The I love you Mom/Dad, but this is stressing me out! Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several of us are dealing with a variety of issues related to aging parents. It's been said many times that we should start a thread for this subject so we can share information and generally support each other. Well, the time for thread threats is past!! Here it is!!!

I'm am intentionally starting this thread in the Abstinence section as I am personally dealing with the issues sober, and I know several other AFers that are too. While people who may not be AF yet or moderators are welcome to post, please respect the abstinence section by NOT discussing drinking (even moderately) as a possible coping mechanism for this subject. For some of us too much discussion of moderate drinking makes us fantasize that we might be able to do it too...when in fact for me anyway, I know I can't. Ever. Thanks in advance for respecting this request.

I hope each person who is dealing with aging parent issues will introduce yourself and summarize your situation. And maybe we can start asking for specific input.

My Mom & Dad are both 76 years old. Mom seems healthy as a horse - it's been a few years since her last physical but she came through with flying colors. She is very active, and on NO medications for anything. (amazing in this day and age) My Dad was diagnosed with diabetes maybe 5 years ago? and has had several health problems that we've been told are complications of diabetes. He went many, many years with no physical, so is probably suffering extra now for going untreated for a long time. His major issues include blood sugar management (he now injects insulin as needed in addition to oral meds), high blood pressure, poor circulation (he has a stint in a heart valve, and also had another operation a few years ago to shore up a weak artery in his abdominal area). He gets sores on his feet that are difficult to get healed up and require close daily care. He got an infection from a sore previously that resulted in a toe amputation. He doesn't even know exactly how many different meds he is on. Diabetes is not something I ever want.

He has been up and down, in and out of hospitals and doctors offices for several years now with this. He recently got an infection in his system without realizing until he couldn't stand up and was babbling incoherently, which landed him in the hospital on IV antibiotics. When he recovered from that he was still too weak to stand up on his own, and my Mom cannot lift him. So...off to the nursing home for physical therapy. He was coming along fine and was due to be released back home this week - but had a set back last Friday. In therapy, he suddenly got dizzy and weak and a little incoherent again. He fell down. I'm not sure my Mom did everything she should have to engage the doctors - this is all new to me too. The nursing home is NOT like the hospital where they automatically engage the doctors when there is a problem. So I'm still waiting to hear what the updated news it. My Mom is having to learn how to be MUCH more assertive about my Dad's care.

Issues that complicate all this....

Mom and Dad still live in the family home on 3 acres of land out in the country which is a little far off from help, and a LOT to take care of. The house is a split level house, so you cannot get in or out of it without going up and down stairs. Not a great set up for my Dad who is getting weaker and less able to do these things with time - and I don't see that changing. Their living situation is a HUGE concern - but they have no intentions of changing it. My Mom does NOT want to move, and while I know my Dad was thinking about it at one point, I think my Mom pouted him out of that idea.

My Dad is also very private about financial matters - I have no idea what their situation does and frankly, neither does my Mom. This makes it very hard to offer any sort of suggestions with no idea what the budget might be. My Mom has no idea what resources are available even for obvious things like outfitting the bathroom with handles by the toilet and shower, seating in the shower, a bed that raises up and down, and stuff like that. I spend a lot of time worrying about these things when really there is nothing I can do or have even been asked to do. How do you cope with that? I'm a take charge type of person and I'm having a hard time with the "helpless" feelings that I have.

Mom and Dad are of course covered by Medicare and they also have some sort of Medicare supplement. I think it's with Blue Cross Blue Sheild, but that is all I know about it. Does anyone know if this general type of insurance coverage might allow for some sort of in home help? I'm not even sure if that's an option.

Are there any new / thinking out of the box type services out there that we should be looking for? i.e. all I know of to suggest at this point, if Dad gets home and passes out on the floor is to call the ambulence. I keep thinking there must be some middle ground for help, but maybe not.

I just wish they weren't so stubborn and lived in a more manageable (easier!!) situation. But it's their choice and I need to somehow figure out how to relax and just trust that they have already decided to accept the consequences.

