Aged Parents - My Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got back from my parents home where I stayed for about a week. It was quite an experience! I went down there w/all kinds of ideas of how I felt they could make changes. After 2 days of sheer angst, I realized that I wouldn't want my kids to so heavy-handed. From that point on, I just did what I could to make things easier: chores, errands, house-cleaning, etc. I had some long heart-to-heart talks w/my mother (my father has dementia) & got a better understanding of her feelings.

I stayed upstairs in an empty apartment & didn't drink! That's an accomplishment in Florida, because they sell booze EVERYWHERE: groceries, drug stores, discount stores, etc. I'm so glad I stayed sober, because I think I would have come back here w/so much regret & frustration.

Thank you MWO for helping me stay sober in situations where I once drank to cope.

Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Mary,

And, being sober, you were able to have a good long heart-to-heart with your mom and see her side of things and what she really needs. Good for you!!

I am glad you are back and I am glad you are doing so well. I missed you while you were gone. :-)

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Mary
      Glad you were able to have some quality time with mom. Sounds like the first few days were somewhat stressful, but you got through it sober. I am glad you got to spend some time with mom and dad. We missed you!!!....Welcome back.
      sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

Welcome back Mary! It sounds like your visit turned out very positive for you and I'm sure your Mom and Dad too. Congratulations on staying sober - I'm sure everything was better that way! (even though sometimes AL calls loudly)

Good to *see* you back. Any mystery book recommendations?

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Mary,

Good for you: remaining AF. It is not easy w/ those potential stressors.

July

Comment

Welcome back Mary!

Glad you had such a positive trip. Love those victories!!!!

ww xox

Comment

Good for you! I know that is NOT easy!!!

wip

Comment

Working...
              X