Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily - Wednesday February 17

Good morning everyone!

I'm really glad the subject of giving something up for Lent came up yesterday as I REALLY REALLY need to get off this sugar kick I've been on. I really believe the "biology" with sugar has to be similar to AL for me because I'm never satisfied with just a little bit of sugar. One oreo is not enough. I want the whole bag. If I try to eat one cookie, all I do is think about all those other cookies. If I overeat the cookies, then I feel like crap, gain weight, blah blah blah. A viscous cycle I am way too familiar with. Once I go without for awhile I stop thinking about it. So today is SF (sugar free) Day 1 for me!

I also like our new word nonversation. I had plenty of those back in the day.

I was looking at the Daily Readings today and really liked this one about emotional sobriety:

As Bill Sees It

Live Serenely, p. 48

When a drunk has a terrific hangover because he drank heavily
    yesterday, he cannot live well today. But there is another kind of
    hangover which we all experience whether we are drinking or not. That
    is the emotional hangover, the direct result of yesterday's and sometimes
    today's excesses of negative emotion--anger, fear, jealousy, and the like.

If we would live serenely today and tomorrow, we certainly need to
    eliminate these hangovers. This doesn't mean we need to wander
    morbidly around in the past. It requires an admission and correction of
    errors--now.
    I'm really glad to be learning to be at peace with myself rather than constantly running around in some sort of turmoil like I did in the old days. Even after I quit drinking, I still let those negative emotions run way too much of my life. At the drop of a hat I would be reacting to the world around me (things I can't control anyway) with all these negative emotions. I'm glad to be more aware of this today, and how it affects my peace of mind. My days are so much nicer when I manage NOT to be run by my own anger, fear, etc. The serenity prayer is my friend.

Happy Wednesday - let's make it an AF one!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Just yesterday, before I was pressganged into giving up sugar, I bought some breakfat cereal. Never eat cereal, usually have toast, but fancied some yesterday. So, I might have to agree to not BUYING anything with sugar in but being allowed to finish my stash.

My boss offered me a promotion this morning which seems to involve longer hours, more responsibility (and therefore more stress, which has not served me well in the past and which I'm trying to keep to a minimum as much as possible - big trigger for me) but on the same pay scale. Er, what?
    I think a bit of negotiation is in order :H

Have a good day all!
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Marshy;807479 wrote: Just yesterday, before I was pressganged into giving up sugar, I bought some breakfat cereal. Never eat cereal, usually have toast, but fancied some yesterday. So, I might have to agree to not BUYING anything with sugar in but being allowed to finish my stash.
      Pressganged. Can that be our word for today? We could have a nonversation about it. :H Does this make me a pressganger? And what's the matter with you? As a good alkie you should have just crammed down all your stash last night!

More work for the same pay??? Let us know how the negotiations go!! I'm guessing your boss doesn't have a chance here...

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Morning abbers!!

Day one sugarless here. I'm the same way with sugar DG. Typical of my addictive self. The only time I could have ONE cookie was at the bank and that was only because of the audience. :H Do we know how long lent is? 40 days? Till Easter? Lav, LVT.... do I see an offer on the table? Marshy I have no sympathy. I'm in someone elses house loaded with chocolate. How's that for a pressgangish remark? :H

More work for same pay.... what an offer!

All too familiar with emotional hangovers, but being AF sure eliminates the majority I think.

Going for letterboxes at the ecological preserve (spooky woods) today. I'll take little doggie. I have a lunch place (a resto, not a picnic place) picked out so I'm going to try to do a couple before lunch. Brrrrr...

Have a wonderful wednesday!
        sigpic
        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Doggygirl;807481 wrote: As a good alkie you should have just crammed down all your stash last night!
          I'm out of practice! (Got a bit of cake left too).

Greenie - spooky woods call for BIG doggies with BIG teeth. Don't you watch the movies? :H
          sigpic
          AF since December 22nd 2008
          Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Good morning Abbers,

The sun is out today - YAY!
            Hoping for some serious melting of the 45 or so inches of snow in my yard! Sick, sick, sick of it!

OK, here's the deal! I will give up eating crappy chocolate & other sugary foods for the next 40 days BUT if I happen to find myself pulling into Neuchatel then all bets are off
            Gourmet Swiss Chocolate and Chocolate Confections | Neuchatel Chocolates

Greenie, I'm clueless - what is letterboxing? Be careful in the woods - lions, tigers & bears oh my!

How's that arm today DG?

Have a great Humpday everyone

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Some of my friends are giving up internet/facebook for lent. Now that would be hard for me.
              Ill let you know what I decide greenie but I'm going to postpone until after Vegas. I hope God understands. Yes 40 days.
              Vegas sober is very different but it is nice to be unhung.
              More details when I get home if I'm still on line!
              The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Hi Lav and LVT!

Lav - you are so funny about giving up only the CRAPPY chocolate! :H Thank you for asking. The arm is feeling a lot better - probably because I really have been resting it - not lifting much of anything heavier than a coffee cup. I can sure feel it when I twist my arm though. I'm seeing an osteopath Friday and am trying to just stay patient and not worry about how long the healing will take and when I can get back to weight training and all of that. Zen....... I hope your snow melts off some today!

LVT - I have a hard time imagining being sober in Vegas. I hope you are enjoying it though! It seems like so many times it's just a matter of getting in there and DOING it sober to re-train the brain. I know Vegas has changed a LOT since I was there last so I hope you will tell us about your adventures!

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi guys,

Late checking in and hoping I can hop on this thread as my ODAT thread seems that have fizzled finally (after 2 years!) I'm bummed but will still start it when I can. I'm usually not on until at night now as I leave earlier for work and can't get on.

Lent........hmmmm. not sure what I am giving up. I am not a big sugar person anyway - no choclate, chips or cookies in my house. Hmmm -- maybe potato chips, that's my one big weakness. And skittles. Funny though, I never really needed skittles unless I was hungover - need the sugar fix then! Now that I'm not - .........The one thing I know I am not giving up is coffee!!!
                  Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
                  :h

Comment

Hi Uni! I hope you will hang with us here! I don't know why these daily threads come to an end sometimes. For me the Booze Busters thread was my daily check point for a long time but that one came to it's life end too. Let's enjoy AF Daily for however long it's little life is meant to be!

Maybe you could give up something like laundry for lent? It seems Greenie is going to give up celibacy in addition to sugar. I can't wait to hear more about how that goes, old married lady living vicariously through others and all of that.

Hope you are having a good day. I'm trying to remember where you are in Canada. Are you affected by the Olympics?

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Nice new picture doggy, I'm sure your real figure is more shapely.
                      No coffee for lent is good I think the headache is passing.
                      So cool to hear nearly everyone is being strong most of the time.
                      Delighted in particular to hear of greenie's giving up celibacy. Vivacious beats vicarious I reckon.
                      My mum is coming to visit sunday. She only gets over occasionally and has only been a couple of times since AF 3 and a half months ago. Its obvious she doesn't quite trust/believe it yet. I don't blame her.
                      I am blessed with love joy and sobriety.

Comment

Working...
                      X