Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOOZE BUSTERS-Week of 8/4 -30 Day (A)bsolutely (F)abulous (H)angover (F)ree Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BOOZE BUSTERS-Week of 8/4 -30 Day (A)bsolutely (F)abulous (H)angover (F)ree Challenge

Happy Monday all you Booze Busters out there!!

(and Happy Tuesday to our New Zealand Booze Busters and anyone else in the way out time zones!)

On-going Booze Busters, go to the next post! For anyone new, here's what us Booze Busters are all about.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):

Q: What the sam hill is a Booze Buster?
    A: Anyone who has a serious goal of staying Hangover Free (HF) (=Alcohol Free (AF)) for 30 days in a row, no matter what.

Q: Do I have to join at the start of the month?
    A: NO!! Your "Day 1" can be at any time. And if you are already into your first month or your hundredth month AF, you can join at any time. All who desire to be AF for at least 30more CONSECUTIVE days are welcome.

Q: Why are you being such a hard a$$ about 30 consecutive days AF?
    A: Because that's how tough I have to be on myself to succeed, and this challenge is meant to be "tough love" when it comes to the goal.

Q: What if I fall off the wagon - do I get kicked out?
    A: NO!! We do hope you will let us help you dust off the seat of your pants, and drag you right back onto the Booze Busters wagon. You will get your butt kicked, but you won't get kicked out. Oh - and we have a Fugly Green Suit you have to wear for a day during your butt kickin'. That polyester green suit with high water pants is worse than the butt kickin'. Give back your stars and bling and start over at Day 1 (for purposes of this challenge).

Q: What if I am tempted to drink - really really badly tempted?
    A: Come here for a kick in the seat of the pants! Read inspirational threads from start to finish, and if the desire to drink still exists, scream for help in the "Need Help Now" Section and yell for someone to join you in chat. (I wish I had done all that before the falls!!)

Q: What does the Booze Beast look like?
    A: :alf: Is one ugly SOB.

Q: How does the group keep track of what day people are on?
    A: We count on YOU to shout out your stats loud and proud every day in whatever way suits you. For me, I'm collecting a gold star *
    for every AF day out of due respect for my inner child. At 30 days, collect your :bling (thank you Liv for the bling bling word!) Grab a shiny gold :award: for every consecutive 30 days. SHOUT OUT YOUR OWN MILESTONES so we can help you celebrate!

Speak up if you have other questions!! We are here to prove that WE CAN DO THIS! And that we can have a little fun while we're doing it! Let us know if you have suggestions as to how we can improve the BOOZE BUSTERS 30 Day Perpetual Challenge.

DG
    Day 75 AFHF
    :award: + :award: + ***************
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Picking up from yesterday...

Diane, do you travel a lot on business? Will you be on the road again this week? I would be going to MWO withdrawls! I used to travel a lot for business and I must say I'm glad I don't have to do that any more! If I ever get on an airplane again, I hope it will be to go somewhere for VACATION that requires crossing an ocean.

Sheep - the flu is a horrid means to get AF their girl!!! Seriously - 4 days of the flu is a long time, and I hope you are feeling better today.

mwo2 - I type fast so my posts get long - my apologies!! Congrats on Day 37 now. I haven't really had too many drinking dreams but used to have smoking dreams quite a bit in my first few months nicotine free. The explanation I was given for those is that our brains WANT A FIX of whatever addictive substance we have given up very badly. If the brain can't get in the conscious realm, it goes to work in the subconscious and sleep realms. Obviously not an explanation in strict medical terms! The whole brain chemistry thing is facinating IMO.

Hi Lila of The Many Stars!!!

Liv - where do you find those caps with the holes these days? LOL the mention of those (good idea by the way!) brought up visions of hair salon scenes from the I Love Lucy era. If I can find one of those caps, will you help me pick what color I should go with? (I of course can give you my brand and "base" color...) I'm such a nimnuts when it comes to girly girl things.

louise, welcome back to the wagon - it must be hard to support your sister from so far away. I'm glad to hear she is sounding a bit better. I'm sure she will have many ups and downs. She if fortunate to have such a caring person as you are in her life!! I hope you and Mr. louise come up with an awesome plan for your belated anniversary.

Mame - with all you have dealt with over the last few months it makes sense that you feel like you are starting over with all routines. I hope you can have some calm and orderly feeling time after so much chaos. (physically like with all the moving, and emotionionally!!)

