AF Daily - Monday February 23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys, I'm posting in here just to clear a few things up with a few people who, in my opinion, were a bit uptight about a few things yesterday, no offence to anybody. The reason I posted in here, I will state once again, is because it is more useful when I'm just starting out not drinking to be around people who aren't drinking. If I post in here it gives me a place to check in and say I haven't been drinking, it's an incentive to keep sober, which is what I want. I also see more advice in here on dealing with the giving up part, which is what I've been working on. Technically, if we must be so technical about it, I am moderating, but so far as I'm concerned for the entirity of last week I was AF, I was having the same problems as you guys, whether you choose to trivialise those problems because I could get some relief on the weekend is up to you. I'm just here, not to have a go, or start an argument, but I just wanted to say that up until yesterday I assumed that this community was for nothing more than helping each other, I had never been made to feel unwelcome and I'd like to thank everybody who's helped me so far, and who continues to help me. I hope someday i can help others and repay what i owe to the great many kind people on this forum. Anyway, I've said what i wanted to say so

Peace out, and good luck all of you on your individual AF journeys. Special thanks to Ocean for the PM, nice to have some support

Peace out.
    The way I change the past is by not repeating it
    -James Hetfield, Metallica

Comment

Everyone: I just wanted to mention that I'm going to take a break from DrinkTracker for a while. The counting thing was driving me a little nuts. I know what my sobriety date is & my goal is abstinence (& that's my final answer).

TG: I think I understand that you're saying you need this thread for when you are on your abs days. The reason we might seem uptight to you is that some of us have been down a very rocky road to sobriety. Any mention of mod drinking is a trigger for some of us. Speaking for myself, almost anything can be a trigger when I'm feeling vulnerable.

Mary
      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
      October 3, 2012

Comment

I don't usually mention it, yesterday I was just feeling pretty proud of myself as usually one drink leads to days and days of forgetting parts of every evening. Regardless, thanks for explaining to me the reasons why i was met with more than the expected level of hostility, and if it's an acceptable compromise I'm happy to not mention it again, and just use this thread for the time whilst I'm adjusting to life without drinking. Does that seem fair to everybody?

Comment

Hi all
          Not much going on here either......WIP and DG, Congrats to both of you on yet another milestone!

Mary, I am so pleased you are taking the necessary steps to help you in this battle. I am sure you must feel the relief being able to share, now this is all out in the open with your family....I wish you continued success..
          sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

No Worries...certainly no hostility... in Modville

ThatGirl,
            If things get too rough, come on over to "Long Term Moderators"
            Many of us go stretches of AF at a time.
            We have challenges or "PACTs" where we invite each other not to drink for several days.
            It sounds like you are a "modder".
            (If not, sorry to bring it up.)
            Come and join the "Mod Squad"!!!
            ~Kid~

Don't worry Abbers, I'm leaving..put down those rocks!:H

ThatGirl;555575 wrote:
            I don't usually mention it, yesterday I was just feeling pretty proud of myself as usually one drink leads to days and days of forgetting parts of every evening. Regardless, thanks for explaining to me the reasons why i was met with more than the expected level of hostility
            , and if it's an acceptable compromise I'm happy to not mention it again, and just use this thread for the time whilst I'm adjusting to life without drinking. Does that seem fair to everybody?
            It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
            ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

ThatGirl;555554 wrote: Hi guys, I'm posting in here just to clear a few things up with a few people who, in my opinion, were a bit uptight about a few things yesterday, no offence to anybody. The reason I posted in here, I will state once again, is because it is more useful when I'm just starting out not drinking to be around people who aren't drinking. If I post in here it gives me a place to check in and say I haven't been drinking, it's an incentive to keep sober, which is what I want. I also see more advice in here on dealing with the giving up part, which is what I've been working on. Technically, if we must be so technical about it, I am moderating, but so far as I'm concerned for the entirity of last week I was AF, I was having the same problems as you guys, whether you choose to trivialise those problems because I could get some relief on the weekend is up to you. I'm just here, not to have a go, or start an argument, but I just wanted to say that up until yesterday I assumed that this community was for nothing more than helping each other, I had never been made to feel unwelcome and I'd like to thank everybody who's helped me so far, and who continues to help me. I hope someday i can help others and repay what i owe to the great many kind people on this forum. Anyway, I've said what i wanted to say so

Peace out, and good luck all of you on your individual AF journeys. Special thanks to Ocean for the PM, nice to have some support

Peace out.
              I think there are a lot of threads for daily AF check ins in different parts of this web site that are more suited to your goals.

