good reminders!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good reminders!

Equally important is something we call the "mental game." This is short-hand for the process of changing our thinking and attitudes toward: alcohol, drinking, our emotions, and our behavior. We must learn a whole new approach to problems in life (we don't try to drink them away, any more), and we don't see alcohol as a "reward" for having accomplished something. We learn to tolerate distress, including the urges and impulses and cravings for drink, and we allow them to naturally pass away, without giving in to them. We learn not to engage in battles within our minds about drinking; we step away from that whole process, and choose to think about, and do, something else.

Perhaps most important: we recognize that the work of recovery truly is "work," and it takes time, effort, and sometimes it costs money. Sometimes it is costly in other ways, as well; friendships and other close relationships will be changed, when we change. And that can be painful. Making this kind of change will have an impact on all areas of our lives; that is a very, very good thing; it can also be accompanied by some pain. Again... we must learn to tolerate the discomforts involved in life changes. There will be some emotional upheaval along the way. We might want to seek counseling or psychotherapy; we certainly will benefit from coming here and talking about it.

Making a plan, and following it, is an act of mature recognition of the fact that, for nearly all of us, just wishing and hoping that we will stop drinking (or begin drinking "normally") "on our own" is not going to work. Remember: nobody ever "wished and hoped" their way through any important project. But with persistence, and support from others, following a plan can take us to the places in our lives where we really want to go.

good reminders!

Well said '67!!

Comment

good reminders!

Hi All
      Excellent post 1967. It brings up what I like to tell people who want to recover from al. That it is hard work requiring you to take it as serious as any battle for your life. No I won't wish people good luck at fighting our problem. I will tell them to dig deep and put all their energy into the battle. It will be required. Luck is not a plan.
      Congratulation's on the success you are having.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
      AF 5-16-08
      Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
      AF 5-16-08

Comment

good reminders!

Wow, it is work 1967.
        It's not easy and you're right, no amount of wishing will make this vanish.
        But it FEELS SO GOOD being AF, it is well worth the fight.

Thank you for making your post.
        DLA
        Of all vices, drinking is the most incompatible with greatness
        Sir Walter Scott
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

good reminders!

day 14 is over!

heya all. I found points above in the 'tool box'.
          Which I haven't explored so much. I thought these points were things that I need to particularly remind myself of.
          So, it's almost 9:30 on Saturday and I'm free and clear of vino.
          I seem to be able to cope with the idea that I'm just not gonna drink for the day I am trying to get through. Again, I had temptations on the way home, yes I worked a 10 hr day today. So I was tired, and hungry and annoyed for the same reasons.
          So, whoopie for me.
          Peace to all.

Comment

good reminders!

Good going 1967! One day at a time. With a plan. WE CAN.

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

good reminders!

I doubt today will be complicated to abstain.
              I already went to the gym and supermarket so I'll just keep working and napping.
              This morning was the first time I woke up and thought 'okay, now I'm starting to feel better."
              It has generally taken about two weeks for me to feel a bit normal again.
              And I do really need to congratulate myself as I really haven't drank much since June.
              There was about 10 days the end of July I started to head down the path of old tricks.
              I am thinking perhaps I'm on the natural progression of getting this out of my system!

Comment

Working...
              X