Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekly AA Thread - Week of April 27 - May 3

AA,

I have met some of the most wonderful, caring, giving people at AA. They truly care and will pick up the phone and talk no matter what time.

I am looking forward to the day when I can give back more than I do.

I find I am now looking for the small things I can do. It does uplift.

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Thinking of you, Cindi....hope all goes well today. Stay strong and sober.

Don

Comment

Chief I hope all is well with you. I pray for you (and me too) I am back to an AF life, the few bumps in the road last week beat me up mentally pretty bad (not to mention a great hangover) Today is another day. Keep strong!
        You are my hero!
        Deb
        DLW
        Sobriety since October 2008 ( with a few bumps in the road ) - but I am still here, strong and fighting every day for my sobriety!
        And every day is a challenge - But I am WINNING so far!

• Yesterday is History
          Today is a Mystery
          Tomorrow is a GIFT

Comment

Hello everyone!

First and foremost, Cindi I will be thinking of your SIL and you and your family. Don I am thinking of you too and your wife and FIL and family. Cancer is a horrible disease and affects way to many lives. I hope for the best possible outcomes for your loved ones.

Cindi I think when it comes to doing for others, size doesn't matter. And what might seem like a small thing to one of us might be a big thing to someone else. You just never know. I'm sure the seemingly small things you are doing for others are making a difference to those people.

Mary, congratulations on your 30 day chip! That sure brings a smile to my face. I wish I could have been there to cheer for you! But we'll give a cheer here - how 'bout that. :yougo::yougo::yougo: Wow - 100 people meetings. That is big! I haven't been to any that big yet.

AA I actually find the traditions very interesting but I suppose that's due to a career in "management" (a hefty % of it anyway) before we started our own business. I see the traditions as the "glue" that holds the AA organization together. AA has withstood the test of time more than most corporations, so I just find the history of it facinating. The "old timers" in that group reference The Washingtonians and other historical stuff beyond what's in the 12 &12 book - it's definitely like going to Sober School LOL! At any rate, isn't it cool how you just never know what really good lessons will come out of the meeting. Facing jail time or any serious consequences of our actions with acceptance rather than resentment is a huge step. I don't think I could face jail time so calmly at this stage!

Hello okey and Winefree and Precious and dlw and all others too.

The meeting I attended this morning had some fireworks including some (IMO) rather inappropriate commentary from an "old timer" who is 30+ years sober, and also very involved in matters at the club facility. (inappropriate because he very directly condemned what two people who were in the meeting had just talked about). His opinion is of course just as valid as anyone else's. However I have never witnessed that sort of personal attack / condemnation at an AA meeting. I had to leave early as I always do on Tuesdays to get to a business function at 8AM, but my guess is that some of the other long termers in the room might have had something to say to him about it privately. IMO there was a silver lining. Everyone remained calm and polite - at least on the face of it - and stood up for everyone's right to speak and talk about whatever they need to talk about. (this particular meeting is not a specific Big Book Study or anything like that with a more defined agenda)

Now I think my own work can begin avoiding my natural intincts to "gossip" about it behind the scenes. I am determined not to go there.

Every meeting is different, and not always what we expect that is for sure!!

Have a great sober day everyone,

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Still here and stil going strong. I went to a noon meeting again today. It is a tricky job fitting in work, a meeting, kids homework and then outpatient. Put building a new house in there somewhere as well. The meetings are helping me to keep focused on what is important and what I can control. I really have to work on keeping things simple and first things first. I still want to do it all and rule the world somehow. Still convienced I can be Superwoman somehow. I need to learn the skill of "being still".

I hear so many cliches in AA and they are all funny because they are all true. Yesterday I heard that we are "Egomanics with an Inferiority Complex"

We all tend to be self-centered but, at the same time think we are somehow not good enough in some aspect.
            Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

Day 2 here....

The Beast was all over me around 2:00 this afternoon. So I said, "okay Beast, let's go get some beer".....then I drove right to the gym and went running for 40 minutes. When I was done running I felt great and The Beastard was nowhere to be found.....

I think he is pouting somewhere...

And Mary, a BIG congratulations on your 30 day chip! I wish I could have been there, as well.

I'm glad everyone is staying AF.

dlw.....stick with me. I not turning back.

Don

Comment

The beast is a crafty son of gun isn't he?! Glad you put him in his place.
                Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

So glad to hear all have fended the beast off today.

I have stayed sober.

SIL's surgery lasted 7 1/2 hours. we will know for sure in 3 days but the doctor said he was 99% sure it was cancer.

The beast never touched me today.

I am not going back, either.

Love,
                  Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I'm sorry to hear the news about the surgery.

But, Cindi.....I am very proud of you for staying sober....very proud.

Try and relax a little tonight.

Cherish your sobriety.

