sun 4 oct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sun 4 oct

hello there - week 7 and a day for me here - would never had got here without you - so huge thank yous.

had a drinking dream fri and yesterday was out with friends (who were drinking after a meal and we talked about drinking too much,why i'd stopped, why they've cut down etc)
    I felt really deprived and sad that i would never taste wine again!

I know i'm not and my life is so much better - I have never made it this far af - so is this a phase?

I'm going to read my aa book and look at my list of what is better/downsides of alcohol.
    good day to you all.
    one day at a time

sun 4 oct

Hi Bear and well done, I dream about drinking a lot, a friend in AA says it's normal, which is good as I never seem to do anything normal. I also feel a little deprived at times I would love to be able to drink, but I know, I would soon be back to being drunk again. So it's a small price to pay to feel this good.

Comment

sun 4 oct

Great job Bear, and don't worry too much about the dream. I used to have them fairly often and would get upset by them, but they always ended with suffering consequences - never happy & joyous. So, I would used them as a reminder of where I didn't want to go back to, kind of a positive spin on a negative dream, I guess.

Went to a niece's wedding last night and had a momentary scare. Was sitting there enjoying talking to the family, and grabbed my water glass to take a drink. Well, it wasn't my glass and it wasn't water, and my very first thought was 'shit - I just drank alcohol.' A second later I realized it was Sprite only, but it made me realize that I never really thought about how I would react if that situation happened. I'm sure it would bother me, but it wouldn't be intentional or purposeful and I hope that I would treat it as such. Anyway, something for me to think about.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday! Off to volunteer at my cycling team's last race of the year. Can't believe we are already in October!
      Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

sun 4 oct

Good morning Abbers,

bear, paula & AAthelete - I used to have drinking dreams as well but they have stopped. I quit smoking in May and am still having smoking dreams once in a while. Hope they stop soon too! I think these dreams do play a role in keeping us focused on our quits. We shouldn't be afraid of them, simply use them as tools

Wishing everyone a great AF Sunday. I'll be busy putting on a BD party for Mr Lav, I'll be just fine
        Enjoy your day.
        Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

sun 4 oct

i had drinking dreams the first time i tried to quit last year.
          not this time though.
          happy sunday to all. i didin't sleep well but at least i don't feel weird!

i have a cocktail party tonight for work, but i have a plan so i should be fine.
          see... i'm learning!

Comment

sun 4 oct

Some people dream of jail after release, ex soldiers dream of painful battles years after the event. I doubt they want to go back there. If dreams are a kind of psychic debrief then no point being afraid of whats kicking around in our subconscious. We can only use it the best we can.
            I am blessed with love joy and sobriety.

Comment

sun 4 oct

I haven't had a drinking dream in a long time. They can be disturbing. But I had good ones in which I declined a drink, remembering at the last moment I no longer drink. Those are cool dreams.

Slow mo today. Wish I had something in the crock pot. Comfort food.

Well,,, have a good one!
              sigpic
              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

sun 4 oct

I used to have those drinking dreams as well. I would be drunk but, aware I was drunk and would be trying to snap myself out of it. Sort of shake myself sober. Recently I had a dream where I was chugging lemonaid...but, really slamming it down! How refreshing!

Bear, you have inspired me to pick up my "Living Sober" book today which was a reading assignment from my sponsor. I also still have some boxes to unpack that I have been procrastinating.
                Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

sun 4 oct

Ooo, I'd forgotten about the drinking dreams. I remember feeling relieved when I woke up and realised it was only a dream and I hadn't been drinking the night before. Phew!

Greenie - it's vegetable stew here tonight. I love autumn/winter veg.

Lav - have a great party!
                  sigpic
                  AF since December 22nd 2008
                  Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

sun 4 oct

bear, good work! try to think of how bad you feel when you drink and that you are depriving yourself WHEN you drink, not when you do not drink...i don't know a little reverse psychology?!
                    wow, dreams! i took melatonin last night and woke up sobbing after 10 hours of hard sleep. i don't remember the dream, but it must have been a doozy!
                    i don't dream about drink too often, but i do have frequent smoking dreams, which is far out because i quit 12+ years ago!

mmmm, comfort food...good idea...split pea soup or veg stew?

have a great day all you hard working abbers...

peace!!!

Comment

sun 4 oct

......too.....many.....pancakes......

oink....can't move.....thud

Best Buckwheat Pancakes - All Recipes
                      nosce te ipsum
                      (Know Thyself)

Comment

sun 4 oct

Well, well.... Maybe you at least had a healthy veggie soup before those pancakes...

I'm developing a new addiction to the lovely Italian cheese I picked up at the market yesterday. I do have to keep running up and down stairs, though, to get more from the kitchen...

Thanks for the book suggestion, Uni, I've ordered it!

Have a good evening all.

Comment

sun 4 oct

I hava some kick arse soup recipes. Veggie too!
                          sigpic
                          Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

sun 4 oct

JUST CURIOUS , whats your plan , i may need a good one for a party next week/:thanks:Em
                            1967;729084 wrote: i had drinking dreams the first time i tried to quit last year.
                            not this time though.
                            happy sunday to all. i didin't sleep well but at least i don't feel weird!

i have a cocktail party tonight for work, but i have a plan so i should be fine.
                            see... i'm learning!
                            Non Drinker 9/09
                            Non Smoker 6/09
                            Tennis Anyone ?

Comment

sun 4 oct

Pamina what cheese?

hmmmm soup sounds good.

Emmy my 2 cents on the 'plan for party' i something like this:

first: if you don't think your up for it. don't go! there is nothing worth risking your sobriety over.

second: visualize how it's going to be. have a definitive answer for the inevitable 'what can I get you to drink' and this may sound weird but practice saying it out loud before you go.

iced tea please.
                              iced tea please
                              iced tea please

until it sounds completely and utterly comfortable.
                              nosce te ipsum
                              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                              X