there. THAT recipe sounds awesome. I might have to make that this Saturday as my special dog training day treat. Mr. Doggy might like it too as he's nuts for ginger. I hope you share whatever recipes you find on the net that look interesting!

The tomato crisis here hit Florida. That's bad for grocery store tomatoes because a high % for the nation are grown in Florida. But we don't expect any problems with the local farmers market - we will be loading up!! I like to can tomatoes - it's literally THE ONLY vegetable I've ever canned or frozen myself. But it's really easy to do - at least the way my mom & granny taught me, so we'll be in tomatoes for the summer (well, early July) through the winter around here.

Well, Mr. Doggy is mowing the yard so I had dinner by myself (well, with a novel I'm reading!) and now I'm winding it down. We shall see if I can stay awake through the last episode of Desparate Housewives on Season 1 Disc 2. That show is hilarious!! I can't believe I never watched it all these years. Even Mr. Doggy cracks up over it. Excellent "bad to worse" TV.

I believe I saw Beck's name...gotta go find out how her move went!

Then I'm collectin' another day in the drink tracker!! See you Booze Busters tomorrow!!

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

good night all

To Marshy- the whole detox thing is very popular right now as Oprah has started to detox. My friends who have, are VERY adamant they feel better and plan to again. Good Luck with it.

Doggy Girl- good luck with your puppy. I have a Border Collie who I wish would run for Congress. He is brilliant and kind with strong values.

The river is rising. Trains are stopped as the trucks are under water. Barge traffic is shut down. Highways closed. And thousands out to their homes. Sandbags are everywhere. Mother nature is a force to deal with!!

If I make the 30 days, I hope it helps shed some pounds. :hiya:

Comment

Spanky, you must be in the midwest. It looks like a real disaster, especially in Iowa. I hope you and yours are safe.
                          I hope the puppy finds a good home DG. It is very distressing that people get animals without being prepared to care for them. I get really irrate when I read the ads in the paper that say, "Moving, 4 year old dog to a good home", etc. I know there are sometimes illnesses or other circumstances that force people to give up pets but the number just abandoned is astounding. Spay and neuter your pets!!! Pamina, I'm glad you had such a nice time with your friend. I sounds very positive. Tomatoes have reappeared in the stores from states on an approved list. "Real" ones (for me this means local) will be along soon! Yum! If we were not going to be gone for 2 weeks in July, I would plant some and hope the dog did not get them all (he loves to pick them off the plant jand eat them ust before they get ripe enough for us)
                          I hope you hypno therapy went well Mame.
                          70 days for Marshy!!! Yeah! You sound energized for a detox.
                          Hannah, that is wonderful that you were able to provide such good models for your son and hope he remains problem free.
                          Hi to everyone else I missed. Hope you all had a good day.
                          I got lots throwing out of old paperwork, clearing files done and the stacks are almost gone. Am tired and headed to early bed.

Comment

So far so good

Not sure what day it is but creeping up on 30. Maybe around 20? I don't have time to post here but enjoy reading the posts. Good luck to all. Keep it strong!

Comment

Hiya Everyone,

Hannah...Thank you for sharing your story it just really makes me think....that when things do get very stressful, it only takes that split second. It sounds like this time you are really strong.... I still feel new for some reason, im glad your here we can learn a lot from you hannah .... Well done on 48days AF.
                              Mashy...Detox Hmmmm good luck with brown rice, ilove prrridge but i have to have sugar. im sure you will feel really goood inside afterwards. dont know if i could copy with not haveing tea my best drink in the morning.
                              Cindi...Take care of yourself i do hope you start feeling a lot better in yourself, sending you lots of strength your way.x
                              Auntry mame...sounds nice that hot soup with a good book, dont forget you have work the next day.
                              spanky...hope the weather gets better where you are.
                              eksil...well done on your AF days.
                              Pamina...Dont know about you but have you notice the price of food and fruit has gone up so high. NO wonder i have no money. my brother once said that tomatoes are meant to stop you from ageing. so i do eat a lot of tomatoes now.

Kaddy... where are you... you are up before me, hope you have not overslept.

DG...Its amazing how this thread grows over night there must be some magic seed in this thread. at the moment i have no pictures of my garden , but when its looking at it best i will post some. my garden is not that big but i love sitting outside in the summer time. we do have a fig tree. my mother inlaw give us but i dont eat figs that much, not sure if i spell that right they are a fruit.
                              That poor Rottweiler WOW they do grow up to be big dogs i dont think i can handle a rottweiler. How neighbour had one and it jump through her front window last year and ran across the main road. All because it seen a lady with a baby crying and though it was the family baby at home had been taken away. It was something out of a police movie. I dont understand why people buy these dogs in the first place. Hope it finds a home soon!

Everyone have a great day.x

Take Care

Love
                              Teardrop.x
                              family is everything to me

Comment

Working...
                              X