One last question....I really am concerned about the seeming large volume of meds that Dad is on. It seems that over the years, a new med or two or five gets added every time there is a problem, and nothing ever gets subtracted. At some point, the cocktail of different stuff has to be problematic. Is there a politically correct way to ask his doctor for a complete review - at minimum with my mother present and maybe me too - without totally pissing off the doctor?

Any practical advice is welcome welcome welcome - either for Dad, or for my mental state where I don't feel like I've found the "fine line" that I should be walking.

And I'll save ranting about my brother, the pope, for later. That stuff is just immaturity times 10 on my part!!

Thanks....and please - I hope others will post about their parent situations too. If nothing else, I know writing about it just helps me collect my thoughts.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

DG...I feel your pain. My dad is 82. He just quit work last year, had to because he has something that no one is certain what to call it.

He has facial paralysis on one side with stabbing/shooting pains that just about knock him to his knees. He was laid off by his employer because I am sure they did not know what to think when his face started falling. I thought that alone would kill him, not being able to work.

But he has been hopeful that he would heal and be able to return to work. I think he has given up on that dream, sadly. He has been on meds that make him lethargic and make him unable to function sometimes. He is getting very depressed. He was hoping to have a face lift and return to a normal life, but those hopes are fading.

I live 2hrs away, and am dealing with a dog with terminal cancer that needs my time as well. It is sad watching her waste away daily, not knowing when her time wil come...and I need to find time to be there for my dad as well.

I know there are many here with similiar situations. I have heard it said before that the children become the adults and the parents become the children. Boy are they ever right on that one.

I don't have any answers for you regarding the questions you posed. Just wanted to let you know I'm here for you, and hope all turns out well for your folks. As they say, getting old is a bitch!

((Hugs)) R2C
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
    :h

Comment

R2C, I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad AND your dog. :l I think watching them lose hope is the hardest part emotionally. My Dad has loved to sing his whole life - he was in the church choir from small childhood until recently, was in the choir in high school, and then sang most of his adult life with barber shoppers - quartets or choruses or both. He recently "officially quit" the barber shoppers. I heard that he sort of stumbled getting on or off the risers. Thankfully a couple of the guys were right there and caught him, but I think his age related problems embarrassed him. I suspect he has cried buckets of tears ending that beloved hobby of his.

I am very sorry to hear that your Dad has lost hope of going back to work and also having surgery on his face if that was something important to him. It feels so helpless to sit by and watch this, and there is really nothing we can do to change it.

I lost a doggy to cancer in 2000 - that is also very difficult to get through. Sending you good, pain free sorts of vibes.......

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi DG and Ready2Change - I'm so sorry about the problems you are having to face with your dads' health. Dads are very special - I know that only too well - there's not an hour goes by when I don't think of him. Sending you both lots of love and big hug.....:l

DG I can't answer your questions re insurance as its so different over here. Over here we have Social Services and last year they provided a "package" of help for mam when she went home after her six week stay in hospital. This included 1-2 carers visiting each morning to help her get dressed, have breakfast and give her the prescribed medication. They would also visit later in the day to see everything was okay and again give her medication. As well as the visits, they installed alarms say for instance mam had a fall and also a special chair to help her get in and out of the bath; as well as a special seat for the loo.

This didn't really work for mam as they were sending in young girls, different people every day who mam didn't know. There was no way she was getting out of bed at 8.30 am in the morning for some young girl in a uniform!! Needless to say, mam had her own way and after 3 weeks told them all where to go!!! Thats when the old cycle started up again.

We didn't have to pay anything - I suppose mam's National Insurance contributions over the years covered that.

But now we are in a similar position and I think over here, to get the best possible person(s) we would have to pay for private help.

I'm going up north early Friday morning. Mam has been in a private nursing home since she came out of hospital at the end of June. It was a temporary set up to see how she settled. Friday we have a review to decide whether her stay will be permaent. Its looking that way. I'm not looking forward to it, I just don't know how mam will take it or my brother.

