Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekly AA Thread - Week of Feb. 22 - 28

Hi, everyone -

Glad you dropped in Kate! I'm always interested in what the successfully sober are doing to first, get that way, and second, stay that way. I was at a speaker meeting last week and this guy I'd seen before who is a real character and as well as great speaker said that even in AA follow those that are successful. Use their example, find out what they do, do what they do. That is true at MWO as well, and what I was doing before AA (it just made sense to me). So I'm always looking for any similarities anywhere, whether in AA, people who are not in the program but have a happy contented sobriety, and see what it is each is doing. I always want to be open to what works and be flexible if need be.

One thing I hear a lot in AA is how it is a process. That is one valuable lesson we get from the old timers. Being able to see them and hear their stories, as well as the hope I always get from them is priceless. Many refer to going back and redoing the steps at different points and how it is different at say 5 years versus 1 year. And that onion analogy is a common one, but such a great description. It keeps on being relevant.

I do love just listening at meetings though. Many times you will hear a great pearl of wisdom, sometimes from the mouth of someone who's not the most articulate person in the room. Sometimes from a very new person. I haven't been there all that long, but I get a kick out of seeing a new person come in, keep showing up, sometimes very fearful, and gradually seeing them open up, first maybe reading a paragraph in the BB, and eventually talking when they come to them. But what's best is seeing that positive change happening in their life. Just like here at MWO, except in 3-D.

I do enjoy everyone's posts here and look forward to them every day. There's so much good stuff here my mind is usually boggled at where to jump off at. This is such a wonderful thread - and it's what got me looking at AA! So thanks everybody! Have a great day! :h

I already finished this and saw DG posted. Yes, prayer is new for me too. If I'm really in a corner, I've found pull out the serenity prayer - it is so simple I can remember it, and it covers about anything in life - plus it works. I think it works even if you think of it as just plain old good advice, rather than a prayer (say for someone who may have issues with "prayers" or "God"). But I have been seeing a whole new perspective on the prayer and HP aspect, and it wasn't that I was 100% lacking before. It allows a real deepening of understanding I never knew was there - and I feel comfortable allowing it come to in as small of increments as I can handle - there is nothing force fed about it.
    ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Hi Dance! I too have found that with prayer and HP issues, I had to "stop fighting" (just like with AL!) and just let things flow. Flow and grow.

I love what you said about seeing growth. There is an older man who has been coming to meetings for about 6 months now. He was sober 10 years on his own (no AA or any other program) and then drank with disasterous results. He is so quiet and shy. He strikes me as a gentle soul. I have wondered before what he was like when drunk because I just can't imagine him drunk. It was a long time before he spoke at all. But lately he has opened up some and it's just been beautiful to hear what he has to say.

He mentioned yesterday that he likes the early Sunday meeting that I go to, but that he doesn't have his license right now. (consequences!) He doesn't live very far from me so I offered to pick him up and take him home. It was really nice to talk to this quiet and gentle man (when sober anyway!) and hear a bit more of his story while riding back and forth. It was so sweet - on the way back home he told me that he discussed me giving him a ride with his wife yesterday to make sure she would be OK with him riding with a woman. I thought that was incredibly respectful. I love the little things this program teaches us.

The "old me" would have probably said something like HEY! You have a right to ride with whoever you WANT! She aught to be glad SHE doesn't have to take you and that you are making an effort to stay sober!!! But that's the "old me."

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

DG - That is so cool! I understand exactly the how I or somebody else might have (would have!) reacted in the past! It is so very freeing to feel that way less and less (that serenity prayer pulled out whenever..... ). It also amazes me when these sweet old grandfather types talk about how they were not nice drunks. It is wonderful to know redemption can and does take place. There's one old guy like that, and his wife goes to Al-Anon meetings next door, then comes back in for him. I can see the love they have, and you can bet it wasn't always like that. :h
        ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

I'm going to read the last few posts over again, but first I just have to say: "Yes, this thread is a little like a meeting." I like to see what everyone gets out of the meetings he/she attends. Fear: I know how much it drove my life & my drinking. Today, my husb & I took a huge risk & went cross-country skiing w/another couple. The husb is someone I met in AA, & the wife is not an AL...the reverse of my husb's & my situation. They are our age (60's) but are in supreme physical condition. Anyhow, I was afraid to go w/them, but we bit the bullet & did it. We did our best & had a great time. If we hadn't gone & just hung around the house, I know I would have been mad at myself for missing the opportunity for growth.

Yes, waiting & trusting that HP will reveal an answer to a dilemma isn't easy for me either, as I'm a control freak. But, I'm getting accustomed to doing it, & everything just seems to work out for the best. I think that one of the reasons for my excessive drinking was just not wanting the unexpected to happen. But, that's life. Maybe, that's why "accepting life on life's terms" is such an important concept in AA.

Mary
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
          X