This one if for people who are trying to be AF (Monthly Abstinence) for an entire month or more. If this is not your particular goal, you might want to find a thread more appropriate. I don't think anyone was being uptight.

Mo.

Comment

I shouldn't even comment, I usually don't. These things tend to get blown out of proportion. Read again, there was no hostility, just a friendly request. It doesn't need to turn into a mod vs AF battle.
                The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Sorry guys, I'm still kind of new to the site and didn't know where else I could post, I didn't mean any offence, i just liked the advice I got in here so I stuck to this thread, but anyway if it's this much of an issue for everybody I'll be off xD Apologies once again if I came off as a bit of an idiot. Good luck everybody

Comment

Thanks, KidS. I suggested the "Mod Squad" to ThatGirl yesterday. I am sure you were joking about the "rocks," but I want to repeat that I believe everyone here on this thread has great respect for those of you who are engaged in successful moderate drinking.

ThatGirl I am sorry that you perceived "hostility" from the polite requests that several of us made to you. I am sure you will get a lot of help and support from the Mod Squad thread.

Comment

ThatGirl;555636 wrote: Sorry guys, I'm still kind of new to the site and didn't know where else I could post, I didn't mean any offence, i just liked the advice I got in here so I stuck to this thread, but anyway if it's this much of an issue for everybody I'll be off xD Apologies once again if I came off as a bit of an idiot. Good luck everybody
                      Well, I can understand. This is the bestest, root'nest, toot'nest check in around. Also, the best looking members hang out here

Mo.

Comment

ThatGirl;555575 wrote: I don't usually mention it, yesterday I was just feeling pretty proud of myself as usually one drink leads to days and days of forgetting parts of every evening. Regardless, thanks for explaining to me the reasons why i was met with more than the expected level of hostility, and if it's an acceptable compromise I'm happy to not mention it again, and just use this thread for the time whilst I'm adjusting to life without drinking. Does that seem fair to everybody?
                        As far as I'm concerned, post whatever you want so long as it's NOT ABOUT MODERATE DRINKING on the section of the forum titled ABSTINENCE. IMO, you are the one who was disrespectful here. Don't post about moderate drinking goals, and success or failure with that on this particular thread. That's all we're asking.

Kid, nobody has any rocks - I do hope you were joking. For some of us, moderation is impossible, and staying abstinent is difficult, and can be life and death. Speaking for myself, I am too far gone to be able to step back and mod. There is a reason why there are separate sections on the board. Not to separate the people - just to separate the discussions. Why does that seem so difficult to understand?

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I'm one of those folks who can never, ever drink. My husband calls it an allergy I have. Mary
                          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

In my case, I can only say it is a life and death matter.

If I continue to drink, my health is already deteriorating and I know it will get worse, I could easily die from a car accident because once I put the poison in my body, I never know where it will end. Period.

I might "enjoy" a couple of drinks or I might (and more probably) will enjoy way too many, black out and do something dangerous.

Life and death here. I can't mod. I lost that ability years ago.

Cindi
                            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I am with you guys about not being able to moderate. I have tried it after joing MWO 2 years ago and then trying to moderate for 2 years, I am back. I can see (don't know why I didn't before) that I cannot moderate. No way, no how.

I am just going to stay sober. No hangovers are the best.

Narilly
                              Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                              "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Late check-in's are better than no check-ins eh?!

wooooooo, what a good workout, followed by a wonderfully garlic infused dinner.

I'm definitely on the "no-hangovers for ever bus".

Greeneyes, what you said about a European vacation still rings an uncomfortable note for my tortured brain. Dx and I have dreamed of visiting Italy for a couple of weeks and of course I have romanticized the whole wine illusion right along with those dreams. sigh! well, there's no doubt that my health is way more important than a few selfish thoughts. This is a tough one for me though and it may be part of the reason I've been procrastinating on planning our holiday. hmmmmmm. I'm pretty sure I'm strong enough to do Europe sober now, but even the tiniest bit of doubt regarding my AF life causes me anxiety.

must be strong must be strong must be strong must be strong must be strong

repeat as necessary.

be well my friends
                                nosce te ipsum
                                (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                                X