Anyway enough of my problems - a good thread DG but a sensitive one. Keep in touch - I'll be back Monday evening.

love and best wishes to you and your families

Janicexxx
        AF since 9 May 2012
        Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

DG & Ready: I too am dealing w/the aged parents issue: Mom, 92 & Dad, 96. My Dad has dementia & is just about out of it. He's taken care of primarily by my mother & us children when we can get down to FL from our homes (far distances). My mother is extremely strong-minded & makes all her own decisions regarding my father. She does have nurses come in at night to get my Dad ready for bed & take him to the bathroom. My parents have plenty of money for more help, but my mother has refused to get more (Medic-Alert, more nurses, etc.).

The bottom line for me is that even though I have a vision for more help for my mother (in terms of caring for my father), I can only suggest & then let go of the outcome. When either my brother or I pressure her, she digs in her heels. I get upset at times, because my mother is very stressed & a series of crises have occurred, but I must remember that THIS IS HER LIFE (& MY FATHER'S). When she wants help, she'll ask for it.

I'm going down to FL next week to do a bunch of chores & take my mother to the dentist, etc. I'm going to try to rise above the tension my mother feels in the monumental task of taking care of my dad. I keep reminding myself that she is making choices for herself & now for my dad. If she wanted my opinion or help, she'd ask for it.

I use some of my Alanon program slogans, & they help me:
          -Live & Let Live
          -Let Go & Let God (Universal Spirit)

In the past, I've taken the edge off these visits w/vodka (not even wine will do). I won't be doing that this time, because I'm bound & determined to get through this sober. I want to live my life & let my parents live theirs. They've had a long & happy life. I've tried to be the best daughter I possibly could. I feel they should both be in assisted living (which they can well afford), but my mother is not going to do that until she is ready.

I hope this helps.

Mary

PS: Hi Janice...I know you're grappling w/this too.
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Thanks Mary; your post - as usual - hit a nerve; spot on Mary. I 'liked' the slogans.

Janicexxx
            AF since 9 May 2012
            Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Hi everyone, terribly difficult situations each of us is in... as well as our parents... My mother is 88, has always been extremely difficult to get along with, and a drinker. My father committed suicide 12 years ago (much heavier drinker than my mother). I have no siblings. Mother has macular degeneration, has survived three primary cancers, and has just been diagnosed with dementia (mild, very likely Alzheimer's). After a horrible 5 weeks with my mother in hospital, and then a nursing home, I found that there is a profession called Professional Geriatric Care Managers, and that helped me immensely. If you (or your parents) can afford to hire such a person, it is amazingly helpful. These people (usually nurses, sometimes social workers, but I would much prefer a nurse because of all the medical issues) can coordinate ALL of the needs of the elderly person, help navigate the whole system, get in-home care, get placement in the proper facilities if they can't stay home, monitor medication... etc.

Now that I have my mother home (her house, not mine, just a few blocks away from me), with in-home care and this care manager person, things are better... but my mother (there is no situation so bad she cannot make it worse) is beginning to raise hell, ranting and raving at the caregivers... accusing them of stuff they did not do... my fear is that she will be SO awful that I will lose the care manager person, in which case I would quickly become suicidal...

I am 56 and it seems ALL my buddies are also women who are dealing with elderly parent issues, and every single person says: This is the hardest thing I have ever done. It certainly contributed to my drinking over the last several years, while my mother has been a toxic and nearby presence in my life... much more so after she went into the hospital. I am so glad I am now dealing with it WITHOUT the alcohol...

DG, thanks for starting this thread.

wip

Comment

Janice, I have thought of you often as we have gone through the issues with Dad's care over the last several weeks - I can't imagine how devastating it was to go through losing your Dad. I will take all the stress I can imagine before I would want to imagine him gone. Although that is what will eventually happen and it's hard to accept of course - nobody knows that better than you do. I hope your meeting goes OK on Friday WRT your Mom's circumstances. I recall you mentioning that your brother might have a different opinion than you about what is best....that is not easy either. Hope you will post the outcome when you return, and I hope things go as smoothly as possible.

