Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

August Abbercise!! GET OFF THAT SOFA!!

Hi all,

The month's trial period at my gym has ended and I signed up for a year's membership today. Commitment!! I've booked a session with a trainer on Monday who will work out a gym programme for me - I need someone to tell me to spend 10 mins on X and 10 mins on Y etc rather than flailing around by myself. Other than that I've rediscovered my love of swimming this month. I'd lost that somewhere along the way.

Happy exercising everyone!
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

That sounds awesome Marshy!! Both the rediscovered love of swimming, and the personal trainer to help devise a good workout plan. Here's to new and healthy lifestyles!!

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I am peeking out from behind my couch as we speak! I know I need to be more accountable for my exercise so here I am...ready to take the plunge. In the 18 days I have been AF I have taken one long walk. Isn't that deplorable? I know it would help with my fatigue but I can't seem to decide on something I would like (so I would stick with it). Walking is a good place to start for someone, such a me, who is wildly out of shape. When I get off work in 3-4 hrs I'm going to go to a trail with some good shade and walk a couple of miles. Does that sound like an OK start for a couch potato? I hope everone has a great weekend!!! kriger
        "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Well, I pulled off a 7 mi bike ride pulling an 80# autistic child on his bike rig. May try and run with hubby when he gets home....maybe

Happy trails

omw
          Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

:b&d::sofa:

OK - DROP AND GIVE ME 20!!!!

(don't ask me 20 what because I don't know)

I missed working out on Saturday as we were at the vet's office before Curves was open, then had to deal with dog training day. BUT...I had a GREAT workout on Monday - Eville Sekwet Komputer said over 400 calories burned, then another 350 today for my 80% day.

One of the gals who works there - but in the afternoon so I rarely see her - came in to work out while I was there. She said..."they told me you were melting away!" WHEE!!!!! Vanity lives. I loved it!!

Let's get busy!! :b&d:

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Ran 3 miles and canned 20 qts of garlicy, smokin hot salsa!!!

Doggie, I'll take your 20 and raise you 20 more:H
              Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

OMW, I have a Schwinn spinner, it's pretty old and not comfortable for me (I have a really short torso and it is built more for a male torso, of course, like everything else, grrrr!) but it gives me a quick workout if all else fails, and if I can get myself up onto it... it is in the living room so I can turn on TV or a video... Sounds like you are doing GREAT with your riding... what kind of bike do you have? My "road" bike is a Surly Cross-Check, which is burly, not a light-weight thing, but I love it. Good for urban riding because it is NOT delicate, but it is very well-designed and well-built.

I missed my workout today, just exhausted, ended up taking a quick nap before going to see mother in the hospital, then to the clinic to do supervision and run a group. I'll get back on track tomorrow. Feels GREAT to be getting back in shape and getting into some smaller pants.

Kriger, I just looked back over my calendar, it took me a couple of weeks into AF before I really started making it a point to exercise, and at first it was just short (but fairly brisk) walks. That started to feel really good, so I kicked it up a notch. You'll get there! The "walking" idea is a good one, I think.

DG: you inspire me! And Marshy, too! I am MOST impressed!

wip

Comment

Hi All
                  I just got back from a great trip with my wife visiting my daughter in Ann Arbor Michigan.It has been a busy travel time for me .
                  This AM rode the bike 15 miles and then played an easy game of doubles tennis this afternoon.Interesting thing that with my workout schedule being broken, I found myself missing my workouts and al was not even a thought. I was just looking forward to getting back on the tennis court.
                  Great to read about the commitment people are making to using physical activity to push the al into the background. When you are tired or can't find time to workout just remember we were never to tired or didn't have time to not drink.I try to use this to motivate myself but I know it is not always possible to push yourself
                  Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                  Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                  AF 5-16-08

Comment

OMW - 20 quarts of Salsa on top of 3 miles WOO HOO!!!! (SEND SALSA AND I PROMISE NOT TO :b&d::sofa: YOU! SEND IT NOW! DO NOT INVOLVE THE COPS!)

WIP - here's to smaller pants :grannypants: :cheering:!!!!!

When you are tired or can't find time to workout just remember we were never to tired or didn't have time to drink.
                    Caysea, THAT is one for the ages. I might steal that for my signature line at SMART. You will never know how much you have inspired me. Please NEVER stop posting here in abbercisers, OK? It really is about a new lifestyle. I know very little about AA - never been to a meeting. Some people yesterday were discussing the "dry drunk" concept and what it's intended to mean, and how it's sometimes mis-used within AA. At any rate, the example you set for us every day is the opposite of what "dry drunk" means - you are not just not drinking, you are making changes in your whole life. (yes I thought of you yesterday as a shining good example in the context of that discussion!!)

