Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday 11 August

Good morning all,

Start of another week and for once not really looking forward to work.

Had a great weekend when I wasn't tempted once by Al which I think is a first for me.

Found the blog about the monkey in the lift which really tickled my funny bone. It was doubly apt as I was working my way through the book on how to cope with panic attacks. Apparantly alcohol abuse is an inappropraite coping mechanism that is often used by sufferers.

When the dickens would alcohol abuse ever be an appropriate coping technique?????

So now I know. I've spent the last 16 years, pissed as a fart to avoid the panic attacks which were always going to come back the second I stopped using my inappropriate coping technique. What a waste.... but at least I am not doing it anymore.

Well that's enough moaning from me. Hope everyone has a good week and finds themselves all fired up to achieve their goals.

Take care
    Learn from yesterday, live for today and hope for tomorrow - Einstein
    AF 8 June 2012

Monday 11 August

Only 10pm here in ak, but wishing you all a wonderful week
    :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

Monday 11 August

Good morning.

This is my first day clean for a while. I'm going fot thirty days at least.
      My system needs a damn good clean out and a rest.
      Enjoy your day folks!

Comment

Monday 11 August

Good Morning All,

Have a busy day as my eldest comes back from her aunt's today. Then I get to go to her new school orientation with her Tues and Wed. SHe is very excited. So I've got a busy day today - need to get all those things done I just haven't bothered to do.

Loppy, AL didn't bother you all weekend!!! That is wonderful. Such a relief, isn't it? I love what you said about AL not being a coping mechanism. Takes us a long time to learn that one.

Popeye, Gia, and O2 - welcome. I have been sober for a bit over 6 months - 30 days at a time. I always had a tough time with the "forever" thing, so I just committed to 30 days at a time. This thread helped me get sober. I wish you all the best.
        Beck

Sometimes you get there in spite of your route, losing track of your life and what it's about, the road seems to know when to straighten right out...Mary Chapin Carpenter

Comment

Monday 11 August

Loppy, thanks for getting us started. I'm so happy for your that AL was not in your thoughts at all this weekend. THAT is a big accomplishment!! I know it's really serious, but I had to laugh at the way you described
          When the dickens would alcohol abuse ever be an appropriate coping technique?????
          Really.... Makes me wonder how many times in text books or whatever over the years, I've read something that is truly that silly but didn't notice the silliness of it. In any case, I'm VERY glad you are doing so well even though it still means going back to address the panic issues. PROGRESS!!

Beck, I bet you will be glad to see your daughter! (although I hope you enjoyed having a break too)

Welcome Gia, O2M, Popeye and AKgirl. Like Beck I've been tackling this thing 30 days at a time too, and am at Day 82 now. It's not always easy, but to me VERY worth it.

My morning leads group meeting was cancelled but I will resist any temptation to lollygag around this morning. I need to get to Curves then get the errands done then go visit Dad. After a little more coffee!!

Happy AF Monday to all yet to come...

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Monday 11 August

Hi Everyone:

The g-kids have gone home & the coast is clear here. I'm waiting to go down to parents next week. My next big hurtle. I'm so glad to be back at MWO. While I didn't use AL as a crutch, I've recommitted to abs as of yesterday 8/10/08. I've had a few drinks here & there, but I know the signs. I'll be back in the old ditch in no time if I let myself.

Sometimes it's good for me to take all romanticism out of drinking & remember some of the insane things I used to do:
            -put vodka in my wine to spike it.
            -pour extra glugs while people were out of the room.
            -etc.

I don't have to live like that anymore.

Mary
            Wisdom, Courage, Strength
            October 3, 2012

Comment

Monday 11 August

Morning all
              Great to be back in the states, our tour of Rome, Florence and Venice was just wonderful, and the second week visiting hubby's small hometown was like stepping back in time......To bad I have to go to work today..I would really love to just veg and get caught up with everyone here (not to mention the laundry!!)......I did stay AF and am so looking forward to getting back into a routine...
              Welcome to all the new faces here on the Abs thread, and hope everyone has a great day.
              sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

Monday 11 August

Good Morning Abbers!

Loppy thanks for starting the thread and I emapthize with using good old "liquid courage" as a coping mechanism! Tough to let go of that one but it is worth the effort for sure.

I want to say hi to all the new faces, AKG, Pops, O2m, Gia and any one else that will share in our effort to go another day AF!

After fighting this battle for 6 months now, I am begging to better appreciate the ways that alcohol affects my body and mind set. when I used to drink, it was a real Jeckly and Hyde moment for me and seeing that aspect of how much AL did affect me is a huge motivator to stay completely away from it.

I hope everyone has a great AF day to day!
                Is Addiction Really a Disease?
                Watch this and find out....
                http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Comment

Monday 11 August

Home sweet Home!! Its good to be back on the Daily Abs Thread and to see familiar faces!! Charlee, welcome back, you've been missed on the Boards! So pleased you had a great time and managed to stay AF, well done! We're off to Rome in October for the first time so look forward to hearing any tips!

Mary, we are strong you know. We have done it before, we WILL do it again. My switch is down, I bet yours is too?

Have a great AF day friends.

Janicexxx
                  AF since 9 May 2012
                  Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Monday 11 August

Happy hangover-free Monday AB-world!

wow, great to see some friendly faces again...sorry but I'm on the road again for work so I have to dash off.

be well friends!
                    nosce te ipsum
                    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Monday 11 August

Thank you!

Wow,

It's great to be back! THIS is the thread I needed to be able to sit up and say 'I fit right in!' A big hello to old faces and new :hallo:. I've always likened becoming AF to a journey - not a straight line from A to B but one with all the pot holes, the roundabouts, the u-turns, the break downs, the tolls, the bridges, even the dead ends. Well I've certainly done them all on my 'journey' - was AF for 3 months, moderated pretty well for about 6 months then the gradual increase in 'oh just one' (two and three...) and regularity (every day!) have put me right back to square one - that's the dead end, so I've done the u-turn and am now back looking for the right road - And it's starting here! So mind if I tag along again??

Congrats to all who are doing so well (great inspiration!) and good luck to all new starters or re-starters - there's strength in numbers!

:l Arial
                      :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
                      Goals:
                      Days 1-7 DONE
                      Days 8-14 DONE
                      Days 15-21 DONE
                      30 days DONE
                      60 days
                      100 days

Comment

Monday 11 August

Janice: My switch is permanently down. I don't want that in my life at this point. I feel more hope than I have in a long time. In the 1.3 years I've been at MWO, I've been through a real journey:
                        -some long AF runs.
                        -some slight slips.
                        -a very few binges.
                        I want to be AF & feel very committed.

Mary
                        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                        October 3, 2012

Comment

Monday 11 August

Welcome Arial. You will fit right in here.

Janice and Mary and Char, good to have you back
                          Beck

Sometimes you get there in spite of your route, losing track of your life and what it's about, the road seems to know when to straighten right out...Mary Chapin Carpenter

Comment

Monday 11 August

Hello absters, old and new!

It is Day 90 AF, for which I am very grateful. Thank you for sharing the journey.

Comment

Working...
                            X