Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THANK YOU ALL for the year I've had!!!

Dear ABland

I'm feeling very emotional today (hah, what else is new!) because exactly a year ago I jumped onto a 14-day AF thread which ended up changing my life MASSIVELY. I was on my way to visit my Dad and didn't want to fall into the rut of anxiety-driven daily drinking that had become a habit during our encounters after he'd been diagnosed with MND. I initially thought I just wanted to get through the two weeks sober.

Well, one thing led to another. I liked the gang on Boozebusters and had a run of 4.5 months AF. During that time I was mentally preparing to move to my Dad's city temporarily in order to look after him as his health deteriorated. It was a daunting thought, and I felt so much stronger AF. When I finally went in August, I only had 3 weeks with him before he passed on. It was a huge shock that reality failed to conform to my plans, but luckily by then the AF lifestyle was so engrained that I marched through all the arrangements without a thought of drinking.

It was only when I returned to London for a few weeks in October that I decided to experiment with my old lifestyle. Which meant go with the flow, have a few drinks with people who drank. The problem wasn't so much that I'd get drunk all the time - I did have 2 drunk episodes during that trip, the only ones all year - but it felt completely wrong. I got antsy and nervous. I'd been diagnosing my drinking patterns and knew I went overboard when I was stressed out. I knew I drank on strong emotions. There I was, newly bereaved - duh!

The next phase of my year was built on the realisation that I couldn't go back to my old habits. Emotional instability + AL = train wreck, for me. If I was to have a drink, it could only be in a safe setting, on a safe day. That meant abstaining 98% of the time. I'd occasionally have a glass of wine at dinner parties, and that worked in terms of controlling my drinking. I didn't crave more and I didn't get nervous. My tolerance had gone way down anyway. From everything I've read here, I realise that is only possible because my drinking career is fairly recent.

The jury's out on whether that could be a long-term lifestyle or whether I'd eventually talk myself into upping the doses. I returned to work in the new year, and the weirdest thing happened - as I continued to work on the bereavement in counselling, I realised I missed the power of abstinence. Moderation was ok but it was recovery-neutral, whereas 100% abs is empowering. I can't put my finger on it, but it's got to do with having control over your feelings, choices, reality at all times. Taking responsibility for yourself, at all times. Today the upshot is that I WANT to abstain and I love it! Not an outcome I would have predicted when I first started those 14 days.

I've been thinking a lot recently about what this past year could have looked like if I hadn't stumbled upon the MWO website, and it doesn't bear thinking about. I still can't believe people I've never met have had such a huge impact on my life!! Your stories have given me so much motivation to carry on - and though I left for a while thinking I had this drinking thing licked with my 'moderation formula', I'm grateful that so many of you are still here to share the recovery that carries on in so many forms on these pages. Thank you all for helping me off the slippery slope and for sharing this journey - it's been amazing! :l:h:l

Aunty Mame was one of the founders of that 14-day thread - special thank you, Mame, wherever you are!!!! :thanks:

Hi Pam
    Great to see someone truly benefiting from the hard work required to break away from al.You should be very proud because you make us proud to see your accomplishments.Ever time one of us is successful we don't even realize the impact it has on fellow members. Congratulations! Keep inspiring

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
    AF 5-16-08
    Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
    AF 5-16-08

Comment

Panima,

Thanks you very much for sharing this story. I have always enjoyed reading your very thoughtful posts.

One of the many things you mentioned that struck a chord for me is how empowering being AF free is. I have found that too. It has given me self-confidence to know that I can go through anything without needing the crutch of a drink. Very empowering indeed! Keep on keeping on Panima...there is no stopping you now.

Best,
      M3
      AF Since April 20, 2008
      4 Years!!!
      :lilheart:

Comment

Pamina, thanks! For me too hearing you talk about how empowering AF is...its true. For me, its the way to be.
        You have had quite a year. Keep up the good work!
        Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
        Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Congratulations - great job. I am hoping I will post the same in 362 days!

Comment

Thanks Panima - many benefit from your experience and your posts. This 'empowerment' piece is VERY interesting...I suspect that may be true for others. Thanks for naming it, so we all can see.

Comment

:yougo::yougo::yougo:CONGRATULATIONS PAMINA!!!!:yougo::yougo::yougo:

What a wonderful and inspiring post. You are an amazing woman and have gone through SO much in this past year with a terrific attitude even during the toughest of times.

I love how you describe the empowering nature of being AF if we only stop to consider it that way. Wonderful. Thank you for sharing so much of yourself on this journey.

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Congratulations Pamina.
                It is so true; sobriety is incredibly empowering, something we totally forget while we are on the sauce. I share your happiness and I can feel the contentment in your soul. It's 341 days for me today.
                You chose a perfect name for yourself. Whenever I read your name it reminded me of the beautiful Pamina liberated from bondage.......in the magic Flute!
                Very big bear hug.
                Lori
                *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

Thank you for sharing this very inspiring post
                  "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Good for you!
                    I like the idea about achieving more than "recovery neutral". It is so important - for me anyway - not only to stop drinking but to recover physically, mentally, emotionally.
                    sigpic
                    AF since December 22nd 2008
                    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Thank you for sharing your story of this last incredibly difficult year for you - it was very motivating for me. I too love the idea of the strength / empowerment that being AF gives you - i'd never really looked at it like that before - thank you - and good luck with your onward journey.

Comment

What a wonderful story !!!!
                        What a difference a year can make, that's for SURE !!!
                        sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

That is wonderful pamina! What a stepping stone in your journey! Congratulations!
                          sigpic
                          Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

You are brilliant.

Recovery neutral is really giving me something to think about.
                            Learn from yesterday, live for today and hope for tomorrow - Einstein
                            AF 8 June 2012

Comment

Pamina,

Well done and thank you for writing us about the reflective way you see your year AF.

Good luck w/ year two!

July

Comment

Working...
                              X