Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOOZE BUSTERS Week of 8/25 (A)bsolutely (F)abulous (H)angover (F)ree 30 Day Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BOOZE BUSTERS Week of 8/25 (A)bsolutely (F)abulous (H)angover (F)ree 30 Day Challenge

Happy Monday all you Booze Busters out there!

(and Happy Tuesday to our New Zealand Booze Busters and anyone else in the way out time zones!)

On-going Booze Busters, go to the next post! For anyone new, here's what us Booze Busters are all about.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):

Q: What the sam hill is a Booze Buster?
    A: Anyone who has a serious goal of staying Hangover Free (HF) (=Alcohol Free (AF)) for 30 days in a row, no matter what.

Q: Do I have to join at the start of the month?
    A: NO!! Your "Day 1" can be at any time. And if you are already into your first month or your hundredth month AF, you can join at any time. All who desire to be AF for at least 30more CONSECUTIVE days are welcome.

Q: Why are you being such a hard a$$ about 30 consecutive days AF?
    A: Because that's how tough I have to be on myself to succeed, and this challenge is meant to be "tough love" when it comes to the goal.

Q: What if I fall off the wagon - do I get kicked out?
    A: NO!! We do hope you will let us help you dust off the seat of your pants, and drag you right back onto the Booze Busters wagon. You will get your butt kicked, but you won't get kicked out. Oh - and we have a Fugly Green Suit you have to wear for a day during your butt kickin'. That polyester green suit with high water pants is worse than the butt kickin'. Give back your stars and bling and start over at Day 1 (for purposes of this challenge).

Q: What if I am tempted to drink - really really badly tempted?
    A: Come here for a kick in the seat of the pants! Read inspirational threads from start to finish, and if the desire to drink still exists, scream for help in the "Need Help Now" Section and yell for someone to join you in chat. (I wish I had done all that before the falls!!)

Q: What does the Booze Beast look like?
    A: :alf:Is one ugly SOB.

Q: How does the group keep track of what day people are on?
    A: We count on YOU to shout out your stats loud and proud every day in whatever way suits you. For me, I'm collecting a gold star *
    for every AF day out of due respect for my inner child. At 30 days, collect your :bling. Grab a shiny gold :award: for every consecutive 30 days. SHOUT OUT YOUR OWN MILESTONES so we can help you celebrate!

Speak up if you have other questions!! We are here to prove that WE CAN DO THIS! And that we can have a little fun while we're doing it! Let us know if you have suggestions as to how we can improve the BOOZE BUSTERS 30 Day Perpetual Challenge.

DG
    Day 96 AFHF
    :award: X 3 + ******
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Oh - it's only a week before I start this!!!
    Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Good Day Booze Busters!!

Today is going to be a busy one here with an early start, so I am VERY glad to be Hangover Free with my wits about me. I don't know how Kimba is yet this morning - she slept in her crate in the garage last night and Mr. Doggy is sleeping on a cot next to her so I have not gone out there to wake them up yet. I am just hoping for some good news. I also have to catch up with my Dad - I had intended to visit him this weekend and with the crisis at home did not get there. I need to go in the next day or two for sure. Not the happiest of times at the moment, but drinking would only make it worse so I'm not going there.

If you are reading this and trying to decide if you should drink or not today, I hope you choose not to. There will never be a "perfect time to quit." Getting the first few months of sobriety under your best is not a cake walk. You will NEVER be able to know for sure if the next 100 days in your life will be problem-free, and it probably won't be. Part of getting sober is learning how to deal with life's problems without alcohol. There is no perfect time, and there is no time like the present.

Have a great Booze Bustin' Ass Kickin' Monday everyone!

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Sending good wishes for Kimba and your dad DG.

Comment

Give Kimbo a behind the ear scratch for me!!

onw
          Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Hi all, and thanks for the good wishes!

Hope you're doing better with your Mom, WIP, and good vibes for Kimba's recovery, DG.

Louise, please stay in touch whatever you decide.

