AF Daily - Monday - May 18, 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Morning AFreedom Riders! It's 5 AM and I am up to take my son to his rendezvous for a 2 week backpacking trip. The young teacher, her husband & a chaperone, are taking 16 13-14 yr old boys. She is a better woman than I.

This would be a hard task if I were not AF - the getting up and having him organized. And, there would have been some yelling and frustration in the process. But I even have time to wake you all up, as well.

Rise and Shine!

PS - 9 AM It was too early - wrote wrong date - just figured out how to correct

Morning abbers!

Hi hg & gia! If I drank the night before I probably would have been awake at 4:30 anyway (not by choice you understand ). Many things were such an unnecessary ordeal when drinking.

Yesterday afternoon rained here gia and I watched Benjamin Button. It was loooong but good. Last night at 10:30 I got in the car and returned it to the night drop. After I was in bed I thought about how nice it was to jump in the car at that time and run an errand. Well, not that the errand was nice, but that I was sober and able to do it.

I didn't go fishing because I sort of hurt my thumb and then there was the rain.... But I had a good time by myself at home.

HAve a good day!
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Wow guys - I had a flashback when I was drinking. I would usually wake up at 3am to infomercials being on TV and I would actually sit there and watch them. Of course I felt like total hell, so I would be off to search the house for any vodka, wine, etc to try and take the edge off and calm my mind -- at 3am.....

What a crazy way to live my life, thank God (and I just did) I was able to pull my way out of there and can take for granted all the little 'problems' that I have on a daily basis. Thanks to you guys, today those problems seem pretty damn small.

Hope everyone has a great Monday.
      Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Yes, drinking just makes everything much, much worse. I too had a middle-of-the-night wake-ups & couldn't get back to sleep...all the while knowing I had a full day ahead of me. What an awful feeling. AAth, thank you for reminding me. I need those reminders of how badly drinking effected my life. Mary
        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
        October 3, 2012

Comment

Good morning friends!

I managed to take a little time to catch up on yesterdays thread. I am so happy for everyone that is enjoying their "new" sober life and the inspiration is oozing about!!

It is great to see some familiar "avatars" and new ones as well! :welcome:

We attended our nephew's graduation where there was plenty of alcohol. I am still a little perplexed by my attitude about drinking. As long as there is food--I don't care about drinking. There were even a few standing around smoking and drinking beer--which caused a little twinge of "man--that looks kinda good" but quickly reminded myself there really was nothing good about it. There was a huge cooler of margaritas that was on the food table and some of the younger crowd filled their cups. I mentioned this to hubby and he told his sister she should put a sign on it that it had alcohol in it--but I don't think they really cared. The youngest one I saw is 14 and he said he didn't know (managed to chug it before anyone told him) but knowing his history--suspect he did know. The graduates were allowed to drink as long as they were discreet. This is the type of thing that is so accepted in our communities here. And I still don't really know how I feel about it. As long as it is kept to a few close friends and the kids don't get carried away or leave the premise.......????? I sometimes hate feeling the the prude that follows the strict letter of the law--I will be the bad guy when my sons get older I'm sure.

Well, I really do need to run. Need to make the cemetery look especially nice with Memorial Day coming up!!!!

Congrats-Cindi!!!!!

Have a great one! :h
          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Good morning one & all,

I woke up this morning with a heightened sense of gratitude! Thanks to all of you and your support. I am 8 weeks AF in just a few days and everything is different, better, better than better............

Being able to sleep after so many years of insomnia is just fabulous. I actually awoke in the same position in which I went to sleep. Can't tell you what that means to me. I feel like a new person.
            I spent a few peaceful hours with my new grandson yesterday, it was wonderful. I wouldn't have been able to do that with my old, continual hangover. He has been my inspiration and continues to be my motivation to stay AF.

Wishing everyone peace & happiness
            Lavande
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

top of the hangover-free Monday ABerooooos!

HiddenGoal, thanks for the loverly kickstart today.

Lavande, you are radiant this morning great to see.

AAthlete ditto that: Thanks to you guys, today those problems seem pretty damn small.

had an annoying drinking dream last night. arg! I just hate those. but the best part is waking up and realizing it's a bad dream. whew!