Don

Comment

Stay Sober Cindi! your doing great, And I am so proud for you Chief,

That damn Beast, will he EVER go away and give us some peace. Sounds like we all have our shield up! THANK YOU GOD
                      DLW
                      Sobriety since October 2008 ( with a few bumps in the road ) - but I am still here, strong and fighting every day for my sobriety!
                      And every day is a challenge - But I am WINNING so far!

• Yesterday is History
                        Today is a Mystery
                        Tomorrow is a GIFT

Comment

Hellow Fellows
                        Had a great meeting today at my home group. I'm starting to realize that what I thought was low self-esteem (always worrying about what others think) is really pride. Humility is something that I hope to get more of as I continue this journey.
                        Congrats on your 1 month coin Mary!
                        Cindi and Chief, I feel for you and your families at this difficult time but glad to hear you are getting through it sober.

Comment

Seems like a bad day for illness. My sister sounds like she had another small stroke this w/e with increased confusion and forgetfulness. Bad triggers after an already SAD day..but I too kept the beast at bay. Went to a beginners AA mtg and just took it all in, had to fight off the well lets just drink and the pain will go away, but then it doesn't does it?

Let;s keep fighting him off...

WF

Comment

Hi guys....

I am so sorry about the medical illnesses....Cindy...my prayers are with you sister in law...prayers out to you too winefree-

Well, I am back on the wagon. I am actually going to commit to 2 meetings a day now. I changed my sponsor today to someone who requires that committment and although it is alot I am willing to do it. AA does help. I could never get 4 days together let alone 4 months, so I realize that this is what I must do.

Chief, I am proud of you for picking yourself up and moving forward....you were, are, and will always be a hero to me.

glad to be part of this thread.

Beth
                            formerly known as bak310

Comment

Hello everyone! Just wanted to give some words of support for those who have family members who are ill. It's scary and I know the drinking triggers abound and I'm happy that everyone stayed sober for Tuesday.

Okey, I am finding it very revealing - this assessment of humility and pride. I'm realizing that many things within me are not as I thought they were. For me it's a very enlightening and also empowering process. I can see how I have been the primary cause of my own upsets. And upsets were a great excuse to drink so I welcomed and created that chaos. It's great to be learning how to recognize that behavior and stop it. Life is much more peaceful that way.

Lucy if a change in sponsor was positive for your sobriety then I am glad for that. I'm not sure I am with the right sponsor. She is a very good person but might not be the best person for the sponsor role with me. I'm not sure though so I'm keepin' on and I figure if I'm patient and calm things with work out as they are supposed to.

Well, I need to do some final "get ready" things then be off to Curves and then to AA. Have a great day everyone! Postive healing vibes to all who need them today.

DG
                              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi Everyone:

Okey: I'm giving thought to what you said about worry about what people think of me as being prideful. I never thought about it that way, but yes, it is very self-centered. I've been on the look-out for that kind of self-consciousness & self-absorption. I think it's part of the disease.

Lucy: The meetings help a lot. Also, a sponsor that expects you to do what you are told (at least in the beginning stages) is a good idea. My spons wants me to call every day & do some kind of writing on the steps daily as well. One day last week, I had put off the step work all day & did it at night right before bed. I didn't want to make my call & not have my work done. It's a good thing to have a healthy fear of what our spons will say...not that mine is harsh w/me at all.

Last night's meeting: I go to at least 2 speakers meetings @ week & never tire of hearing peoples' stories. Last night's was a woman I could really identify with. She had it all on the outside: home, dog, education, husb, child but drank by herself & was living a lie. She also talked about a relapse after a long period of sobriety (& the ensuing discussion focussed on relapse). She said she had lost her "fear" of the disease. She began to think that she was staying sober by herself. She forgot to take her sobriety one day at a time. She said that the desire "to get out of herself" will always be there, & she can never forget that. In the discussion that followed, there were sharings from people who had relapsed after 8 yrs - 18 yrs sober. It was a real wake-up call for me. I can NEVER let down my guard. It's not just the social occasions that are difficult. It's ANYTIME. I can always get a bottle & start up again. Her relapse came when she was getting ready to move...she admitted it was in the works for a long time. She got some boxes from the liquor store (she couldn't get the boxes from the supermarket right next door?). She had the boxes labelled w/Bacardi, Smirnoff, etc. in her house for a few days & in a white-out (that's what she called it), she went back to the liquor store & bought a bottle (or more). She drank for 4 days, got very sick, & came out of it. She called AA friends & is now going back to meetings regularly, doing service, speaking, etc.

It can happen to anyone. I feel like a fledgling sober person but will read the notes I've taken constantly. When people speak about relapses after a long period of time, even grown, big guys' voices crack. It's that disappointing.

Mary
                                Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                                October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X