Conditioned By The Media??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I caught the tail-end of Gray's Anatomy last week (ABC I think), and although I don't know the whole story, it is a show about a hospital and in this episode one of the doctors was unable to save the life of a friend. At the end of the show, the doctor was shown at home throwing back whiskey to drown the pain that he was feeling.

I've been thinking about this today, and it made me realize how pervasive this thinking is in our society. How ironic it is that it seems to be socially acceptable to go out and get drunk to drown your temporary pain, but if you do it too much you are then looked down upon by that same society.

Maybe it is that normal people (i.e. not alcoholics) are able to move past that point and start working towards solving whatever issue they were temporarily drowning out, whereas I reached a point in my life where getting drunk WAS my solution. Anyway, food for thought...
    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

What get's my back up over here in the UK AA is how much revenue the government gets from taxes off alcohol through allowing bars to stay open longer hours who offer ridiculous promotions on drinks. As a teenager it's hard to turn down the offer of 2 for the price of one or ?20 entrance and drink as much as you like for free all night and other silly promotions. Then they complain we are the worse nation of binge drinkers on the frickin planet!! THEN they think putting a few stupid ads on the telly advising people to drink responsibly is gonna change things. Too little too late in my eyes, the damage has been already been done. Hypocritical capitalist pigs the lot of em!!

But I fully agree with your comments VERY IRONIC indeed!!!

Love and Happiness
    Hippie
    xx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

AA this is an interesting topic. I think it applies to cigarettes / nicotine products as well, especially as it relates to the government entities. (maybe not so much the "glamming up" of cigarettes / nicotine these days by the media...) All the different levels of government love the tax revenues for both of these addictive substances. The government is addicted to the tax revenues LOL! And you are right Hippie....they spend a teeny amount of that money on some posters that say smoking/drinking is bad for your health....

AA, I think that double standard translates from the screen to the real world as well...the notion that drinking "some" is an important social / stress relief / celebration type activity. But not TOO much or you are "ewwwww."

LOL I remember well the corporate work functions where unlimited alcohol was provided, but someone was always counting. Anyone who had one too many....."ewwwww."

What a crazy world we live in..

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

AA, that is so true. In so many shows they show people drinking when they are upset or whatever. It makes it look 'ok' to drink to numb pain. Well, look where that got all of us.
        I guess people don't realize how many people can't control the drink.

Narilly
        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

I agree. Also, I noticed my drinking went progressively worse when they started opening off sales and private liquor stores. It was easier when the liquor store closed at 6 P.M. and on Sundays. Now they are open 7 days a week and til late in the evening.

Here where I live, there seems to be a new one opening every month. When I take the kids to activities I have to drive by 5 stores now. It can be bad when you are craving and have to "run the gauntlet".

Need that "one last drink" for the evening and it's 10 P.M. No problem. There's a store near you that's open.

:soapbox:

Comment

AA, the media thing drives me nuts. It presents SUCH a distorted picture of drinking. For some reason, I remember that I began to notice it on the old TV show "Dallas," the one that had J.R. Ewing on it. At least once in every episode, J.R. went to the bar that was set up in his house or his office, and poured at least one great big glass of whiskey, and snarfed it down. He never suffered any ill effects at all. No slurred speech, no hangovers, no apparent desire to keep slamming them back all afternoon, and evening, and night. Made it look like something that wealthy and successful people (men, anyway) just did as part of their way of life...

Comment

Oh wip, I remember! He always looked so focused after a shot of hard liquor. I can remember that show like it was yesterday!
              Lila

Comment

Hmmmmmm...here's a link to the JR character. Life imitating art?

BBC News | Booze

Comment

our media and our government are a couple of elitist pigs that dance together on the graves of us little people.

I want the government out of my life, and the media to at least have a modicum of accountability.

oh well.....
                  nosce te ipsum
                  (Know Thyself)

Comment

Mohun;556047 wrote: Hmmmmmm...here's a link to the JR character. Life imitating art?

BBC News | Booze
                    Wow, that is an interesting article! I had no idea that Larry Hagman was actually an alcoholic, and now in AA. 8 years AF now! And he drank all day, every day, while he was filming "Dallas"!

Comment

Everyone: I've been wanting to post here but haven't had the time. I too think that the whole media thing is a major enabler. On the cable stations here in the USA, there are ads for beer, wine, & hard liquor. The ads always show young beautiful people dancing around having fun sipping a lovely cocktail out of a chic glass. No images of 64 year old women drinking wine out of coffee cups. Hmmm, I wonder why. At the end of those ads, there's always the quick message: "Remember, please drink responsibly." As if that's going to prevent people from going out in their cars w/a few (or many) under their belts.

Mary
                      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                      October 3, 2012

Comment

A Work in Progress;556243 wrote: Wow, that is an interesting article! I had no idea that Larry Hagman was actually an alcoholic, and now in AA. 8 years AF now! And he drank all day, every day, while he was filming "Dallas"!
                        WIP when in Dallas did you not see J.R with a glass of whisky in his hand!!!lol God I can't believe I'm fessing up to watching it when I was a kid!!!

p.s. AND DYNASTY!!!lol
                        "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                        Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Working...
                        X