Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF for 11 days and counting

I hope I'm posting in the right part of these boards. :new:

I'm not moderating (I don't think I can!) so I'm just going for it and trying to go AF until 30 July which is when I will sit down with my doctor and make another deal. The first deal was AF for one week, the second deal was AF for two weeks ...

I am 41 year old Englishman living in Asia and I've been boozing since my teens. I've been very good at drinking and it's been a large part of my life. I don't want to do it any more but as you all know stopping isn't that easy.

I know I want to stop - so thats a step in the right direction. I don't think AA is right for me somehow, although a decision not to drink taken each morning is definitely pretty effective.

I'm doing 25mg of Topomax twice a day, not really noticing any side effects apart from some tingling for a while and a little dizziness and not sure if its reducing my desire to drink or if thats just good old fashioned resolve or beginners luck.

I'm mixing the cessation of booze in with restarting exercise, eating better, weight loss and looking to regenerate my life somewhat and my outlook too.

Anyway looking through these message boards I see that there are a lot of very encouraging people here and I hope to make friends, see if I can be supportive and maybe get some help along the way.

As part of my program I've started a blog so I can keep a diary and record of cravings, triggers, recipes, defeats and victories along the way. You are welcome to read it and comment.

Arrow in the blue

How's everyone else doing on the monthly abstinence thing?
    My sobriety blog http://drfeelgood.wordpress.com/

Hi Arrow,
    A huge welcome to you.
    Thats a good plan to take this in increments. It somehow seems less daunting doesnt it?
    There is loads of support and info here as you have found.
    Post wherever you feel comfy.
    There is a meds forum where there is lots of info on Topa and other meds.
    Its great you are exercising and looking after yourself, that for me is a crucial part of my recovery.
    I will check out your blog, thanks!
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

The weight loss part is really motivating as its so visible. I started out on this 7 day detox diet. It's nothing severe just common sense really. Anyway because I was so bloated I lost 5KG in a week - obviously mainly water - but still feel great to be so much lighter and visible looking fresher.

Now to fix up my knees and get back on the road.

Comment

:welcome:arrow and :goodjob: so far,post in as much as you can as there are always people on here who have being down the same road,some futher down some behind but the same road,well done again

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hi Arrow! Congratulations on your progress. I like your plan and also your blog! I too found that making a lifestyle change by incorporating exercise and healthier eating habits really helped. Somehow alcohol doesn't fit as nicely into an active and "healthy" focused life as it did in my old "sit around on my butt and do nothing and eat junk food" life.

I always start my day with the AF Daily thread which helps get me off on the right foot. There is a great group of posters there with varying lengths of sobriety that I can always relate to.

You sound like you have a great attitude and that will serve you well!

How did you decide what blogging software to use? I've been thinking for a long time about blogging but haven't gathered up my information, thoughts and nerve to actually do it! I like yours though.

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Ok Arrow, congrats on 11 days. Im on day 3 and dont normally make it much past day 5. last year i went to rehab on 7/17/08 (consequently i started this time on 7/17/09) and stayed sober for 90 days. anyway any advice on staying sober longer. also i saw on your blog that you are detoxing and running as well. i have friend who invited me to do a marathon relay race in december. i just started running a total of a mile (1/4 mile run, 1/4 mile walk, 1/2 mile run, 1/2 mile walk)..im trying to build myself up. any suggestions for the run and detoxing would great as well

Comment

To DG

I do a lot of online publishing at work. The blogging software I would recommend would be Word Press, WordPress.com ? Get a Free Blog Here is free and easy, give me a shout if you need a little help to get started. If you find it difficult to set up I might be able to help out.

To Cacky

The detox diet is very good, there is a link on my blog to it but I will write some more about it there another time.

Its very simple basically:
              - no simple carbohydrates
              - no caffine
              - no salt
              - three meals a day all fresh veg and protein but no meat
              - two small snacks a day (eg nuts and celery)
              - no booze

The no salt bit is amazing, you end up drinking loads of water and passing loads of water. The bloat vanishes.

Thank you Opal
              and Mario

Comment

Working...
              X