Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF daily - Tuesday Feb 24th

Hello all,

I'm off to the dentist to have two fillings. Yikes! One is a replacement so should be OK but the other is in a wisdom tooth and my dentist says a filling is a better option than removing the tooth because it's in a funny position and I'd have to go to hospital to have it taken out. So that's going to be fun.

Oh well, at least I'm not worried about having booze breath from the night before! Ugg, who'd be a dentist?

I hope you all have a pain-free day!
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Marshy - that sounds painful and a long procedure. Hope you are planning on taking an easy time of it afterwards!

And thanks for starting the thread early ..... not very often that I get to post on the same actual day that the thread is supposed to be for!!

Went to a "networking" function for work this evening and remembered one of the reasons why I drink is because I feel awkward and out of place at them. So had too much fruit juice and too many little pastry nibbly things (but they had lots of spinach in them :H:H). Hung out with 2 people I know and told myself that it was enough to make the effort to just meet one new person. Did that and came home with some relief and made hot cross buns (even though it isn't even Lent yet!!!).

Mary - I have times when the drink tracker is helpful and times when it does my head in. It is great to hear you keep on keeping on and I think of you several times a day!

Hope all to come have a great day .... I'm off to bed!
    Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

We;ve been away for the weekend, and i managed it. So I'm back. Good luck to all today, good luck with the dentist Marshy. All I have is a board meeting later on! Tylyr

Comment

I always wonder what makes someone decide to go into dentistry, but when I am having tooth pain, I just feel SO grateful that they do! I have been going to the same dentist for 31 years. I'm going to miss him when he retires.

So, 'grateful' is what I am for good dentists and for finding MWO and for finding out how good AF feels.
        Now, if the weather would just warm up a bit, I could be grateful for that too!

Have a great day all!
        Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Good Morning Ab Landers!!!

Marshy thank you for getting us started today. Yes - who DOES want to be a dentist and how does that decision get made??? Ewww. Just the thought of hangover breath brings back horrid memories of having to go to work or business meetings or whatever and there wasn't enough toothpaste, mouthwash and breath mints on the planet to cover it up. Bet you are glad not to be in THAT position! That wisdom tooth sounds like no fun. I'll be thinking of you.

Mame you know what's funny about those networking functions? I swear that NOBODY really has fun at them. Except for the handful that are getting WAY too sloshy drunk and they end up pretty oblivious to the fact they are at a "networking function" and only network with the bar tender and the other hard core drinkers anyway. At least that's my observation from know what I used to do (one of the hard core drinkers) and now. And I'm even a pretty social person but put me at a "Networking Function" and I guess all my "Networking Skills" go right out the window. We have one of those this Thursday that we are actually planning to attend (we skip a lot of them). It's at one of the Forest Preserve locations in a visitors building that is pretty new - I've not been in the building even though we bike on rare occassion at the preserve trails. It's really close to home and I want to see the building!!

tylyr good for you getting through the weekend!!

Dill, AF does feel good, doesn't it. Battling the "voice" can be tough, but being hangover free is worth it.

Hi to everyone from late in yesterdays thread - Cindi it's good to see you back and Mary, good for you with the daily homework and check ins. Greenie I would have no fun on a vacation where winery tours were the Main Event. Deter - I hear ya on things making me feel a bit rattled about my sobriety at times! More later but I'm off to a AA meeting then my leads group and some errands and Curves...the usual Tuesday. I'm running behind as I got to clean up dog puke several times this morning. I hope my Beagle is OK. I'm sure he has just been eating stupid stuff - that's usually the case.

Ciao!! (practicing so I can go to Italy with Det and Dx)

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi Everyone:

I'm working on a list of things I'm powerless over. Of course, alcohol is #1. As soon as I have my first sip, I'm gone. Other things:
            -my kids & their stuff
            -my husb & his stuff
            -my mother
            In addition to being an alcoholic, I'm discovering that I'm a control freak...perhaps the 2 go hand in hand. Anyhow, w/each passing day, I'm feeling stronger & the incident of this month is being put behind (though I'll never forget). I'm not glad it happened, but I'm starting to see what a wake-up call it was. Perhaps it was the "bottom" that the AA's refer to.

Deter: I hope you read this. Italy is more than wine. You can enjoy food, sights, & people wo/drinking anything alcoholic. I did just that in 2005. We had a wonderful time...better than if I had been drinking. Yes, we skipped the Chianti wine tour. But we did see Pisa, Siena, Florence & 2 weeks in Sicily.

Same w/Ireland. We had a great time & I didn't drink a thing. No Guinness, no Irish whiskey (& we even took the tour). Think about it.

I'll check back later.

Mary
            Wisdom, Courage, Strength
            October 3, 2012

Comment

Good Morning Abbers,

I am working very hard on prayer and meditation. I guess I have to figure out how to give up those things I can't control and the only place to hand them off is to a higher power. It does make sense, when I look at it that way.

More importantly, I need to get out of myself. (and stay out of there because I do make some really bad choices!!) If I work very hard on trying to be less controlling and more interested in helping others in the world, I won't be able to drink. Drinking takes us into the opposite way of thinking and living.

Sorry if this sounded religious, it isn't, I am truly searching for my spiritual side and have chosen to believe in Good. Good can take my problems and deal with them.

I was sober yesterday and I thank God I was. I have prayed to stay sober today and I can't wait to crawl into bed tonight and thank God I stayed that way.
              Love,
              Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Page 1 again.

Just checking in. I have to go work out and will check back later....

Mo.

Comment

Dentist not too bad! Bit painful but not as bad as I was expecting.

