What is SMART?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is SMART?

I really enjoyed Doggygirls post about AA. I've enjoyed AA in the past, myself.

I saw mention of SMART online. Can someone tell me what this is?

Much thanks!
    SF
    "If it is to be, it is up to me" -R Stayer
    "You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." -Christopher Robin

What is SMART?

SMART Recovery is another program to help break out of addiction. SMART Recovery? | Help with Alcohol, Drug, and Other Addictions is the web site. They also have face to face meetings available in some cities. I like the "thinking" exercises in SMART. One of the more beneficial ones to me has been the "CBA" (Cost Benefit Analysis) You can read mine if you like - it's in post # 155. https://www.mywayout.org/community/f8...tml#post502714 I updated it at various points since the original writing, mainly adding things I "conveniently" forgot and/or calling myself out on my own bullshit. There are many examples of this and all the other tools at the SMART web site.

I find it beneficial to be a student of recovery and check out all the different options. I'm finding that with an open mind, there is all kinds of helpful stuff out there.

Best wishes,

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

What is SMART?

Totally agree with DG. Also, I'd point out that the exercises in the "tool box" at the SMART site were developed using the principles of behavioral change that are very well-accepted by mainstream scientists in the field of psychology. When they are actually used (the way that DG uses her CBA, for example), they make a tremendous difference in the way we approach our own thinking about alcohol, and our own approach to our emotional and behavioral lives. It's the difference between living in an intentional, deliberate, thoughtful manner... and just flailing about, feeling as if we are passive victims in our own lives.

Comment

Working...
      X