Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily - Monday January 5

Hi everyone

First check in from me as i've been out all day at work, and just got the kids to bed. I too was someone who really only scaled up my drinking in my 30's - rarely drank in my 20's (when I was a keen distance runner) even though there was a big drinking culture at university. As I posted last night on the abbercisers thread - I think it was the stopping running /being unable to run that really fueled my drink problem (or alterntavely running stalled it) after my first child was born - followed by my 2nd 15 months later, I was unable to run partly due to childcare problems during daylight hrs and partly due to physical problems from emergency childbirth (eventually needed hysterectomy) and I really became "depressed" and just used to drink in the evening - every evening. Running - and exercise in general would give me a high / a boost in a different but healthy way and I didn't need to drink. I'm now back exercising again and that is helping too. I also think I suffer a bit from SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and get quite down in the dark winter months so am thinking of getting one of those therapy lamps. When I couldn't exercise in early - mid Dec due to bad cold and conjuncitivits, I found going sober much harder - so I do think exercise really goes hand in hand with recovery.

Comment

Just got back from bone density test & mammogram...Was able to answer "non-drinker" to the AL question. Mary
      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
      October 3, 2012

Comment

nice Mary! I like those little questionnaires now for the first time in my life LOL
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Mary,

Congratulations on being able to check off the non drinker box.
          I have a bone density test on the 14th of this month, as I ended up with a bad compression fracture at my L-1 with a 40% loss of bone, and there was no apparent trauma, so my Doctor is worried about Bone density. What exactly does the test entail?
          Wow, I will get to check off non drinker too maybe! LOL

K
          Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

Keeta,

I did a bone density this year. It was no biggie at all.

You lie on a table and they take pictures from underneath you.

Much less irritating than the mammogram where they compress your poor breast down to the size of a flat balloon and say "don't move." :H:H Like we could move an inch with our breasts in a vice.

Mary, so glad you could answer "non-drinker." That is huge. Hugs to you.

Love,
            Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Aloha All, I have got to get back into a"normal" sleeping pattern. I'm staying up untill 1:00 am. I don't like waking up at 9:30 or 10:00 am. On my walk I listen to talk radio (how boring is that?) and the radio therapist today was talking about the benefits of sleep. I have got to get myself back into shape for returning to work next week. Just to jump into the conversation about drinking...I guess I'm pretty typical with the teen-age, college, early marriage, young children drinking stories. How do you live with regrets? You know "If only I...." when we look back on our screw-ups. Oh Well. I certainly don't dwell on them but they are there inside of me. All of the time. Maybe this can be the topic for tuesday since I know everyone is getting a good night's sleep of 9 to 10 hours. :baaah:
              sigpic

Comment

Cindi,
                LOL @ the mammogram and "don't move" intructions.
                Kinda reminds me of the Pap smear, and "Just relax" comment...YEAH right...:H

Glad to know the bone density thing is not too intense...I have been for hoards of CT scans lately and they FREAK me out the claustraphoic feelings and the panic attack is so shitty...LOL (yes I know I have issues LOL)

How long from the test until the time you find out if you are normal, Cindi, do you know?
                Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

Hulagirl, I like to listen to talk radio when I walk, too! No, it is not boring. It's thought provoking!
                  Mary, I know that must've felt great to check 'non-drinker'. I want to get my bloodwork done sometime soon and see if AF improves my cholesterol levels. Of course, I need to wait awhile to do that.
                  Keeta and Cindi, thanks for the chuckle re: mammogram and pap instructions!
                  Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Just reading through the end of the thread here, and have a question....... how long would you think you'd have to be AF in order to check off "non-drinker" on those questionnaires?

That would be a nice goal!

Comment

Working...
                    X