Well, I think that BBQ was the first larger one I've hosted sober in a long long time. Facing Mr. Doggy's family totally sober was a good reminder to me of exactly how boring they really are. Well...that's a harsh way of putting it. I just have nothing in common with them. We have no hobbies or career interests in common. They all have children and some are at that "hoping for grandchildren" stage so catching up on all the niece / nephew activities is a big thing, and me and Mr. Doggy are child free, so after about the first hour of that it's really hard to relate to. (we have nothing against children - just didn't work out that we have any) The majority of the family is also very religious in a very evangalistic way, so there is always a big dose of that which I have a hard time with.

They are nice enough people - we just have nothing in common so the day gets really long. It is a small victory though - just acknowledging lack of anything in common as the issue. Previously (well under the influence of course), I would have been on the hunt for some reason one or more of them did something to piss me off as a way of explaining 1) why I'm not crazy about them and 2) why I felt compelled to drink my face off. So it feels sort of good to not get all dramatic and just be sober and acknowledge what's real and not such a big deal. I hope that makes sense - probably not LOL! I will say that the two littlest kids (ages 5 & 6) are QUITE entertaining. Oh the honesty of children! Dad got "fired" by one of them, and the other made a quite honest remark about "Grandma" that I won't even repeat here!

Well, I'm wrapping up the early morning "me" time and need to get ready to head to the golf outing. I'm sure the booze cart will be making the rounds a LOT today, but I'm not having any of it. I will be packin' my water and SF teas with fruity tasting stuff, and that is that. I really don't want to drink AF beer today either since I had a couple Saturday and again yesterday.....has too many carbs to become a daily thing for me - plus I don't like the symbolic thing....

Happy Monday and I hope everyone gets off to a GREAT start to an AF week and month!!

DG
    Day 75 AFHF
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Good morning everybody! I am 7 (count 'em, SEVEN weeks) today! Even after Lenair, some days have been tough but that is in the throes of a separationadn looming divorce that is not pretty. So, :goodjob: to Greenie.

Doggy, I know just what you mean about acknowledging rather than looking for some reason that isn't even there. Lightens one's load a bit, doesn't it?

BTW, I joined the doggie park yesterday and took doggie last night. Must have been about 30 doggies from great danes to puppies. It was for me as much as her. We both need to broaden our horizons. The people knew it was or first day and were very welcoming to both of us. One woman brought three little kiddie pools and a sprinkler. My doggie wallowed in all of them and had a grand time. Unfortuanately I left my camera at home.

Have a great AF day.
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Greeneyes, The doggy park sounded welcoming good for you! And super kudos on 7 Weeks!!!

Doggy, "Aknowledge whats real" love that! When all said and done it really is easier!

My fav. AFHF thing yesterday was realizing how nice it is to get up every morning open all the blinds and let the light shine in ( hm there is a song for that) Used to be that I hid behind the blinds...
        sooo blind.

Well busy 2 weeks for me, running the office for a friends while her manager goes on vaca... which is my fav. AFHF thing today...
        I am bright eyed and bushy tailed...

Will check in this eve. for my "dose".

Love this thread thanks all....
        workout:chick:mwo2

It's my world to make now...cuz I found my way out.

Comment

Checking in- still under the weather. Going to doctor.
          thanks for kind wishes. Good to see you Mame and Greeneyes!!!!
          Hi to everyone
          Good Monday to all
          -Sheep

Comment

Hello, Everyone I am doing a quick check in. I wanted to say hello to everyone. I have been a little out of it. I had a root canal started on Thursday. I was in a LOT OF PAIN.
            I have a fear of the dentist so I waited to long to go. So she at least started the process she took the nerve out so I am feeling better. I just rested the whole weekend was really nice. I am AF 15 days
            My second weekend free of Al. I told my husband I didn't even mind the root canal thing it kept my ass at home. what ever it takes to break the AL cycle. I guess you can be grateful for anything that helps you out.

Louise- I am sorry for your lose and your sister. I will keep you in my prayers.