I'm considering going to my first AA meeting this evening. Hmm. Maybe, maybe not. I'll see...
                  sigpic

Comment

Marshy: My sponsor is sending me an AA meeting on Thurs. He says it's very big w/lots of great sharing. He told me I could sit in the back & just listen. I'm doing it! Mary
                    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

good morning

Hey everyone,
                      Just checking in. Went swimming today- 13 here right now, I am really getting tired of the cold weather.
                      AA meeting was great last night- one guy had his 30 year birthday. Wow! I would be so happy to say I had been sober for 30 years. It was 30 years ago that I started drinking...

Sounds like everyone is doing well. I have to go to some appointments now so I will
                      talk to you all later.

Narilly
                      Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                      "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Happy Tuesday AB-friends!

Mary, thank you for the great observations on visiting Italy, that really helps, and WIP's idea of focusing on photography, all good stuff. I just get anxious sometimes I guess.

Marshy, I don't envy you trip to the dentist, and glad it wasn't too bad.

Narilly, swimming in 13degree weather sounds soooooo appealing LOL

had an awesome workout last night and am pleasantly sore now.

everyone enjoy the wonderful clarity of your 'now moment'

be well
                        nosce te ipsum
                        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Determinator;556482 wrote: everyone enjoy the wonderful clarity of your 'now moment'
                          Boy do I have a lot of work to do in order to be there most of the time! (or right now, just some of the time!) Deter I love any and all reminders to keep workin' at that!

Narilly count me in as another one who is ready for spring! Good for you going swimming anyway - I assume and hope indoors, right? I know what you mean about the big anniversaries. I'm actually enjoying just sort of sitting there and letting the cumulative sobriety in the room sort of wash over me, if that makes any sense. I love the Daily AF group here at MWO but there is something comforting to me about being one of the "baby AFers" in the room.

That brings on some thinking....sometimes we get called upon to be the "leaders" here at MWO with maybe 4 months or 6 months or 1 year or just a little more of sobriety. Maybe "called upon" isn't the right phrase. But I feel compelled somehow to help coach people who are just trying to get started. I don't really feel qualified, but maybe slightly more qualified than advice being given by active drinkers? This is not intended as a personal remark - just an observation about the community in general. We really are the blind leading the blind sometimes. Being around truly long term sober people is helping me keep it all in perspective I think. And reminds me how vigilent I need to be.

Well, that was pretty random!

Mary I'm liking the BIG meetings right now too. You CAN sit in the back (or even closer) but still not feel any pressure to say anything unless you want to. Frankly, I haven't felt any pressure in the smallest meeting I've been to either. That one was on Sunday morning at 7AM and there were only maybe 8 or 10 people at that one. That's an interesting exercise you are working on with your "control" list. Hmmm....maybe I'll work vicariously through you and your sponsor since I haven't taken that step yet.

:b&d::sofa: Hi Mo!!

Marshy, glad the dentist wasn't too bad. If you decide to go tonight I'll look forward to your thoughts.

Cinders, that is a good topic - getting outside of ourselves. AFTER I knew I was an alkie but BEFORE I decided to take action, I had a little brother through the Big Brothers Big Sisters program. I never drank when I was with him, or before I saw him. Never drove with even a drop of alcohol in me when I was to spend time with him. (Thank goodness - not sure how I managed that, but I'm grateful I did) HOWEVER....If often chose drinking over scheduling time to do something with him. Or I would schedule something with him intentionally early in the day (so I could "get it over with" and let the drinking commence) even if there was something that would have been more interesting or fun for him and I to do toether later. I was a CRAPTACULAR Big Sister. I'm not proud of that. In fact that is probably one of the things that disgusts me the most of all the shitty things I did while drinking, planning to drink or recovering from drinking. I look forward to doing things like that with a better attitude.

Well, it's Junior World Championships of Figure Skating this week. The babies! Pairs Short Program is on and they just finished with the Zamboni, so I'm gonna run.

Have an ever so excellent rest of a sober Tuesday, and on to Wednesday for Mame, Sugar, Wookie and the Archies.

DG
                          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Mary - you sound excited about your meeting! Let us know all about it, OK? I like the idea of sitting at the back and just listening.

I didn't make it to the meeting I was considering tonight, but I've decided to call AA tomorrow and talk through a few things with them and see where that leads me. I can absolutely see the benefit of face-to-face meetings with fellow alcoholics but I'm not sure it's necessarily the right organisation for me for various reasons. I don't think, for example, that I could work the 12 steps - I don't think I'm powerless over alcohol etc etc. Maybe I'm kidding myself about that, but at the moment I couldn't actually get past step 1! But I don't even know if and when you're supposed to work the steps, so I'm going to call them and see what they say about all that. That's a start! :H

Det - forget sunny, sumptuous Italy! Come to rainy old England instead. We don't make wine and you can have tea with the Queen! (Erm, I'm kidding about tea with the Queen.)
                            sigpic

Comment

Hi all

Sorry not had chance to add anything to the thread these last couple of days.
                              Still haven't had chance to send my congratulations to DG and WIP on their 9 and 7 month anniversaries - you are doing just great, such an inspiration - not long to get to that year now!
                              Everyone sounds so positive today - that's great - glad the dentist wasn't too bad Marshy!
                              Mary - glad things are working out well with your sponsor - hope you find the meeting helpful on Thursday.
                              I haven't much news, been to the swimming pool 3 x today - both my kids lessons and then did 40 lengths myself tonight.

Take care everyone

Sausage x

Comment

Working...
                              X