My Dad's bloodwork came back Friday morning with the infection value off the chart so I called an ambulance and took him into hospital. They tested him and kept him in the A&E for 7 hours before confirming a diagnosis of feverless pneumonia and transferring him into the ward. I was relieved over the weekend not to have the responsibility for his care any more and also realised how tiring it had all been, even for just that one week. Today there was more bad news. The motoneurone disease is now eating away at the upper body and has apparently weakened the muscles around the lungs to the point where some assisted breathing device will be necessary. He may not be able to return to home care. I feel like I'm running behind the curve, trying to assimilate the last bit of bad news when a new one is thrown in my face. But I'll keep plugging away. I've joined the local MND association and will go talk to them soon. I have to keep reminding myself that I can only do what I can do. The illness itself is out of my hands. I've resorted to more AF cider than normal lately. And baked a blueberry pie last night. Today it's probably comfort foods and a long walk. Also, I miss my cyberlife and need to find a way to get connected from home. And yes, there is no time like the present - that's true for a great many things!

But AL is not on my to-do list. Keep busting, everybody!

Comment

Hi again...

Pamina, I am so sorry that your Dad has taken a turn for the worse. You are a wonderful daughter to be there for him, doing your best every step of the way. You seem to be keeping a good perspective on things (i.e. doing what you can, and realizing there are some things you can't change). I really admire you! I hope you can figure out a way to get internet at "home" so you can stay closer to this support system. :l

OMW and louise, thank you both so much for the good Kimba wishes and also for Dad.

vlad we will look forward to having you with us Bustin' Booze Beast Behind.

I am hanging in there with things. On days like today where there is lots of stress and big "no win" decisions to make, I'm not only grateful to be sober but also grateful that exercise is a firm part of my plan. I was having drinking thoughts already at 6AM, but after a HARD workout, those thoughts have subsided.

Take care everyone and have a good day.

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Oh, Pamina, I am so damn sorry. I do know that feeling, the one in which we are sure that we are supposed to fix things for our elderly parent, and yet we cannot find the way, but we keep trying to figure it out, feeling guilty... god it's hard. Like everyone is saying to me: take care of yourself.... I am really not sure that it helps me to hear that, though it is certainly very well intended. Maybe it helps more just to know that someone is listening and cares about the pain. I am and I do.

DG your second message has me concerned, I am guessing that Kimba perhaps is not doing so well. Or your Dad. So much on your plate and you are handling all of it with tremendous grace and generosity of spirit. Thinking of you.

wip

Comment

Pamina - my thought are with you. It is very easy to get very run down and exhausted when you are caring for someone, so hope you get a chance to have a bit of a physical rest while you can. If you are anything like me, cooking can be very restorative ....... and anyway blueberries have lots of anti-oxidant properties

And DG ...... I feel so sad for you and Mr DG!!! I'll keep sending those thoughts to Kimba ....

It is so hard when our furry friends aren't well. I'm missing my cat a lot ....... keep expecting to see her where she used to sleep and woke up in the middle of last night and in my sleep-induced state reached over to give her a pat only to realise it was a blanket.

Interested in the SMART stuff and am just going to have a look for it on line. Wish there was something like that here - the only game in town is AA, which I tried several years ago and hated it.

Feeling a bit fragile at the moment, but I think it is having some time off after all the things that happened over the last couple of months. Got a migraine on the weekend and think it was my body telling me to stay in bed. I had been planning on exercising every day while I'm off, but I just haven't been feeling well enough and it has been persisting down for 4-5 days.

We are off to the wop-wops/boonies tomorrow morning and I'm REALLY RALLY REALLY looking forward to it! It is a really beautiful place that we are going to and no phone or email contact with the world is always very welcome for a few days. Also looking forward to having some quality time with Uncle Mame - we haven't been doing much of that lately.

Hi to everyone else as well! Particularly any new people and people who might be lurking and thinking about an AF September - come and join us!

HAve a good week all, and see you all when I get back!!
                  Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Quick 'hello...'

Hello all...

Still 'on the wagon...'

Following all the stories here...wishing everyone the best during all their struggles/travails.

Take care...
                    Working on it... AF as of...[sigh]. Today...today is all that matters.

