AF Daily - Monday February 23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning to all in AB-Land! And I'm not talkin' about flat tummies here! Happy Sober Monday.

Thanks to all for the nice comments yesterday about my 9 month anniversary. Boy that feels good. I'm looking forward to having a full year under my belt. For our friends who are just getting started or who are struggling to get firmly on the AF path, please keep working at it. Make staying sober each day your #1 priority. It is SO WORTH IT!!!

Mame, those ads sure do sum up that feeling of being disconnected and miserable with a hangover, don't they. Thanks for sharing that - it's such a great visual! Something to lend a more realistic perspective to the ad that "glam up" alcohol.

WIP, I love the description of your house and the colors! And the town sounds awesome. Like stepping back in time or something. I was thinking yesterday about the situation you described with the offer of beer at the bike shop the other day. For whatever reason, I thouht of my brothers - one is a normal drinker and one does not drink at all for religious reasons. I of course don't drink becuase I'm an alcoholic and CANNOT drink. My mind created a vision of all three of us standing outside that bike shop on a gorgeous, sunny, Florida day being offered a beer. 2 of us would for sure say "no thanks" and one would either accept or say "no thanks." All for different reasons. I would be the only one who might have a small concern about feeling a need to explain, or hoping the person offering the beer wouldn't question why I was saying no. But you know what? My religious brother doesn't think about that - I'm sure of it. and my normal drinker brother doesn't think about it either - I'm pretty sure of that. If he accepts a beer, he doesn't think "I hope they don't figure me for a big drinker" as I would have done before I stopped drinking. And on the flip side, if he turned down the beer, he wouldn't give a moments thought to whether anyone made him for a recovering alcoholic becuase he said no.

Maybe I'm the only one, but the scenario you described sure spoke to me about some of the mental gymnastics (unecessary ones!) that I put myself through!

Anyway...I'm off and running for a very busy day. Have a terrific sober Monday everyone!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Ahhh.... she beat me to the punch! Good morning DG! And everyone to come!

It's a beautiful morning here in Florida, and I had a great day yesterday! Got in a bike ride AND a boat ride up the St. Johns River, saw ospreys and gators and manatees! And picked out the plants I am going to put along my back fence... Today is back to work, all kinds of guys coming out today: electrician, painter, fence and deck guy... tomorrow, the bathroom contractor and I will go together to find cabinets and sinks (he appears to be USELESS when he's on his own, unfortunately)...

I don't think it can be said too many times: I am so, so very am glad I am NOT drinking. It's simple. Life is good, now. Before, while I was still drinking... life did not feel good to me, at all. The only thing I really enjoyed was the sensation that came from the first drink of every afternoon/evening... and even while I was "enjoying" it, I hated myself, and knew I was bringing misery upon misery into my life on a daily basis. And I watched my parents do that, all their lives... unable to enjoy life.

I hope everyone here has a good day.

Comment

Good Morning DG, WIP and all to come,

I am sorry for my bad choices the other day. I sit around sometimes feeling so sorry for myself, that I forget that living life fully, grateful NOT to be drinking is where I need to be.

I posted on DG's AA thread about my AA experiences so far. They are positive.

Hope all have a wonderful day today.

I will be sober today, that is for darned sure. Just for today. :-)

Love,
      Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Good morning all, and WIP I agree with you. The last several years of my drinking career were spent trying to control and enjoy it - I wanted it to be fun like it used to be.

"It doesn't matter which side of the fence you get off on sometimes. What matters most is getting off! You cannot make progress without making decisions." --Jim Rohn

Kinda like you as well WIP, I finally reached the point where I decided that chasing that 'fun' was finally outweighed by simply wanting to have a quality life. It's nice to be off that fence and committed to a sober lifestyle, and to be able to have a full day planned but to approach it with such positive and accepting attitude.

Have a great Monday everyone.
        Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Great first posts. I don't have a lot of time today, but I am working my program & will stay sober today. I like the idea of not "chasing fun" any more. WIP, thank you so much for "Emotional Alchemy." It's so practical in terms of how the habit (drinking) can be broken.

I'm also working on accepting life on life's terms. That doesn't mean I can't speak up or make changes. I just have to realize that I can't escape from life or try to control outcomes.

Mary
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Morning abbers!!

If I had been on that corner by the bicycle shop earlier in life, the only reason I would have refused a beer would have been that I was doing Atkins diet to get back to 110 or thereabouts. I got a lot of pressure "aw, come on just one" for that. If you've ever done the diet and ketosis thing, you know what a carb binge is. Funny how alcohol is like that isn't it? Anyway otherwise I would never have refused a beer.

