Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOOZE BUSTERS-Week of 8/18 30 Day (A)bsolutely (F)abulous (H)angover (F)ree Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BOOZE BUSTERS-Week of 8/18 30 Day (A)bsolutely (F)abulous (H)angover (F)ree Challenge

CONGRATS DG!!!

I'm glad I happened to log on today. I agree with everyone, your energy is so infectious. WAY TO GO on 90!!

And I also agree that this 3-month mark is just the beginning. Of something. Not sure what. I feel the same way.

Well, I'll take your advice and do a quick post that's all me-me-me. I'll do a longer proper one eventually in the parents thread. Lots going on. I'm visiting my Dad who has motoneurone disease (nasty, progressive, incurable, deadly).

I've been mulling over my own attitude and prospective actions all summer. Already thought in June that I should spend more time with him, but thought that would require taking a year's unpaid leave of absence from my job. Have subsequently found another way. I've asked our office for an initial 3 months on a reduced contract. Then I'll re-evaluate in December. Though I do want to be with my Dad, I've been terrified at the thought of moving to another country on no income. This arrangement reduces the panic. And last week I felt relieved to have finally made a decision. Was trying to tell you guys all about it but then lost my post.

Fast forward to my arrival on Friday. The doctor comes by tomorrow so we don't have an official diagnosis yet. But basically he had just come down with a cold or flu or bronchitis. Given his problems, that could kill him. He spent an hour Saturday morning sounding like he's going to drown in mucus. He's got care workers coming in multiple times a day, but I've still been staying with him about 18 hours a day, partly because it's very bureaucratic about who does what. The only times when it's safe to leave him is in the afternoons b/w meals with other people around. If this doesn't let up, he may need to go into hospital to ride it out. I'm conscious of my own limits. I can't do this much forever and certainly not for the entire fall. I was prepared to start building the jigsaw puzzle that will be my life for the next 4 months. I wasn't quite prepared to be parachuted into a hot zone with the emergency services number implanted in my brain.

I'm SOOOO glad to be AF!!! I can't begin to stress that enough. Day 98. In other words, 98 days of practice in taking better care of myself. Healthy foods, daily walks, seeking out supportive people, venting on here. All that practice being put to good use, every day, in the hot zone. WIP, I've added the meditation - thanks for your thread!

Gotta run. Take care everybody, it may be a while before I'm caught up with all your news.

Comment

Oh, Pamina, I can sort of imagine what you are going through, because of my own recent (and ongoing) "sick elderly mother stuff." It is just all-consuming, it takes away any fond ideas we may have had about what is "my life," and WHERE THE HELL DID MY LIFE GO? becomes the question. If we even have time for that, which it sounds like you really do not. I'm glad your work has provided a sort of compromise option for you. And I'm glad you have a meditation practice. That can be really helpful.

best wishes,

wip

Comment

DG ROCKS

Congratulations DG! (tried to put this in big letters and pretty colors but I need lessons!)

You are such an inspiration daily to so many on this site. You have had a big influence on me and I really appreciate all you do for this site.

Way to go! :yay::yougo::crazymonkey::crazymonkey::goodtime:

Comment

louise, WIP, OMW, Greenie, Wally and Pamina, thank you so much for your help celebrating this day!! I'm going to celebrate with some tomato canning!! How's that for an AF party?

To anyone who is still struggling and reading this, please stick your nose to the grindstone, and fight for your life to stay AF. It DOES get easier. I used to drink (a lot) EVERY DAY of my life. And more than 1/2 the time, the drinking was starting as early as 6 or 7 AM. And the other half it started no later than noon - and usually long before that. If I can get free of this beast, I truly believe that all of us can.

Pamina, I am so sorry about the dire circumstances with your Dad. You are a wonderful daughter to be doing what you are doing - everything possible. I'm glad to hear that there was a milder solution available with your job. I hope the current emergency passes and you can have some peaceful time. HUGE congratulations on 98 days sober. I bet you really do treasure a clear head and healthier lifestyle right about now. Dealing with your Dad has got to be draining - grab all the healthy stuff you can to recharge your batteries.

Have a great rest of the Booze Bustin' Day!!

