I Am Thankful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Am Thankful

Two years ago today at around this very time, I was starting to prepare for Thanksgiving Dinner. My mother-in-law was in from out of town and my children were playing with my husband in the family room.

I could not wait to get into the kitchen to start cooking.....and drinking. I had the turkey on the kitchen counter to prepare and all of the fixings. Hidden right behind the coffee maker was a big glass of chardonnay that I quickly drained and refilled again throughout the day.

I still remember how horrible I felt. I was overweight and bloated, I had no energy and I was anxious and depressed. I was on anti anxiety meds and anti depressants. I was a mess.

By the time we sat down for Thanksgiving dinner, my husband tells me that I could barely put two words together. I don't remember the dinner. I don't remember my three beautiful girls. I imagine them chatting excitedly with their grandmother and picking their way through the turkey dinner so they could have pumpkin pie. I went to bed right after dinner because I could no longer hold my head up. My husband told me that my mother-in-law asked "How long has this been going on?" The person who appeared to the outside world to "have it all together" had crossed the line.

Fast forward to today. I am preparing dinner again but there is no wine hidden behind the coffee maker. We have five guests coming and I am excited about their arrival. I am thankful to be free of alchol and to have my life and family back. I do not ever want to miss one minute of my life, my beautiful, sweet and tender girls, the smells of the day, the morning fog that is lingering. Life is too precious.

Thanks to all at MWO. Happy Thanksgiving
    M3
    AF Since April 20, 2008
    4 Years!!!
    :lilheart:

I Am Thankful

Wow good on you and very well done momof3 that is trully heart warming. Happy Thanksgiving

Comment

I Am Thankful

Thats a wonderful story Momof3.
      Have a beautiful day today.
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

I Am Thankful

M3, thank you for sharing that, and congratulations on reclaiming your life. Your story hit home for me as it describes almost to a T many family Christmas dinners that I prepared at my house. From the hiding of the wine to the low level of coherence when everyone else was enjoying the meal to the early departure.

I'm glad I don't have to live like that any more.

Have a wonderful holiday dinner M3!

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I Am Thankful

Thanks and happy TG to all of you as well.
          AF Since April 20, 2008
          4 Years!!!

Comment

I Am Thankful

A bottle of white zin used to be an integral part of me fixing Thanksgiving dinner too. I didn't even hide it, it was on the shopping list --and I started the turkey at 4:30 in the morning. Happy Thanksgiving to you!
            Kelly

Comment

I Am Thankful

Thats great momof3 ,what a great turn around, delighted for you & your family.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

I Am Thankful

Yes Urban, I can relate. I loved the holiday for that reason. Endless time in the kitchen and endless amounts of booze.

Mario, All the best to you in Ireland. I want to visit your beautiful country some day. I am from a very Irish family.

M3
                AF Since April 20, 2008
                4 Years!!!

Comment

I Am Thankful

really where abouts if you dont mind me asking

Comment

I Am Thankful

I'm mostly Norwegian, but my grandmother's name was Wilma Fern Shannon. Can't get a lot more Irish than that. I've never been able to trace her roots.
                    Kelly

Comment

I Am Thankful

wow ubanfool,another irish one here.,where do you live

Comment

I Am Thankful

My dad grew up here in South Boston...a very ethnic Irish neighborhood where many Irish emigrated years ago. His family lived in the County Cork area. My niece just finished a stint at the Ballymaloe Cooking School in Shanagarry. She visted an Aunt and Uncle while there. I also have a cousin who was quite a well known Steeple Chase jockey in Ireland in his time. He is now living a much quieter life here in the U.S. Broke about every bone in his body as a jockey. He quit the drink a few years ago. We Irish do love our drink. My dad was an alcoholic but quit on his own and was over 20 years sober when he died.
                        AF Since April 20, 2008
                        4 Years!!!

Comment

I Am Thankful

Northern California here, about 4 hours north of San Fran.

I guess I can blame all this on my grandmother then ? :-D
                          Kelly

Comment

I Am Thankful

Lovely story Momof3, delighted for you.
                            What is it with us Irish and the drink?, must be in the genes as well as the culture.
                            Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

I Am Thankful

Reading this thread made me cry as this site often does. But in a good way, release, tears of hope. So many times I have not remembered dinners with family and stuff we spoke about. I know how much concern they all went through, dealing with that is the most painful aspect of my recovery but a driving force at the same time.
                              I am blessed with love joy and sobriety.

Comment

Working...
                              X