Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, what's this AF Daily thread all about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are new to My Way Out and just looking around, or if you are just new to the Monthly Abstinence section of the forum, you might be wondering about all the threads titled "AF Daily." You might be wondering "What's that all about, and should I post there?"

If you have a goal to be alcohol free for the short term or the long term, then you are welcome to post on the AF Daily threads and get to know the longer term posters on that thread, and let us get to know you!

For me, the AF Daily thread is a good way to get the day going with a strong reminder that staying sober is my #1 priority each day. The AF Daily thread is my #1 place to check in. On a busy day, it might be the ONLY thread I look at. It's my place to touch base with my friends who share a common goal of sobriety - no matter where we are on the path - to make sure I've got my priorities right for the day.

Sometimes we talk about topics specifically related to sobriety. Sometimes we talk about gardening or pets or good books. The only thing we DON'T talk about is any plans to "drink moderately." Many of us simply cannot drink, ever, and don't need to entertain fantasies about drinking. That said, if you are planning to stay AF for some length of time and try moderation later, you are welcome to join us for your AF stint. We just don't talk much about moderate drinking since most of us failed miserably at that, and therefore have no good advice to offer.

I hope that others who post on the AF Daily threads will add their comments about what they get out of posting on the AF Daily thread!

So newcomers, come on in! AF Daily is a great way to get to know some folks with some solid sober time under their belts as well as committed folks just starting out. And everything in between. Get some inspiration and advice. Get sober.

Strength and hope to all,

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Thanks Doggy, I really should post more often on this daily thread. The last few days have been wonderful for me. I've been sober, have seen my grandchildren, done lots of things that I would'nt have done, had I been drinking.had an appointment with a hypnotherapist this morning, he said I need to deal with issues from my childhood/youth (I won't argue with that) I can now see light at the end of the tunnel. It has taken me many years to realise I can't do it alone.
    Paula.x

Comment

Hello all. My goal is AF forever but that sounds impossible so I plan on setting my goal is smaller chunks instead. Right now I am on day 14 AF, which feels fantastic. My current goal is 30 days and then another 30 and then another and on and on. But 30 is good for now. Your support really helps.

Comment

Good on you for 14 days Prancy!

Comment

I haven't checked into the daily thread for a while; however, (for all you newbies out there), in the past, I have found it very helpful. I joined MWO in Apr. 07 & discovered after about a year here that I wanted to be AF. I tried modding, but it didn't work for me. Even after admitting to being an alcoholic, I relapsed a few times (or more). I'm now working w/both MWO & AA in order to stay sober.

I agree that any suggestion of moderating would have me off & running w/fantasies of cocktails & chilled white wine in stemware. I KNOW I cannot do that, because I have tried too many times to count. I would soon be drinking the wine out of a coffee cup at 9 AM if so much as a drop of AL hit my lips. My denial system is such that I could convince myself to drink for the flimsiest of reasons. That's why I'm very, very careful to stay on AF threads only. I don't want anything at all to interfere w/my sobriety. It's way too precious to me.

Thanks for the reminder DG about the purpose of the daily thread. I think I'll go there now.

Mary
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

The AF Daily thread is a place of serious discussions re: our collective problem, but also a place of sharing of other interests. I guess my main reason for posting there is to be around others that have long term sobriety time and goals. I know a year or a year and a half is not really all that long, in the scheme of things, but it is pretty darn good!!! The thread is a positive environment for those seeking long term AF.
            Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

I haven't posted in Monthly Abs for a while, but I wanted to lend my support to DoggyGirl's thread. If you want to be abstinent for any length of time, this is the place to be. I've been in MWO for three and a half years, and I spent about a lot of time here. I've been sober a while, and I am enjoying all the benefits of being fully present while I live my life.

I received so much help and support while I was here, and I don't think I could have gotten or stayed sober without Monthly Abs (and the daily thread) and my therapist.

dill, I think a year and a half is great!

Mary and DG, I think so highly of you and I hope you are both doing well.

Sending love and hugs,

Kathi :l

AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

dill, I think a year and a half is awesome!! I have gone for a bit more than a year quite a while ago but never a year and a half. Good thing to aspire to.

Comment

The AF daily thread keeps me honest. We give and receive support and inspiration here.
                  And occasionally we discuss other stuff because it is now more important to us than drinking.

:l
                  :h
                  The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

sounds like a good place to be.. i'll check it out. thanks

Comment

Oh Lord! I WISH I had a year and a half! No, sadly, not me. It is definitely something I aspire to! Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to OTHERS on the thread having that kind of sober time! I'm just hoping what they have that got them there will 'rub off' on me!
                      Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Oh well. Just think it daily and it shall be yours!

Comment

Bump for Afresh and any other newbies.

Comment

Hi To You All

Think this forum is right for me.
                            Modding is not an option.

Mary i have done the coffee cup too :H

This is my beginning of leading a sober life.
                            Please god.

love and hugs to you all
                            annie
                            xx
                            "Just when i was getting used to yesterday,along came today"
                            Bring it on!

Comment

Working...
                            X