Relapses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relapses

Waiting and Mary, its threads like this that help me understand how my behavior was affecting my family. Al compels us do stupid and hurtful things, especially to those we love the most. This strengthens my resolve to remain sober.

Waiting, has your husband acknowledged he has a problem? Has he ever looked at this site? There are some wonderful men who post here; their insight may help him understand how his actions affect his family.

Has anyone seen 4Tb?? It’s been a while

omw
    Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Relapses

retteacher;413723 wrote: I have tears in my eyes right now.

The relapses seem to come out of nowhere & completely transcend the coping tools I've written & read about so extensively.

I will keep reading this thread whenever I feel I need to.

Thank you everyone. Today I'm incredibly strong.

Waiting: Don't give up on your alcoholic loved one. I came to MWO 1.5 years ago & even w/the relapses, the progress I've made is nothing short of phenomenal. Instead of drinking a whole bottle of wine 3 - 5 times per week, I've had isolated incidents of doing that. I'm not excusing the relapses. I'm just saying that I don't drink nearly the way I used to, & I know that I'm on the road to being completely AF.

Mary
      Hi mary

I think you are a very strong and brilliant star on this forum. and your honesty is amazing.
      alcohol is a progressive disease. Healing from alcohol is also progressive.

sending positive vibes your way

Trix:goodjob:
      You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Relapses

On My way,
        He started this program a few weeks ago, after trying many others. It seems to be working for a few days and then the excessive drinking comes back for a few days, up and down, up and down. He has not been able to stop completely yet. I know he needs time to find the right balance, I am just hoping I can wait that long. I have been waiting for so many years...
        He does know how the drinking affects his family, he fully acknowledges this when sober. If there was no great sober person in there, I would not be struggling so much about what to do and how long to wait. But, there is a great loving sober person in him. I am just so exhausted and sad.

Comment

Relapses

Mary, thanks so much for your honesty, and for your determination and commitment. That helps me more than you can know.

wip

Comment

Relapses

Waiting--I was married to an alcoholic 25 years ago. I learned a lot about myself at that time. Something that helped me was this book [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Codependent-No-More-Controlling-Yourself/dp/0894864025/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221682306&sr= 8-1]Amazon.com: Codependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself: Melody Beattie: Books[/ame]

Now that I am taking care of my own drinking problem and married to another problem drinker, I'm reading it again.
            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Relapses

LTV25,
              Thank you, I read the same books. Without them and without the support of my friends I would still be crying myself to sleep.

Comment

Relapses

Aggh...[sigh]

Mary...

I don't have near enough time to post an appropriate response. Suffice it to say that what you're going through describes my travails to a 't.'

I used to drink daily as well...

Lately, I've been making what I consider great progress. I've tried Antabuse, however, have found the product from River Pharmacy not up to par. In any case, it comes down to ODAAT. It really does.

I applaud you Mary. When I read your post, I felt a new/renewed sense of making it stick a little longer this time. Not giving in...coming to the site more.

Thank you...
                Working on it... AF as of...[sigh]. Today...today is all that matters.

Comment

Relapses

Again, thank you all so much. I just feel that honesty to all of you here at MWO is absolutely essential to my recovery from this disease. It's the end of my first sober day, & I couldn't feel more grateful that:
                  1. I'm sober.
                  2. I can remember everything that I did & said.
                  3. I have MWO in my life.
                  Let's keep supporting ourselves. I'm going to try very hard to get here & post when I first start the drinking thinking.

Mary
                  Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                  October 3, 2012

Comment

Relapses

proud to have you as a partner in recovery Mary, lets work on some new improved coping skills and keep up the good fight.

xxxxxx
                    nosce te ipsum
                    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Relapses

Mary,

I am supposed to be absent this month...but I just had to respond to you.

I think you are great. The honesty that you always bring to this place is so appreciated. You are right too - if I couldn't be honest here, I wouldn't bother.

So today I'm on Day 17. Yes, I had a 3 day lapse. I'm just going to hit day 30 again and consider the lapse a speed bump in my AF life. You have had your share of speed bumps but you sure have had a lot of sober days as well.

Good luck to you, Mary
                      Beck

Sometimes you get there in spite of your route, losing track of your life and what it's about, the road seems to know when to straighten right out...Mary Chapin Carpenter

Comment

Relapses

sound like a great plan stay strong and think positive and come here everyday if ness..
                        what ever it take to get where you want to be ..good luck
                        :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                        best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Relapses

Mary,

Count me as one of your many friends and fans here. You are struggling with a difficult addiction, but you are struggling against it. You are not giving up and I respect you for that. I have read most of your posts this past year plus and I know how serious this is for you. Keep at it and you will find the AF live you want and deserve.

It is not easy and we know it.

Take care,

July

Comment

Relapses

Mary- recovery is a journey, not a destination.

We did not develop our problem with Al overnight... nor should we expect to fix it overnight.

I think you are great and have made great progress against this beast, and your posts have resonated with me in the past. Thank you for your honesty.

Skoots
                            "I have not failed - I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Relapses

Mary, dont ever beat yourself up. you are amazing with the way you abstain. Ive heard from many places that alcoholics like us will have relapses. and each time you just haev to pick yourself up and try again. its something we suffer with and very common, be happy with how you have succeeded and how well you do!

Comment

Relapses

Again, I'm just awed by the responses to my post. I'm beginning another sober day & feel grateful for it. I know that my goal is not impossible. There are so many of you out there who have done it. That, for me, is the light at the end of the tunnel. One of the members (Janice, I think) said "This is not a contest...it's our lives." That is so true. Thank you, Mary
                                Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                                October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X