Mary, boy did your post hit home. When you speak of Live & Let Live...that is exactly what I need to get better at, and am really struggling with. These are my Mom & Dad's choices. They are not expecting me to get in the middle of it....I just have a hard time NOT getting in the middle of it. It's their life. I need to learn not to worry about the situation they have chosen - just let them be with it. That's such a scary proposition in some ways. I hope you will keep sharing your experience with this as I know it will help me figure out how to get down this path in one piece. I hope there is something I can offer you in return. Trying to deal with the emotions of this AND drinking - OMG that would be a disaster for me. I already told by brother off when I shouldn't have - I was sober as a judge and not even tired when I was talking to him. I can't even imagine what I might have said with help from AL.

wip, The situation with your Mom sounds incredibly stressful. I too hope she doesn't run off the care givers putting too much back in your lap. Thank you for the name of that organization. I was able to google and get the National Association of Geriatric Care Givers, but unfortunately nobody comes up in the "finder" for their area. However I'm VERY sure there must be care givers in Mom & Dad's area offering similar services. It looks like there might be some valuable information on that site for Mom - questions to ask and that sort of thing. I need to just turn her loose with it and be supportive while not crossing the line to take it on myself, when I do not have the decision making authorization!

It's funny - I remember some things from the elder years of all 4 of my grandparents. The surviving ones (i.e. after spouse passes) all structured very independent living situations and made a point of communicating to family (even grand-adults like me!) that they were doing what they were doing specifically so nobody had to worry or deal with their issues. My Dad's dad sold the house when he started having health problems, and moved to a nice assisted care facility. Basically it was a regular full featured apartment, with the addition of shower and toilet aids, and an emergency call system. The place had dining services and physical therapy / exercise facilities and shuttle service. Grandpa went all over the place seeing and doing things. LOL he saved up his dining room vouchers so he could invite us grand adults to lunch occassionally - that was really special. My Mom's Mom did something quite similar although the facility was not as fancy.

But...bottom line is that nobody had to worry about repair work needed on an older house, parents alone out in the country, them getting snowed in and some emergency happening, taking care of livestock and a daunting amount of yard work, etc. etc.

Now that I've vented AGAIN, maybe I can start letting this go and STOPPING my worry which is driving me and probably them crazy.

Thanks for participating in this thread!!! I feel good just having a place to write this stuff down where I feel like we can share rather than drag down other threads with this much detail if that makes any sense. (although everyone here is wonderful about that sort of thing!!)

Speaking of....I need to call Mom for an update....

wip I really feel for you as your Mom sounds like a pistol under the best of circumstances......

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Special hello to R2C, Janice, Mary, WIP, and all other MWOers who are dealing with aging parent issues.

We got good news yesterday - if no other problems arise Dad will get to go home next Tuesday. So our fingers are crossed that he does not have another "crash" like last Friday. Mary, I was imagining you whispering in my ear to BE QUIET! as my Mom told me she still hadn't "had a chance" to talk to the doctor about 1) WHY Dad might have crashed last Friday (the doctor is not in the loop at this point!?!) and 2) request a review of his meds. She knows she needs to take care of both of those things and Dad knows that needs to be done too. He may be weak, but he's still of sound mind - so I need to stay out of it verbally, and also emotionally (i.e. getting stressed out!).

While Dad is very tight with his money as most children of the Great Depression era are, he has always gotten his hair cuts from one of the top guys in town. He always took pride in how he looked from a hair cut, shave, that sort of stand point. (no fancy clothes though) LOL - he signed up to get a hair cut from the person who comes round the nursing home a couple times a week which means he's thinking about looking good - positive. I can't wait to hear him complaining about the hair cut. If he does, I will know he is truly feeling better. :H

Hoping for calm waters for all of you too today.

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

DG, that's great news, and you handled the "mother situation" really well. Good for you. I totally understand how you feel about the haircut! When my mother was in the hospital, and it was looking very grim (she had been pretty much psychotic, and not walking, for a week), one day she sat up in a chair, and put on her lipstick! That was a wonderful sight...

Hoping it goes as well as possible with your folks in this next stage...

wip

Comment

Hi DG, Janice, Mary and WIP....it's an odd comfort to know your not alone on the aging and ill parent front.