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

DG,

90 Days AF: congratulations. You have accomplished this through much hard work and we all applaud you. Wonderful!

July

Comment

Doggy,
              I have been waiting for this day to come for you! You sound wonderful...and SO sober....90 days!!!!!!
              Congratulations and hope to you for many more to come. I am on day 15 and feelin' pretty darn good. I hope you have something special planned for yourself on this special day? You are truly an inspiration to us newbies! Thanks for all your support...you have been a big help to me, personally. kriger
              "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Trying again...

How many "day 1's" can there be? I'm starting all over again...as of today. I've been going for a week or so AF -- when I'm at home with my fiancee. She doesn't let me drink at all and I owe her so much for her patience. She also went to a couple of AA meetings with me; which, by the way, I intend on getting back in to. I need to stop this insane 'back-and-forth.' It's really beginning to impact my work as well...in ways that are quite frightening. When I'm not at home, it's the same 'ole routine.

So, I'm in. I will be checking in daily and am looking forward to the great support you all provide.
                Working on it... AF as of...[sigh]. Today...today is all that matters.

Comment

Hello Booze Busters!!

Awe July - thank you so much for your "fly by" message for me!! You have no idea how much you have inspired me. I think of your example often especially when walking the rutty parts of this ol' path. Keep leading the way my friend - I will be following.

kriger, you are just a treasure here. I love your upbeat posts. You have really jumped in with a great attitude and high energy and I'M PROUD OF YOU for your 15 AF Days!! You are half way to 30, and well on your way to whatever goals you have for yourself down the road. Well, I did "something" today...not so sure about "special" LOL!!! I canned 12 quarts of tomatos. I will say this - I didn't can any last year and ran out of the previous stock mid winter. I was not too happy about that!! So if I don't sound like it was "special" today.......believe me, it will be "special" in the winter time when I am making Clean The Refrigerator Soup and other delightful dishes using my home canned 'maters.

Resolute, I'm glad you are here. I believe you DO want to stop the madness otherwise you wouldn't be here. A couple observations and maybe some food for thought. To you, what does "Trying" mean? (I'm not trying to be a smart ass!!) Is there anything you are changing up in your routine to get a differnt outcome with respect to AL? What parts of the My Way Out program are you using? What strategies do you have in place, especially when you are away from home, to NOT drink?

If you need any help as you work through your battle plan, please come here and ask. There are successful Booze Busters who can at least give you ideas about what worked for them. Personally, I take the supplements as recommended in the MWO program. I don't do the hypnosis CD's as religiously as I once did, but for the first 30 days and even beyond that, I used those CD's almost daily. I also follow the recommended diet plan avoiding sugar and things that turn to sugar right away in our systems - bread, potatoes, etc. EXERCISE is something I did NOT do regularly in my previous failed attempts at sobriety. It's a 6 day a week thing for me now, and it is really making a difference.

I hope you will really sit down with a pen and notepad and work on some goals and strategies. Another exercise I found useful way back in the very beginning - and I'm updating it this week - is writing lists of the following:

Benefits of Drinking

Problems with Drinking

Benefits of NOT Drinking

Problems with NOT Drinking.

Be honest. The only benefits / problems that matter in this exercise are the ones that YOU perceive. Nobody else's opinion about it matters. So yes...there ARE things that will probably go in each of the four categories if you are honest. This is an exercise worth re-visiting from time to time because you will think of additional things, and as you achieve sobriety your ideas about some things will change.

I'm not sure if any of this stuff will be helpful for you, but I hope somewhere in here is at least the seed of an idea to help you get a PLAN in place - not just a "hope" as WIP would say!!! (read some of WIP's posts - they are awesome. Also read some of Caysea's posts about making a total lifestyle change. Read what the long term abbers like AAthlete and July and all the others have to say. Go find the 100 day (200, 300, 400) posts by XTexan. These people all speak the truth about getting sober.

OK - off soapbox!! I wish all of you the very best!! Have a great rest of the day!!

DG
                  3X:award:
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Happy Wednesday (or Thursday Mame!) BOOZE BUSTERS!!!

I hope you are all revving up your engines for a great AF day.

I had an interesting experience yesterday which I'd like to share. I might have mentioned along the way that I bought a 1/2 bushel of tomatoes and canned them yesterday afternoon. Some drinking thoughts caught me off guard when I started thinking "geez this is taking longer than I remember!" (it's been a few years). Then I put two and two together and recalled that I was always in some state of drunk (of course) when doing this in previous years. Well, no wonder the experience felt different.