Comment

Have a great trip, Mame!!

And good for you, Res!! Are you using supplements, the hypnosis stuff? What do you think it helping you the most to stick with your plan?

wip

Comment

Good morning Booze Busters!

Mame I hope you and Uncle Mame have a well deserved relaxing time in the wop-wops!! (love that term!) A few days of no phone, e-mail, etc. sounds like heaven. I bet you do miss your kitty a lot. Are you thinking about getting another baby one? I know that everyone grieves differently - some need time. No pet can ever be "replaced" but I always feel like I need to fill the hole that is left behind with a new one to love. Have fun!!

Resolute, it's great to see you!!! Glad you are still on the wagon kickin' Booze Beast Booty. Yes - let us know what's working for you. I know that will help others.

WIP I like your new avatar. How is everything with Mom? It seemed like you might be gearing up for another round. You must be exhausted. I'm thinking of you!!

I have totally neglected my Dad for the last several days and REALLY need to get down there for a visit. Right now Kimba needs attention every couple of hours so I can't really leave if Mr. D has a full day at clients, which of course is the goal of our business. So it might be the weekend before I can get away...we'll just have to see. I was a mess yesterday over Kimba - guess I needed a break down day. Lots of mis-placed and mis-directed emotions. I hope today I can hold it together because falling apart sure doesn't help anything. There is really no change in her condition. I wish I could see inside her skull to know what's going on in there.

Have a great day everyone. Whether it's a terrific day or a difficult one with life in general, always remember that drinking alcohol makes everything in life worse.

ETA: Just realized that today is 1.5 Years since I quit smoking cigarettes. MAN I'm glad to be free of that one!!

DG
                        Day 97 AFHF
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

DG thanks for keeping us posted about Kimba (and about you!!), I'm sure you know that we are pulling for her. Hoping, hoping for a good recovery.

My new avatar is my own sweetheart dog Scarlet, having a total blast out in a field somewhere. She's gotten a bit too old for that kind of full-tilt running now (she has absolutely no understanding of her own limits, and will tear around until she collapses, and that scares me).

As to my mother, she is still furious with me, essentially she seems to simply hate me. But that is really nothing new. Just painful. Now she is in the stage where she is just saying whatever she thinks we (and the hospital staff) need to hear so that she can get out of there. I have zero confidence that anything has changed, but the care manager seems to think it is (or will be) worth another shot to let her try going home again, with (once again!) in-home caregivers. I am thinking that perhaps my next step should be to sell my house AND her house, and buy a duplex, so that I can keep a closer eye on the situation, and have legal authority to prevent Mother from firing the caregivers and barring them from her house (not to mention changing the locks on her doors, which she did just before going into the psych hospital).

But I have 5 weeks AF behind me and that makes a huge difference in how I am responding to things.

Thanks for being here.

wip

Comment

Aw WIP - the situation with your Mom has got to hurt so badly when she treats you like that. Since you are committed to helping her (you are a bigger person than I would probably be!!) your idea about a Duplex might be a good one. More convenient anyway, and probably more control (i.e. the locks). So are classes underway? What days will you be teaching?

Well, I am going to put on my BGP :grannypants: today and think positive about Kimba. She is still gimping terribly, and one of the back legs the toe curls under which is a paralysis thing. But she seems to be motoring on the better leg a bit more ambitiously this morning. She may have been more highly motivated to "motor good" as some food was waiting for her after her potty. But that's OK - it's good to know what she is capable of for now. This thing feels so crazy as it's up and down between hope and despair. But for now I'm going to hope and try to keep in that place today.

And I'm NOT going to drink.

DG
                            Day 97
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi everyone and thank you for the invitation, WorkInProgress !

Wip, as a newcomer I don't know your background, but your post makes me sympathise with you (I have a mom with Alzheimer's refusing to go to a senior home, taken care of home caretakers visiting 5 times each day...) She sometimes doesn't let them in...

I have already understood that I don't have a mother like mothers are, never had.

One of the reasons why I want to be a non-drinker is that I want to be a real mother for my kids.

Take care,

Brighter

Comment

Working...
                              X