LVT I'm sure you can find a way to be strict about al consumption and not be the 'bad guy' with your son. it will be a mighty test of your diplomacy skills but there must be a way. I'm not a parent mind you so it's easy for me to say.

off to see the wizard, be well everyone and all to come
              nosce te ipsum
              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Hello everyone. Det, I NEVER got to sleep last night, thank you. Hope everyone else is well!
                sigpic
                Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

dang it Ruby, no methamphetamines after 3pm!

well heck it was funny chatting last night anyway. sleep tonight! doctors orders.
                  nosce te ipsum
                  (Know Thyself)

Comment

Hello everyone! CONGRATULATIONS CINDI! What a great topic that has emerged today - gratitude for the little things in sobriety. I caught myself cussing a blue streak in my head this morning when I spilled some coffee down the front of my cream colored shirt. (I am chairperson of Women In Support Of The Letter F if anyone wants to join). I am very glad I have learned to stop myself quickly from that mode, and think to myself "if that is the worse thing that happens to me today, it's a GREAT day!"

HG, YES mornings are SO much easier un-hung. I hope your son has fun on the trip!

Gia, hope you and LG have a nice day at the movies.

Greenie I can totally relate to those random grateful thoughts while driving at times that when drinking, we would definitely not been safe to drive. For me that was noon or often earlier. 10:30PM????? HA! Sorry you didn't get to fish but glad to hear you had a good weekend anyway.

Wow AA. Now you have given me that flashback of waking up at 3AM to infomercials and all that follows. And yes, I too would lay there and actually catch myself watching. Yick. I am SO grateful not to be doing that any more!

Yes Mary, AL sure did affect life in such a bad way. It's hard to believe (yet it's true) that AL is SO powerful that despite the wreckage, we still have fantasies of wanting to go back. Those are fewer and farther between now, for which I am certainly grateful!

LVT, it must feel kind of good to have a part in making the cemetary look particularly nice with Memorial Day coming up. Oh....the kids. There are some times when I wonder what it would be like to have some. Then there are other times......

Lavande congratulations on almost 8 weeks AF!

Det, if I go with you to see the wizard will he give me a brain?? (she asks ever so sweetly)

Ruby I'm sorry to hear you did not get to sleep!! suckysuckysucky that is!! Hope the sand man visits you tonight? (isn't it the sand man who brings the dreams????)

It's a gorgeous day here today. The sun is shining and it's a bit on the crisp side in the low 60's. I look out there at the garden - both the one in the ground and the other one in the porch pots and think I can hear all these plants just loving it. I have 2 strawberry plants on the porch (they already had some teeny strawberries when I got them) and one of the berries is starting to turn red! It's a good day to appreciate the small things. That makes up for the coffe spill.

In other news, I have finally been making some progress cleaning out our "3rd bedroom" (aka junk room) and that feels good. Lots of clothes going to one of the local Mission centers.

Have a great day all.

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Have had a hell of a day today, woke up to stomach cramps and havign to shower (anybody who has eczma knows that this can be an extremely sore experience). Then did some last minute revision and thankfully had my boyfriend over for a couple of hours to calm mew down before the dreaded exam. I failed by the way, least I think I did, I won't find out until August but that paper was HARD. Anyway, am trying my best not to give in and have a drink, which after a day like this is a great effort of will, but i'm determined to succeed. I finish school in just one week now, with study leave etc. Going to be good ahving a little time to sit down and think about what the future holds.

-TG
                      The way I change the past is by not repeating it
                      -James Hetfield, Metallica

Comment

TG, sorry to hear that things didn't go exactly the way that you wanted them to, but what's done is done and all you can do is move forward from here. Take the time you need to figure things out, but remember that's always easier to do with a clear head.
                        Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

TG -- hang in there. ODAT. You will have much less remorse if you skip the AL and be able to get a clear Big Picture.

I don't miss waking up with heartburn. Yuck.

I've had some very busy weeks lately and met several deadlines. This week is very quiet at work and I plan to take Tuesday and Friday off. I'm reading "emotiomal alchemy" and I feel like I've found a book that can take me to the next level of personal growth. That sounds kind of corny but it is what it is.

I need to search the forums for discussions about this book. I liked "Freedom from Addiction" and how it revised the 12 steps to be more suited for all beliefs, but it didn't really give me enough to think about. Emotional Alchemy is like homemade rolls dipped in garlic butter for my brain right now. That's corny too but DET will like it.

Off to do some gardening and read, read, read.

Comment

love ya Speedster! XXXXXXXX
                            nosce te ipsum
                            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Hey speedster---you can tell me all about the book, since I obviously am not going to have time to read my copy!!!
                              The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Working...
                              X