Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF daily - Saturday January 23rd

Hello abber dabbers,

I was reading a news story this morning about the ongoing row about the price of cheap booze in this country, and there was a picture of some of the cheap offers available. And I had to stop and think about what my favourite offers were when I was drinking. I finally remembered, but it seems so far away now, almost something from a different life. I'm not being complacent, but drinking in the way I did seems so alien to me now. (And yet I know I'd be right back there in a heartbeat if I thought I was OK to have "a drink").

LVT- I hope things are moving forward for your sister. Remember to take care of yourself through all this too.

DG - there was a piece on the news this morning about a Russian pair of ice-skaters who've caused a row by dressing up as Aborigines. Is that the contest you're watching? Sounds hilarious!

I'm at work. One more week to go, and two weeks off. Tra-la-la-la.

Have a sober day everyone.
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

hi Marshy

It is unbelievavle how cheap booze is now in the UK... my poison was wine and you can get 3 half decent bottles in the supermarket for a tenner...

I love to hear you say how far away your thinking is from it now and i hang on to these words of encouragement dreaming of when it will be my reality too.

Im only on 3 weeks but doing really well and wanted to ask if this is normal "i am finding when im out with drinkers, the smell of alcohol is now repulsive to me, my favorite white wine almost makes my gag! Whilst this is a wonderful reaction to have im wondering if anyone can tell me if this it usual?"
    "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
    AF - JAN 1st 2010
    NF - May 1996

Comment

Hello abland!

Morning Marshy, you sound on good form. Great that cheap booze no longer tempts you, but they should get it sorted, there are still way too many offers out there. What's in the cards for your two weeks off - sunnier climes, perhaps?

LVT - strength to you, am thinking of you. My dad had diverticulitis and always had to be careful with his diet. He didn't have bad episodes with it, but it's not to be toyed with. Hope your sister gets the help she needs. Keep us posted, OK.

I too saw the Aboriginal costumes in yesterday's paper, and the major row that's brewing as a result. What an exciting sport, DG!

I have to go into work today but luckily not til after lunch. In fact I'm happy to go, it gives me a break from this flatmate hunting that's starting to get on my nerves. The serenity prayer has come to mind. I can only do my bit, not control other people's decisions.

Have a good weekend everybody.

Comment

chillgirl;794767 wrote: the smell of alcohol is now repulsive to me
        I remember standing quite close to my dad when he was drinking a cheap red (my parents are more the FOUR bottles for a tenner type :H), and thinking it smelled really strongly of vinegar, and taking a step back. Yuk. (Although I would have chugged it down quite happily once). Congrats on the three weeks!

Pamina - have fun at work - take heart in the knowledge that we're keeping the economy going! Gonna enjoy the delights of the greatest city in the world in my time off
        sigpic

Comment

Good morning Abbers!

Thanks for the start up Marshy! A two week break from work sounds delightful even if you don't go anywhere I've been reading articles that a neighboring state (Maryland) is considering imposing a special tax on AL & using the money to fund Mental Health care & education!! That would be an amazing feat if it happens!

Chill, congrats on your 3 weeks AF! And yes, I'm turned off by the smell of any AL now & cig. smoke too since my quits! Never thought I'd see that happen

Pam, I'm thinking about relocating........you have a room for rent? Can I bring my 2 dogs & 16 hens????? Just kidding......but a change of scenery would be nice!

Greetings to everyone who stops in today. Hope DG is enjoying the ice skating!
          Have a great day!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Morning abberoooos!

Marshy, early bird! I shudder when I think of cheap booze. I had some grain alcohol once to use a tiny bit to make an herbal concoction and damn if I didn't drink the rest of it. It curdled the orange juice. uch:

LVT, prayers, big hugs and support for you, your sister & family.

Chill, well done on 3 weeks!

Marshy & Pamina I don't think I'm working today- sometimes it's hard to tell. The hole didn't work out yesterday. I worked from home again. I did move out a box of FH's files and impt. papers. I'm going to move some furniture today. And hallelujah (that's a tough word to spell) he isn't complaining. Or helping. :H

Tonight is that party I talked about. It's a cold gray day and might rain tonight. I'm sticking with the go later with a deserty thing plan.

MA remains in my heart and thoughts. I have a picture she drew of little doggie that is very special.

Have a good strong AF day!
            sigpic
            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Good Morning All!
              It is a cold, but sunny day today! I have tons to do this weekend and then I fly out early on Monday for meetings in Minniapolis.

It sounds like everyone has a lot going on! Marshy.....I am green with envie about you having 2 weeks off!!! Enjoy the heck out of it!!

Zoom! Zoom! Greenie....you have come such a long way since "Your day in the hole"....your stories always make me smile!

DG....do you wear skates with guards on everywhere??? How about a sparkly leotard!!!

Yes, MA remains in all of our thoughts......the best thing we can do is to live our lives to the fullest and continue lighting candles!