Sheep- I hope you are feeling better real soon

Hello to everyone on this thread

Comment

Morning all! Have decided that my new routine will include starting the day here, and also when I come home from work! So here I am! My challenge for today is starting to get my head back to the positive space that it was in before all this upheaval ........I think it will be baby steps for a few days though. But at least they will be forward steps!
              Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Hi all -
                Posting late tonight - I have had a hectic few days.
                DG - I love honesty - esp. about inlaws! I found myself thinking You need a drink to get thru that! But that is not healthy thinking. I guess.
                Greeneyes - I got divorced about a year ago - acrimonious, unfortunately. Now I am taking him back to court to 'enforce the decree' . It is so much wear and tear on me! Now I go biking a lot with my youngest daughter. I do it for my mental health, and if I get in shape, that's good too. Still, I would never ever go back to being married. To him, I mean. Be sure to take extra good care of yourself during this time.
                Aunty Mame - I like your IQ I can message. It is cheering and I am needing cheer.
                I am feeling very down and discouraged. Wednesday I get my hair cut and I have a cute picture, so that's cheery.
                Take care all
                Lila ***********

Comment

DG, sounds like you did very well with the bbq. That would be tough have in-laws you did not have anything in common with. I am so fortunate - I like most of my family, including cousins, etc. Sounds like you put yourself in an "interested observer" role which is always kind of entertaining. Yes, Greenie, good for you! The dog park sounds fun. Animals always seem to be able to brighten the day.

You are sounding very chipper MWO2. Yes, I think that song was about the dawning of the age of aquarius - showing my age here! Sheep I'm very glad you went to the dr. and really hope you are better soon. A root canal does not sound fun at all Sothankful but congrats on your 15 days. Mame, I hope you are able to just relax a bit and catch up on sleep after a very emotional and busy month.

Lila, I'm sorry to hear you are feeling down and discouraged. Not sure what support to offer but hope you are feeling better soon. I'm very sorry you have to go back to court - it is such a waste of time and money and very aggravating.

We went to one of the Indian Pueblos today to watch the dancing so that was a nice outing. Yikes! summer is over in terms of vacation and I have to go back to work Wed. Where did it go? Well i haven't exactly met my goals for the summer, but I was Af for about 3/4 of it, so that is good and I feel I'm getting back on track.

Hi to everyone.

Comment

DG congrats on over 2 months and "July" belated congrats on one year... your kids would be proud of you if they were adults looking back at you right now.

Well it looks like my wife has hodgkins but I will post more later, tomorrow we review the PET scan.

A few bottles of wine over the last week or so, but I am pledging here - right now - AF until she is cancer free. I need to support her and healthy living is a must. Here's to good eats! I have to say this forum has helped me over the past few months - I haven't been drinking more than two bottles of wine per week.

Much love and thanks to All here.

Comment

It has been a great day! not without its frustrations, but a day of normality! Slow start and an early finish which i really needed. The joys of working for yourself!! Things have felt much better today and am crawling back into my normally generally optimistic self! YAY!!

Eksil - I hope your wife's results are what you expect and can deal with. And yes - healthy living is a must!!

Lila - best of luck with the hair cut!! I just saw the latest Rolling Stones movie on the weekend and I thought it was remarkable that none of them had ever suffered from male pattern baldness:H:H:

MWO2 - such optimism!!! Keep it coming!

Louise, Sheepish, Greeneyes - hello!

Thinking lots today about routines. Some old thoughts and some new ones. Hate to say it Louise, but your comment on summer almost being over made me feel quite cheerful .... as it means that ours is on its way! I do think that weather and seasonality plays a big role in how I feel - this time of year is about the worst for me and I am really looking forward to the end of this one.

Uncle mame and I just did a thing we do every now and then which was him absent-mindedly starting to whistle a tune and i chime in with whistling the harmonies ...... this time it was Hermans Hermits "something tells me I'm into something good". It was a very nice moment and a good feeling about having turned the corner!

I have really appreciated the messages and thoughts from everyone here over the past couple of weeks :thanks::thanks::thanks:
                      Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

hi everyone,, hope you are all doing well
                        things still good here
                        am on 149 days af,,, never foret l would get here,,, but its with all the help fromyou lot on here,,
                        so thank you all very very much
                        there is no shame in losing a fight,, only in winning

Comment

Good morning (or whatever time it is for you!!) Booze Busters!

Greenie CONGRATS on 7+ weeks AF!!! You are doing so good with this, despite an ugly divorce, etc. You must have BGP of Steel! (BGP = Big Girl Pants for those new to this Greenie term!) Glad you had fun at the doggy park. When you say "joined" - is this a private one where they make sure you know what the rules are, and check for vaccinations and stuff?

mwo2 - ITA about feeling good in the AM!! It's sure a lot easier to face busy and/or stressful times without a stinkin' hangover every day.

Sheep I hope you get feeling better soon!! I'm glad you are going to the doc because this is way too long for a regular flu to last, I think.

sothankful CONGRATS on Day 16AF, and also 2 AF weekends in a row! Sorry about the root canal - but at least you are looking at a positive side of that. Hopefully "whatever it takes to stay AF" on future weekends won't involved pain like that!!!

