Weekly AA Thread - Week of April 27 - May 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winefree, especially in the end I was a "get sloshed at home" drunk too. That is one of the things I love most about going to AA meetings - it's such a relief to realize I am not alone, and to be able to talk so openly and brutally honestly about what it was like. Obviously this forum accomplishes the same thing to a point (which is wonderful)...there is something even more "real" for me about the experience in person.

Cy, thank you for sharing how it's going with the amends and also your sponsor's feedback re: your MIL. It's very helpful to know about that type of reaction, and to give thought to the idea that everyone isn't "all about our sobriety" - even with our attempt at ammends - right away. That is understandable considering the many years of drinking and subsequent crap we doled out to those around us.

I am so grateful these days to just be able to catch my wild thoughts before they get too far down a bad road on me. Something silly started to get me riled up yesterday late afternoon. While the best response would have been to ignore it completely, which I didn't quite achieve that, I quickly caught the thoughts / feelings and squelched it. There is no use getting upset over something so silly. (I'm a grown up after all) I'm convinced that one of the reasons I was easily "upset" in my drinking days was a desire to be upset - it gave me such a great excuse to drink.

I will be going to 7AM meeting and then helping pick up some clothing to donate for kids. (we have a clothing room at the club where people can bring stuff and others can go through it and take what they need). One guy has a rental property and when the tennants moved out on short notice, they left a lot of their belongings behind including a lot of children's clothes. Whatever the circumstances, it would be a shame for the clothes to end up in the garbage.

Have a good one all!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I too was a home drinker. It was easier to hide. I would love to read that story out of the BB & hear a discussion. It would be most relevant to me.

I had a meeting w/my spons today. I'm finished w/the writing part of Step 4. I have some reading to do & reviewing, but I'm essentially done. The thought of going over the whole thing (Step 5) w/my spons & revealing all the awful truth is very, very scary. I KNOW I have to do it however. I cannot heal from this unless I do. I'll get through it. First, though, I'm doing the next right thing for the next right reason. Then, I'll cross the Step 5 bridge when I get to it. I know I'll feel that a giant weight has been lifted.

MWO is the absolute only place I have revealed the details of my secret drinking. The thought of doing that w/a real person is daunting but necessary. Anyhow, that's the future. One day at a time is only way to get through this right now.

My SIL has a 3 day training next Tue, Wed, Thur. I hope I can get here to MWO during that period. I tend to need it more when I'm going through a long b-sitting stint.

I'll be back.

Mary
      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
      October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
      X