DG...great news about your Dad..I hope he contiues to improve and is able to go home. He will do so much better in his own enviornment. DG, I have to say that I just had to step in and stick my nose in my dad's medical issues. Twice now I have traveled quite a distance to go to doctors appts with him and my stepmom, simply because they are so overwhelmed with all the information they have a difficult time keeping it straight. The last time I went I had to interrupt/question the information my dad was giving the doctor, because it was completely different from the things we had been discussing in the previous weeks. He had the doctor believing he was improving and all was well, when that clearly was not the case. We saw two doctors that day actually, and the process was the same with both. I think on one hand my dad wants to believe he is better, but clearly he is not and they need to know that. I know my dad was not happy with me at the time, but by the next day, he was calling me and telling me how grateful he was that I was looking after him and taking the time to get involved.

I'm not sure if that helps at all, but I just figure, if I sit back at this point, there might not be another time for me to get involved. And I have no regrets, it was OK that he was not too happy with me that day, for in the long run, I know I did him a service.

I also wanted to add on a positive note, how please I am with the "system". This isn't the first illness Dad has had, he has had several, including Hairy Cell Leukemia for which he was in the hospital in ICU for 30 days being treated with interferon (sp?) and believe me that aint cheap. He NEVER pays for anything, other than some meds. He does have supplemental insurance, but even still, I am impressed with our medical system here for the elderly. It clearly has worked for my dad. Hope the same is true for the rest of you.

Thanks again DG for starting this thread, it really does feel better to get this out, especially when you have a dysfunctional family such as mine, and I can't hardly discuss this with any of them.

Bless you all with your lovely parents, were pretty darn good kids I think. Have a wonderful day.

R2C
                      Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
                      :h

Comment

Gosh, I really feel for all of you guys. It's so hard to watch our parents age and lose their dignity. The role reversal is a hard one also.
                        My parents would have both been 80 this year. They were married a VERY log time, and pretty much got sick (cancer) at the same time. Dad had prostate cancer that he managed to survive for almost 20 years until it went into his bones, and my mom had some kind of "undetermined" cancer cells that ended up in her lungs (she also had COPD from smoking) and then went to her bran. Talk about a couple of strong people! I am still so proud of my mom--she had to feel like crap, but she never gave up until the end. (Farmers!)
                        Anyway, they took care of each other with the help of my brother and wonderful SIL who lived near by, until my mom passed away. Then all of us kids (3) took turns staying with dad on the farm, cooking for him, and keeping him company. He as so sad, he was so sure he would go before my mom. OK. DG to the maybe useful information:

He had a "LIfe Alert" so we could leave him alone for short periods, if he fell, he could use that.
                        My brothers built ramps so my mom mostly could have access to the house in a wheelchair.

We basically did EVERYthing we could so they could stay in their home. It was hard at times, but we also knew it wouldn't be for long. When my dad got worse, he was in the hospital for 3 weeks, then he had to go to a nursing home. He was there 5 days before he fell out of bed and broke his hip. I wish he never had to go there--of course the same thing could have happened anywhere.

My parents were fortunate they never lost their faculties--it was their biggest fear---I feel for all of you going through that!

Hang in there, pray about it, and be patient even when it's hard!:h
                        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Doggygirl

You talked about so many meds. Our Dr. had a habit of not really paying attention to what he has already given us with something new. Pharmacist should give you a warning if there is a problem But....Go to ( sorry I cant figure out how to do a link)

drugstore.com Online Pharmacy - Prescription Drugs, Health and Beauty, plus more click the pharmacy tab on the top and on the left it will say
                          Drug Interaction Checker

Enter information and it will flag possible problems. I used this for myself and was actually quite shocked. Get a list of your dads meds and try it .

Julie
                          AF Since December 2006

Comment

Dang it made the link for me..how cool!!!!!!!!:wow:
                            AF Since December 2006

Comment

Very good point, Jules, old people typically have several docs and maybe one (sometimes forgetful) primary care provider... making sure all the meds are OK is one of the GREAT things that the geriatric care manager is doing for us (and another reason I wanted ours to be a nurse, and not a social worker).

wip

Comment

Working...
                              X