I'm a little afraid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a little afraid.

Hi Sherri. Yes, there are so good points to living on my own with my son. Right now I do walk
    on eggshells, and I think some stress will be relieved once I move. Actually, I'm convinced it will.

So a man called me from AA.
    Told him about my situation and that I was moving and my fear as explained earlier. He told me
    in a flippant way it was time to grow up. Ok, I remember the way they were the first time I called a
    year ago, so I pressed on, trying to not be offended, and realising he was trying to be tough, a no b/s
    approach. Spoke a little longer to him about what was going on, how long I've been AF, and like my friends
    he said it sounded like I wasn't an alcoholic, but if I wasn't careful I would slip into the dark life of one.

That is the point I started crying. Bawling through my life history, my battles with suicidal thoughts
    when I would wake, my shame, and how no one knows how deep this runs in me because I hid it.
    I called AA and I had to convince this man I needed help, and it felt like I had to beg for it.

At the end we agreed I should be talking to a female in my age group, with children, who could
    relate to me. We also agreed that I would go to a meeting tonight. At this point I am waiting to hear
    from her.

DLA :h

OMG, I just heard from the property manager. I GOT THE APARTMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My headache that was brewing is suddenly gone
    Of all vices, drinking is the most incompatible with greatness
    Sir Walter Scott
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I'm a little afraid.

Drylife,

Sounds as though you're making progress! Just keep going, even though the guy on the phone didn't sound helpful.

Re the speaking thing. I've never been to a meeting where anyone was forced/asked/felt obliged to speak. If you don't want to say anything, you don't have to.

It might help to have an informal chat to a few people when you get there or after the meeting so you feel a bit more involved without having to speak in front of the group at first. Or not. Do whatever feels right for you.
      sigpic
      AF since December 22nd 2008
      Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

I'm a little afraid.

DLA, I'm so happy you got the apartment and the headache that was brewing is gone. Please don't let that man put you off of AA. I went to a few meetings this past summer. The first one I ever walked into, the people were absolutely wonderful. They were caring, supportive, and non-judgemental even though I walked into the meeting with a hangover. I went to another one a few days later closer to where I lived and I hated it. A woman with many years of sobriety came up to me after the meeting and started questioning me in a very condescending manner. This put me off of AA for a while but I guess what it really shows is that just because someone gets sober doesn't mean they weren't a jerk to begin with. In AA, as in all of life you will have to deal with some a_ _ holes. Take care, DLA.
        Oh and thank you for the kudos for my 4 days AF. I am loving it.

Cuckoo

Comment

Working...
        X