I realized that I need to STAY on my guard each and every day, even though I am reaching a point where thankfully, booze is not on my mind 24X7. I need to be aware that every time I do something for the first time sober, I will probably have some drinking thoughts and I need to have a good plan.

Yesterday was pretty safe - even though I was not prepared for the thoughts - because I was at home where there is no alcohol that I would consider drinking. However there will be situations like this where I am not at home, and where alcohol of preference for me IS available, I'm sure. I realize I am still in need of a PLAN - thought out in advance - for every sober day.

I am happy to be here on Day 91 AFHF!! Have a great Booze Bustin' Day everyone.

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi All
                      DG Congrat [a day late sorry ] on your 90 day AF.Not only have you succeeded in winning the never ending fight against al but you have helped so many people along the way.I look at your lifestyle change and it is an inspiration to all. It is what is required to win this fight.Not just stooping drinking but then going on to live a sober life. Again congrats and enjoy the new you.
                      By the way thanks for my visual present.Next time check with the guys on this site not the ladies in regards to the cheerleaders. Kidding
                      Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                      Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                      AF 5-16-08

Comment

DG, so happy that in the past you did not hurt yourself canning or give yourself boltulism! I can't imagine drinking and canning (but then I haven't canned anything since I was a kid helping mom.) Anyway, interesting how such small frustrations can lead to thoughts of drinking.
                        Resolute, you can have as many day 1's as you need, just keep trying. There are some very successful people on this site who in the beginning were getting on daily and saying how hard it was for them.
                        Hi everyone! Hope everyone is doing ok.
                        Pamina, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. A big hug to you.

Comment

Caysea - LOL givin' you a big ol' and I'll try to find you some guy approved cheerleaders for your next milestone, OK??

Hello Louise!! My canning expertise, which really cannot possibly be classified as expertise, extends ONLY to tomatos. It's hard to mess them up due to the acidity in tomatos. I think I will need at least a couple of sober years under my belt before I graduate to something like...let's see here....green beans or anything.

DG
                          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi all (welcome Resolute!)

Yup, doing things for the first time sober can be a big challenge. (I still remember my first sober Friday night! That was huge!) First sober holiday was a biggie for me and I've seen other people posting that too. Also, for me, the first time returning from holiday was almost more difficult than the holiday itself. I always used to pick up booze on the way home whatever time it was (I've often bought a few bottles coming back through Heathrow duty free at 6am while trying to not look like a big ole drunk), and then started drinking as soon as I got back home while unpacking and checking messages, opening the post etc. It was part of the ritual of returning for me.

I think if it's something we don't do very often, such as holidays or canning tomatoes or whatever, it's bound to remind us of drinking days the first time or first few times, but then, hopefully, doing it sober becomes the norm.
                            sigpic
                            AF since December 22nd 2008
                            Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

BELATED CONGRATS FROM ME....
                              LIKE I SAID IN MY PM WAS KEEPING A CLOSE EYE ON YOUR PROGRESS...THEN WHAMMY,...I HAD MISSED IT.
                              90 DAYS. AWESOME.X
                              Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Amelia, thank you so much for you post and your PM!! This one means a lot to me.

Marshy, I absolutely CRINGE when I think of the way I drank my way through absolutely everything. The morning drinking being the most cringeworthy, and MAN I did a lot of that. I can relate to you "stocking up" in the morning hours on your way home (while trying hard NOT to look like you were ready to crack open the bottle before you got out of the store) then drinking through those "just got home" chores. There is a store call Sam's Club here in the US. It's a big BIG warhouse / discount type place. The prices are good but you can only buy thing in large quantities. Wow. THAT was convenient. The liquor section sold huge bottles of Smirnoff for the cheapest price in town.

You have to be a member of Sam's to shop there, and if you have a business you can be a business member. Business members get to shop from 7AM until the official opening at 9 or 10AM for all members. I can't tell you the number of times I was there at 7AM to buy Vodka. Then I would go buy some other stuff so it didn't look like I went there at 7AM because I needed a fix.

GEEZ I'm glad I'm not doing that crapola any more. Sobriety ROCKS.

DG
                                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                                X