Have a great day all.....and Stay Strong!
              A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

oooooh roooooo ABeroooos!

so glad to be home! weeeeeee.

it's quite snowy here in south Reno, half foot on the ground which is so pretty in the morning sunshine.

regarding the smell of AL I've noticed that only good red wine still gives me trouble. The smell of anything else is icky but I can smell a '97 Cab from 12 feet away. arg! mind you I don't hang around with many wine drinkers these days as most of my social activities are around healthy non-drinking folks at the shooting range or the martial arts club.

unpacking and getting ready for the gym.....

be well
                nosce te ipsum
                (Know Thyself)

Comment

Good Afternoon All,

I never realized how powerful the smell of wine was until I quit drinking (kind of like the smell of cigarette smoke once you quit smoking). I wonder what it was like for my girls to smell it on my breath for so many years when I kissed them goodnight. Smells bring up such powerful memories.

M3
                  AF Since April 20, 2008
                  4 Years!!!
                  :lilheart:

Comment

Hello all, and Marshy thanks for kicking things off in Ab Land today. Have fun on your vacation at home!! (I would - especially if your town was my home!)

LVT - Strong Vibes going out to you. I hope your sister is holding on. I'm wondering if she (and you?) are at Mayo now....

Marshy;794756 wrote:

DG - there was a piece on the news this morning about a Russian pair of ice-skaters who've caused a row by dressing up as Aborigines. Is that the contest you're watching? Sounds hilarious!

Wow - their costumes / dance really ARE making world wide headlines! :H This is not only a Russian dance team, but one of the strong favorites for gold, much to everyone's dismay who thinks they are not quite up to snuff this year. The "dance" they did was pretty tasteless and they said something about "being inspired by seeing some video on the internet..." Not exactly a good way to avoid cultural faux pas with a "folk dance" from a completely different culture than your own. On the other hand, what exactly do people expect from grown adults covered in :bling:?

Yikes on the cheap booze. I don't know the latest but in my state some years ago certain types of offers typical in bars at happy hour were banned - two for ones and the like. By then I was mainly getting sloshed at home so didn't pay too close attention.

Chill - congrats on your 3 weeks! That's an awesome start. I don't like the smell of AL now. And I really don't care to be in drinking situations where drinking is a primary activity. (i.e. a bar) I don't mind it any more so long as there is something else that is "primary."

greeneyes;794844 wrote: I had some grain alcohol once to use a tiny bit to make an herbal concoction and damn if I didn't drink the rest of it.
                    That must have been some concoction! In college we used it to make what was generally referred to as Woppadoo Punch. Oy. That was some scary stuff.

KateH1;794906 wrote:
                    DG....do you wear skates with guards on everywhere??? How about a sparkly leotard!!!
                    I've never been a skater - just a fan. I do have a fondness for sparkles though. Just not on a leotard! :H Travel safely Kate and have good business.

Pamina, I hope you get your flat mate situation sorted out soon. The process of interviewing people and making a decision sounds daunting!!

Lav taxes are going up on all "sins" in our state too. Not that I like to see drinking (or smoking, or whatever) encouraged, but I don't like the way the politicians are able to just target things to tax the snot out of. I think it unfairly affects particular groups of people and in the case of AL and tobacco, there are a lot of poor people that are sadly, very adversely affected. Don't know what the right answers are.

M3 - I often thought I "hid" whatever was on my breath well, and I'm quite sure my efforts fell short of being "effective." Insanity for sure.

Deter - I suppose it's a blessing I always went for quantity over quality in the wine department! That's probably why the smell of any wine - even a good one holds nothing for me now.

I keep thinking about MA and how that could be any one of us. I talked about it at AA today and couldn't help crying. More people are praying for MA now. And I guess the sobering reality is that if I am to be a vital part of recovery programs for the long haul, I will surely know people who go through crisis like this. And probably some who don't make it. That is the sad reality of what we are dealing with.

Anyway, I am offsetting these heavier thoughts with :bling: today. US Nationals Free Dance and Ladies Free Skate are today. Big upset possible in Dance and Old Broad Comeback going on in Ladies. Light entertainment is good today.

Strength and hope to all who need some today!

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Doggygirl;795082 wrote:
                      I keep thinking about MA and how that could be any one of us. I talked about it at AA today and couldn't help crying.
                      It's had a big effect on a lot of people, hasn't it? I don't even "know" her particularly but couldn't sleep that first night for thinking about her. People who know her well must have been knocked sideways. Better news overnight though on the update thread!
                      sigpic

Comment

Marshy;795365 wrote: It's had a big effect on a lot of people, hasn't it? I don't even "know" her particularly but couldn't sleep that first night for thinking about her. People who know her well must have been knocked sideways. Better news overnight though on the update thread!
                        Yes - I really feel for what her close loved ones must have / be going through. I was so glad to read the positive news.

For whatever reason, this brought to mind two really dangerous drinking situation for me that involved water. One while sailing in the Gulf of Mexico and one during a weekend trip to Paradise Island back when I lived in Florida. Drunk as a skunk and ended up in drift / undertow situations where I very easily could have drowned. I thought of my family being told "well, we're not sure what happened but her blood alcohol level was XXXXXX (through the roof)."

I'm so grateful to be sober I can't even describe it.

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                        X