Had another good workout at Curves. When I really push on Monday, that is always my best day of the week following a day of rest on Sunday. But the Komputer still showed pretty good news for a Wednesday!! And I won 2 Curves Bucks playing buckets today. Life if good.

Off to an on-line meeting...

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

WiP, I?ve used a trainer and my road bike for spinning. For those of that don?t know what one is; the trainer is a neat little gadget, the rear wheel of your bike slips into. You adjust the tension and ride?stationary, very cool little thing. Mine folds up and easily slips under my bed. You can get fancy models; computerized with bell and whistles. Mine is very basic.
                      A few years ago I had a Specialized put together to fit me. It?s light and very comfortable to ride. It makes a huge difference when the width of the handle bars is correct to your shoulders and the distance between you bars and seat fit your body. They actually make a tiny bike seat that fits the shape of a woman?s bottom side too.

I look forward to riding more aggressively as I get my issues sorted out.

omw

Comment

Hi all,

Got a gym programme worked out for me: 10 mins cross-trainer, 10 mins bike, 10 mins rowing machine, optional 10 mins on a thing that you stand on and goes side-to-side (similar motion to skiing) - don't know the name of that yet. Then a list of sets to do on five or six different resistance weights machines. Whole thing takes about an hour, then I go for a swim. Time consuming, yes, but I'm LOVING it. Don't seem to be losing any weight yet though... bah!

Does anyone else have problems with foot pain? I've developed a sore heel/side of foot (only my right foot, the other one's fine) that is especially tender first thing in the morning. I've bought some heel pad inserts for my trainers and used those today and that seems to help a bit. Just wondering how common this is? I've spoken to a couple of friends who run and they both use inserts so maybe it's something that people who are used to exercising know about but it's all new to me. Any thoughts?
                        sigpic

Comment

Lost my whole durn reply to Marshy and OMW. Anyhow, just got home from a ride up to the university and back to make copies for later today... Hot out there!

Marshy, I think your foot hurts because you are working out TOO MUCH, and it is cosmic pay-back for showing us all up!!! LOL oh well truly I would like to get into it as much as you are, and I might be on my way. Checked out the University gym, and of course it is free just to use it but the yoga classes etc. are $50 a week for 2 classes each week. Decided I was not adequately motivated...

OMW tell me more about that bike saddle? I am using a Brooks and am pretty happy with it.

wip

Comment

You guys- I need help! My sofa has me pinned down; I can't get out from under it!!!!!! Any suggestions?? I know it is holding me hostage. I barely got my arms free to do this post!!! kriger
                            "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Kriger - remember that story about a woman who fell down the gap between her bookcase and the wall behind it (god only knows what she was doing) and was found dead some time later? Be careful! Furniture can kill!!!

Wip - ha! Maybe my foot has showoffitis. Yoga sounds very expensive in those parts!
                              sigpic

Comment

WHEE!!! Abbercise Action!!! Love it love it love it.

Beware Kriger....this thread is like a bad disease. You will catch the abbercise fever and no piece of furniture will be able to hold you back!! :b&d: Actually, now that you plan to quit smoking exercise would be an AWESOME addition to your program. I swear it will make you think about drinking AND smoking less often than however often you do now. [/ad] (commercial over)

Marshy I have no idea what to tell you about your foot. Must be very frustrating though!! Might need to just make a doc appointment even though that's a pain in the butt? Mean time, sounds like you have a GREAT workout program going and the important thing is that you are lovin' it. I think the better guage of improved fitness than the scale (Mr. Eville at my house) is a pair of "test jeans." Feels mighty good when another pair goes from "tight" to "hot!!" (well, in my case the "hot" part might be a bit of an exaggeration....but you know what I mean )

OMW - I bet having a custom bike probably DOES make big difference. It makes sense that there is an optimal position of all the body parts relative to other body parts for comfort and I'm sure optimizing all the motion that goes into riding. That gizmo to turn your bike into a stationary bike sounds really awesome. What a good idea for bad weather days, or even for people who might drive to places to ride on the weekends, but don't have good places to ride during the work week.

Good for you WIP on that bike ride!!! (we need a "pedalling like mad" smilie. Also "running like mad" and "tennis like mad" etc.) You all set for your class tonight? I think it's tonight...right? (I'm losing track of days!)

Had an OK workout today for 80% day. Wasn't a "huge" burn for 80%, but didn't suck either. In good news, I won 2 more Curves Bucks playing buckets. I'm on workout number 120 tomorrow, and I need to have enough Bucks ($150!!!) by workout 200 so I can get the shirt. I've been making out like a bandit on monthly weigh / measures but my body seems to be taking a break this month. Maybe I'm losing inches in preparation for the revealing of the newer hotter me.

Alright everyone!! Heed Marshy's warning - furniture KILLS!!!!! :b&d: so GET BUSY ABBERCISING!!!!

DG
                                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                                X