Whssuuuup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whssuuuup?

So I was told this is a good place to come, well here I am.
    Though my goal is a lot more than 30 days, we all gotta start somewhere.
    I'm into my 6th day now and still goin strong. Thank God for guitars and inspiring guitarists!!
    To all those who don't know what to do with their time without drinking... try picking up a hobby, something you really love to do. I've found that it really really helps keep my mind off of the booze. Though guitar for me is more than just a hobby, it's something that keeps me calm and challenged.
    So any hobby suggestions are more than welcome, you might just help someone quit.
    Mike...

Whssuuuup?

Hey Mike,

I remember you from a while back. Were you in Israel then?

Glad you have come back to MYO.

K

Comment

Whssuuuup?

Hi ducky,
      Ya, Israel. Was in the states for a while, back in Israel now.
      Good to be back... (in a sad kinda way) (:
      Mike...

Comment

Whssuuuup?

Welcome to Subscribers LOONEY PIN...make yourself at home...
        sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Whssuuuup?

Mike R.;362649 wrote: Thank God for guitars and inspiring guitarists!!
          How right you are! I teach guitar as a sideline, and I noticed, maybe a month into sobriety, that my guitar playing had increased in speed and accuracy, quite considerably. Now of course part of this will be to do with the fact that I had recently spent more time practicing than drinking - but I'm equally sure that part of it will be to do with clarity of mind and the absence of the neurological anchors that alcohol abuse imposes on an alcoholic.

Keep playing!

ZM

Comment

Whssuuuup?

welcom mike just sit yourself down and enjoy very good site gyco

Comment

Whssuuuup?

Well we are glad to have you back. And I totally understand the "in a sad sort of way" feeling.

I hope you will feel connected here again,

K

Comment

Whssuuuup?

Congrats on your 6 days!

Comment

Whssuuuup?

Hi Mike,
                  I am making an assumption that you are a native of Israel?
                  Not that is related to your post but just nosey!?
                  I often give out to my husband that I have no hobbies, I do everything for everyone else - blah nag blah nag - and this is why a need a drink in the evening - who am I kidding?
                  I like reading, swimming, watching films.. but a lot of this is done on my own and I am not sure if this is helping me. I would be very interested in hobbies that could help me to make friends - other than my husband and my mother!. I have just joined a book club in the library so hoping this will combine my interest in books, GETTING OUT OF THE HOUSE!, and meeting people. I also love animals, especially dogs, so I have just signed up as a volunteer with an animal charity. I also love the art deco period of stuff - the whole 1920s/30s thing, Great Gatsby, Hercule Poirot etc. so I think there is a club that meets and has fairs to exchange and swop etc. - all sounds very nurdy I know but hell, I just don't think I care what people think anymore!!
                  Wishing you all the best - what time is it there in Israel?
                  :h
                  Bandit
                  There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

Comment

Whssuuuup?

It is amazing how all hobbies and talents have been stifled since the onset of alcohoism around 2001, for me.
                    I too, am a guitarist and I made and attempt to play a few weeks ago and heard my Mom say " Yeah!". It lasted a few minutes for such time had passed and the strings were too old to tune.
                    I have her out, sitting right before me and as I am pulling out of the latest struggle with alcohol misery, I am breathing hopes of the mysteries that await.
                    Art has been on hold, can't even find my art portfolio, probably lost er' in a drunken stupor somewhere. But, even with that, I am NOT giving up HOPE, never e v e r.

Glad you are inspired.
                    In Las Vegas, Nevada (kinda sad)about this as well for I belong all over the globe as I was raised in Europe.

In time, all good things, in time, I keep saying to my self.

Good thoughts your way and to all,

Karen
                    :notes:Theme2be

" Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them~everyday begin the task anew".-Saint Francis de Sales

Comment

Whssuuuup?

Well Theme, I think you need to get yourself a new set of strings,
                      Some new pencils a scetch book and get back to it! I also draw so I know how fulfilling it can be when you see something you're proud of come out of your hands. Or hear for that matter. First and foremost, I'm a musician. I play guitar, bass, drums, a little piano, sax, trumpet and didgeridoo. But I also draw, I'm a blacksmith, I like carving in wood, in short anything creative dose it for me... and I dropped it all to devote all my time and waste it on drinking myself stupid! It's amazing how fast you get back to where you were technicly and then just rush pass it when you pick it back up in a sober state of mind. Give it a try. Steve Vai comes to me a lot easier now than he did before. I just learned the first half of his Beethoven's 5th by ear... no way in hell would I be able to do that drunk.
                      Just fill your spare time with things that satisfy your soul, rather than drowning it's silent scream to do what you dream of.
                      Like I always say,
                      God bless us all and give us strength to win this battle.
                      Mike...

Comment

Whssuuuup?

well very glad to meet you buddy.. make yourself at home and sit back and enjoy the ride ..
                        it does get easyer with time . good luck.
                        peace , love and god bless
                        :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                        best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Whssuuuup?

I so agree that AL just removes all motivation for anything but drinking. For me, it wasn't only the drinking. It was the planning, hiding, disposing of etc. All the rituals around drinking are almost as addictive as the drinking itself. I'm back to gardening, knitting, exercising, etc. Mary
                          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                          X