Mame, it's nice to hear you sounding as though you are moving into "phase next" of your life for now. LOL at the vision of you and Uncle Mame spontaneously whistling!! (to a good Oldie at that!) I know what you mean about the seasons. Summer seems to be a time for me to make forward progress while winter seems to be a time to hang on and try not to backslide. Summer is coming for you - I hope when we are wintering on this side of the world you will share rays of sunshine with us!!

Lila Woman of Many Stars I'm sorry to hear you are feeling discouraged. Please let us know if and how we can help!! Mean time I am proud of you for staying AF and also for your time spent biking. Being sober and healthy is a better way to deal with difficult things (YUK on having to go back to court with X) than being hungover, although it's easy to get confused on that point. I hope your hair cut turns out cute!!

louise - the Pueblos visit sounds very interesting - wish I could have gone with you! Wow - back to work Wednesday already. This summer sure seems to be flying by at record speed. I'm glad you are positively reflecting on 3/4 of it being AF!! That is a really good accomplishment. Hope you do something fun today for your last day off - not working to get ready to go back to work!!

eksil I'm so sorry to hear about the official diagnosis of your wife's condition. She certainly will need you to be healthy and strong for her. It sounds like you have been doing well controlling your drinking more than before, and I admire your committment to take that up a notch so you can be at your best to support her. That is a very loving and committed thing to do. We are here to support you in whatever ways we can.

kaddy!!! Congrats on Day 149!!!! Wow - you are getting close to a 1/2 year!! That is so awesome. You are an inspiration to me. If you read this, could I beg you for that avacado / blue cheese recipe again? Pwetty Pwease????

The golf outing was interesting yesterday. I had fun taking pictures of all the foursomes. I took my own camera as a "back up" because the Chamber had me using a disposable point and shoot camera, and I'm not used to having NO feedback after the shot if it was blurry, or if I cut the heads off, etc. LOL - I'm spoiled by digital!! I hope when they got the film developed at the 11th hour most of the pictures were OK since they planned to give them out to the teams last night at the dinner.

I did end up having a few AF beers - gotta rethink AF beers. There are both plusses and minuses emerging to that I think, but I'll save more of that for later. There was a guy at the golf outing who apparently was sponsoring something or other (have no idea what). He is a chamber member and has a local concrete business, and is a HUGE drunk. It's embarrasingly obvious. He was stumbling around and babbling non-sensically by 1PM. Of course *I* know now that I always *thought* I was more in control of my drunkeness than I ever *really* was. So seeing ol' Larry making a complete :bum: of himself was sort of like a scary look in the mirror. I hope I never embarrassed myself / husband / business THAT badly....but.....it was cringeworthy. I'm so grateful to be sober.

I have a busy busy day again today (I'm ready for a friggin' day off!!) and I gotta get a move on. Will try to check back later - mean time I hope everyone has a ROCKIN' day kickin' Booze Beast Booty.

DG
                          Day.....76?? AFHF
                          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Good Morning All !!!

Gotta fly !! Running a tad late ...

I am AFHF just stinking late....

type to ya tonight...

Hope all is well
                            workout:chick:mwo2

It's my world to make now...cuz I found my way out.

Comment

Hi BB BUddies
                              So good to see everyone!
                              Well- I did go to doctor and it seems I have a food borne bacterial thing (essentially some gnarly ongoing food poisoning) He gave me some serious anitbiotics to kill the little buggers and I should feel better. I am hoping this starts soon... the upside is day 6AF for me.
                              DG- I was wondering how your dad is doing? As for public drunkeness at work related events.... I shudder to think....
                              Mame- totally get about the seasonal thing. It is our 'February' for you guys right now I think- just about the time winter starts to get REALLY boring... bring on spring! (and Fall is my favorite time of year so we will both be happy)
                              So thankful- sorry about the dentist. Ouchy ouchy
                              Lila- I know what you mean. Sometimes it just seems like a slog. But your biking is a GREAT thing and I imagine your daughter is really enjoying it. New hair is always fun. (Although I remember a VERY unfortunate incident I had with one of those caps that you pull the hair through..... oh lord)
                              Kaddy- WOW!!!
                              Louise- did you do something for your anniversary at all?
                              Eksil- thinking good thoughts for you and your wife...take care
                              Greenie- BGP. Thank goodness you invented em.
                              MWo2- i love your tag line
                              I hope I didnt miss anyone. You all do add so much to my day.
                              Thank you
                              -Sheep

Comment

Working...
                              X