An odd thing happend at the birthday party. I drank sprite and a GF asked if I was drinking. No. Will you ever? I don't know. Deffinately not now though. Well, I want to go (insert wine tasting trip in Europe here) and I'm not taking you if you're not going to drink wine. well that would be a waste, wouldn't it. Gee. What do you make of that? She doesn't know the extent of my problem I guess. Shame to pass up a trip to Europe to keep your sobriety, but so be it.

Have a good one everybody. Off to my unpaid job. It's time to call it the hole again.
            sigpic
            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Just a quick pop in to congratulate DG and WIP!! Both of you have such inspirational journeys!
              I'm proud to call you "friends". Speaking of friends, had a nice visit with a potential acquaintance becoming a friend. I know I need girlfriends again. Have kind of drifted away from some--I think we just have different things going on in our lives--grandkids, busy jobs, kids in stuff, etc....I have already "connected" with some women I've known for years, but not really "Known". We have similar interests and seem a little starved for a friendly ear. Oh, and did I mention they are not drinkers?
              Spent some time around my hubby's other sister and BIL this weekend. I'm still a little uncomfortable sitting around the table with them and their friends drinking water while they sock em up. I find it harder to get involved in the conversations. I hope it's not too obvious. But I try and I'm sure I'm a much better listener!!!

Well, I'm off to start making more of an effort to improve my life and health. Starting with morning devotions/meditation, daily exercise and much better eating habits. Starting Wednesday I'm off the diet pop for at least 40 days!!!

Have a great day and week all!! :h
              The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Wahoo, I made page 1 today.

Happy belated congrats DG. 9 months is fantastic.

Sounds very nice there WIP. I woke up today to snow and -8 C. When will this madness stop!!! (sorry).

Good job Mary. I am glad you are doing well. I am feeling better every day. :goodjob:

That's it for now.

Mo.

Comment

Thanks for the nice wishes and congrats... LV and Greenie, I hear you, about the friends (3-D type)... At this point in my life I feel like I just don't have much in common with people for whom drinking is a huge issue (such as making wine tasting/drinking the whole point of a trip). When I am around them, it reminds me too much of how it was, for me, and that's just not good.

DG, interesting thoughts about how our thoughts can twist us into knots over something as simple as saying "No, thanks" to a beer... you are spot on.

MO... yeah, that weather sounds dreadful. I'm getting where I am just less and less willing to be COLD.

Mary, Cindi, I am so glad to see you both back up on those horses, and riding tall.

ONEY!! Great to see you here! Come around more often!

Comment

Congratulations DG and WIP!! You are both fantabulous! :yougo: inkele: :yougo:

I totally agree, LVT, about reconnecting with female friends. I did that too over xmas break, and it was so worth it.

I'm off to choir practice but wanted to touch base before I go. We're changing internet service providers and we're due to lose the old connection today. It could take over a week to get reconnected with the new provider. HELP!! I have redeveloped the MWO addiction I had last summer, and a week sounds like ages...!!

Happy sober evening (week....) all.

Comment

[QUOTE=MO... yeah, that weather sounds dreadful. I'm getting where I am just less and less willing to be COLD.
                      I already at the point where I like the cold less and less, but too young to retire south just yet. :H

Someday......:happy:

Comment

Happy 'no hangover Monday". It has been 7 days since I have been hungover- and I will never be again.
                        It is amazing how much difference it makes to may waistline when I am not drinking 1 or 2 bottles of wine in a night. I have been trying to lose weight for so long and I was having some success but even in the last week the weight has come off really easy with no booze. That is good incentive not to drink.

Have a great day everyone. Way to go WIP and DG. Mo, I have you beat because it was -9 here today with -17 windchill. Brrrr....

Take care,
                        Narilly
                        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

WIP and DG - cant believe I didn't congratulate you yesterday!! Well done to both of you and think you both for all your strong and positive contributions!!!

mame
                          Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Good morning!

Nothing to say today. That has to be a good thing!

Have a great day everyone!

Comment

Hi Again: I spoke to my sponsor...he wants daily calls & gives me assignments. I love it. I love that I'm not alone w/this whole thing. Greenie: My husb & my daughter (especially) think I'm totally over-reacting to that ER visit. My sponsor wants me to go to AA meetings, & neither of them can understand why. Denial is so strong. Also, I guess I was much more devious than I ever knew. Mary

PS: I'm so glad everyone is doing well.
                              Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                              October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X