Weekly AA Thread April 19-25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:wow: I cant believe im opening AA thread this week. Well i keep on reminding what that guy said at one of the AA meetings i went to..... Having Fear is having Couragerage

Today i went to one of my follow up meetings, anyway this guy give me books that he had from AA. one was the 12steps, NA and A book of daily meditations (for men.)
    I though it was really nice of him, when i got home and open the books i felt really sad because it had best wishes on there from his friends from rehab going back 2002. He said that he was in rehab in Bournemouth uk and there was lots of famous people there and when they share they had to speak on the mircrophone because there was 200hundred people there, now that would give me the shits.
    Been reading the big book and Bill W story love the bit about the boomerang. ( out of this alloy of drink and speculation I commenced to forge the weapon that one day would turn in its flight like a boomerrang and all but cut me to ribbons.)

Went to my AA meeting on saturday i always have a little laugh there, without fail. one of the woman said well done to me for sharing on monday night, because she said she always feels scared to share there. If i can relate to something little i do share we are all different but with a drinking problem.
    Anyway going to another meeting tonight, and share with you more another day have to go sorry, but if anyone reading please feel free to join in if you can relate in anyway or form we dont bit at all, we only share.

L:hve 2u ALL .x
    Formerly known as Teardrop:l
    sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
    my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Hi Catch and thanks for getting us started this week! I like Fear = Couragerage. I also like the part of Bill W's story you quoted. AL is a boomerang for sure. At first I thought AL was giving me courage and social skills and comfort and stress relief and all of that. But then AL cut me to shreds too.

Sharing at meetings can be scary but I love when everyone shares anyway. We never really know when what we are thinking might really hit home and help someone else. Sometimes it can be the oddest little thing that makes a real difference for me. I always try to be grateful when people talk becuse if nobody shared, there could be no meetings and no recovery around the table.

You'll have to let us know what's in the Man Readings. :H Then we'll know all Phil's secrets and stuff.

You are my AA meeting today so I hope everyone shares!!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Everyone: We're having real issues w/our computer, so that might be an impediment to my getting on line. I'm leading the discussion meeting next Sat. night, & I've been thinking about a topic that might really help some of the relapsers in our group. One of them spoke very movingly on Sat. night. I was thinking about willingness. I didn't get sober until I became willing to do ANYTHING I could to get sober. I was willing:
      -to do whatever my sponsor told me to do, including prayer (on my knees) each & every day.
      -admit I am an alcoholic & cannot drink safely, ever.
      -take suggestions.

I have a meeting now. I'll be back when I can.

Mary
      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
      October 3, 2012

Comment

I'm guilty of barely sharing. I listen and take it all in and learn from others. I still feel self conscious and worry that what I might say won't make sense or be meaningful for anyone. Or when I start feeling I might have something to add, someone else comes out with a similar idea or statement.
        Enjoyed the reading today about brotherhood in the rooms. It is true we are all so different, but yet have many things in common when it comes to our alcoholism. We truly understand what goes on in each others minds. It is a great support to know we are not alone and there definitely is strength in numbers.

Winefree

Comment

Hi everyone! WF, I'm so glad you mentioned yesterdays reading about Brotherhood. I realized that I didn't read the readings yesterday and I'm really glad you said something!! That *is* a really good reading. I especially like the part about
          It is a new and exciting feeling for me to care for someone; to care what they are feeling, hoping for, praying for; ...........to want to share those feelings so someone can have relief.
          When I was drinking I didn't care about anyone but me, really. Life was a HUGE pity party with me at the center of it - a tragic figure. [where is the puking smilie!] I really AM grateful to be part of a group both face to face and here where we can relate to one another and understand what it's like. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Things that people who have never been addicted just can't really understand.

I was really grateful to go to the meeting this morning. I'm having a very busy week. It's all good. Nothing bad is going on in my life. But the busy-ness has me feeling a little stressed, so there I go...off into pity party land. There was a strong message during the discussion at the meeting today about GRATITUDE. I realize that taking time to reflect on what I'm grateful for is The Great Re-set Button for me on some level. Gratitude is a frame of mind that centers me and helps me "keep it real." I'm still feeling a bit stressed but I'm not having a pity party over it. For that I am grateful!! I like peace of mind and in the "center" I can find it.

I hope everyone is having a great day. Mary, I hope the computer problems get resolved soon! You will do fabulous on Saturday. I wish I could be there!

Hello to all.

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Good evening. Hope everyone is doing well today. No meetings for me on Tuesday. Today is a gym day for me. Will still be AL free and take it ODAT. Much more peace in my life with AL gone. Less anxiety too. Things that used to irritate me in the past and make me tense I don't react to in the same way as before. I just take a deep breath and let it roll off my shoulders. Can't take the risk of getting angry and aggravated.
            God grants me the serenity and I am oh so grateful.

Winefree

Comment

Hiya everyone,

Love reading through all your post.
              Mary.... wish i could be there on saturday to listen to you talk about willingness.
              This guy on monday did a chair on responsible. He was 20year sober come from where i grow up the EastEnd, i was amaze when he said he had a craving when he hit the 14yrs. Got the shakes and everything, made my heart beat so fast just hearing about it. AL will always seem to creep up on us after so many years ! I wanted to say well done getting through that craving but too many people, Winefree were so quick, But no one did mention about that, . It funny even if we share and it just that one little thing that means a lot to you, it always good to share. If you can be quick enough.
              DG, i feel so grateful for being part of AA, I know i need to work on Gratitude.

I wanted to post more on my bill of Right
              for anyone that is a new comer to AA. so i be back soon ! :l
              sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
              my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

TO ANY NEW COMERS.....

that attend AA meetings for the first time or second or third and so on....

MY BILL OF RIGHTS

I HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE TREATED WITH RESPECT.

I HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY NO AND NOT FEEL GUILTY.

I HAVE THE RIGHT TO EXPERIENCE AND EXPRESS MY FEELINGS.

I HAVE THE RIGHT TO TAKE TIME FOR MYSELF.

I HAVE THE RIGHT TO CHANGE MY MIND.

I HAVE THE RIGHT TO ASK FOR WHAT I WANT

I HAVE THE RIGHT TO ASK FOR INFORMATION.

I HAVE THE TIGHT TO MAKE MISTAKES.

I HAVE THE RIGHT TO DO LESS THAN I AM HUMANLY CAPABLE OF.

I HAVE THE RIGHT TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT MYSELF.

I HAVE THE RIGHT TO ACT ONLY IN THE WAYS THAT PROMOTE MY
                DIGNITY AND SELF-RESPECT AS LONG AS OTHERS ARE NOT VIOLATED
                IN THE PROCESS.

Find this in the folder that this guy give me so i though i share it with anyone that wants to read it.
                Just like to ask a question how many times have you read the big book ?

Have lovely day ALL.x

Comment

Hello everyone! Catch, I love your Bill of Rights. Do I understand correctly that your group gave that to you when you were a newcomer? If so I think that's an excellent idea. It felt pretty overwhelming at first to be a stranger to ..... EVERYTHING in those first meetings!

WF, I feel like I've been hanging onto my serenity by a bare thread the last week or so and I don't like that feeling! I'm trying to get back to my usual self. I love just feeling peaceful while the world rolls off my back.

I had a bit of a revelation (for me) at the meeting this morning. We talked about todays Daily Reflections reading which talked about fear, and how fear blocks us from so many good things - spirituality, peace of mind, etc. A light bulb turned on for me that what I always call "stress" is really rooted in "fear." I have a lot going on. I'm afraid I will forget something important. I'm afraid I won't get it all done on time. I'm afraid what I do won't meet everyone's approval. I'm afraid I will try hard but fail anyway. I'm afraid I will organize this open house for Saturday and nobody will show up. (are we getting to the heart of my "stress" yet????? )

And yes indeed - this fear based stress blocks me from all that is good. No wonder I used to drink over this crap.

Anyway...it was good to realize that when I start saying to myself that I am "stressed out" that I need to dig deeper as there are probably some fears underlying things. That fear means I am trying to control outcomes that are beyond my control, and trying to be perfect, and letting my ego get the better of me, etc. etc.

The serenity prayer is my friend today. I am so grateful that I can go to "sober school" and be stimulated to really reflect and learn to live a more contented sober life. I am grateful to be sober today.

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Everyone: I'm back on line, & it looks like our computer is somewhat healed for now. I know we're going to need to get a new one sometime soon, but for now we're OK.

I too struggle w/whether or not to share at meetings...WF: I understand your reservations. However, I began to look at my fears about sharing as my own way of giving in to self-centered fear. So, now I really try to say something & not worry about how I sound or how people will take what I say.

Mary
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi DG: We're here at the same time. Mary
                      October 3, 2012

Comment

Hey Mary, that sounds good about the self centered fear. Will try to speak up tomorrow night and see how it feels. It's an all women meeting so I should feel more comfortable there. It's a step meeting. I think we will be on Step 5. I'll keep what you said in mind and see if I can get the strength.

It's odd to see some of the AA's that came in about the same time as me starting to have their year anniv. I can hardly believe that will be me in a little over a week. A year ago when I entered the rooms, I never thought it possible.
                        What a difference a year has made!

Winefree

Comment

Hi, I'm Cindi and I am a drunk.

I'll just listen for now...

Love,
                          Cindi
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hi Everyone...

Cinders.... I love you, whats that saying they say at AA ......Keep coming back.:l

DG... Bill of rights was given to me by the guy that give me all his AA books and a folder with some sheets of page in it also had THE FEELING WHEEL.... which will be very helpful for me when i do start my steps and I AM YOUR DISEASE, which i will share with you 2morrow, im sure i have read it somewhere on mwo site but will share it again if no one read it.
                            winefree...it funny how we think it not possible, i cant believe i have done over 3months, but this time round, i have change things and did it a bit different, i know a guy at my group sessions who was really bad and his doing really well now.
                            Mary..... i feel like that if people they dont like the sound of my voice when am nervous or what am saying they have to take me for what I AM, because it my turn to talk.

Going to share this with you someone text this to me awhile back from AA.

I dreamt i met my higher power and i listened while he talked He reminded me of the difficult path thru life that i had walked.
                            We laughed and cried together as the memories tumbled by, and just as heartache turned to anger i asked the question.. Why???
                            Why didin't you protect me when my body was abused?
                            Why couldn't you have stopped me when i picked up and i used?
                            That was your path in life He said, the way it had to be, it made you strong and brave and wise and it led you back to me.
                            My periouse child i love you and i never left your side, i was your heartbeat:h and your breath on the times you nearly died.
                            I dreamt i met my higher power and he listened while i spoke and i told him of my gratitude that my spirit had awoke.
                            God bless you always.x
                            :h

Comment

Hi cindi, I'm a drunk too, just sober today.
                              Many of you know I have been dealing with EOL issues for my mother in Kansas. Tuesday I met with hospice and got the news that we are near the end. I left the care center to go tell my oldest brother the news. He has been working on mom's house so we can sell it. He was well into several beers of his daily routine. I opened the refrigerator, saw the beer, grabbed a can of budweiser and held it for about 30 seconds. I returned it the fridge, set down with my brother and shared the hospice news with him. I knew I needed a meeting. Fortunately there is a 530pm meeting in Wichita that I attended. I shared my "beer moment" with the group, and truly experienced the touch of God through their comments and the spirit in the room.
                              Once again, thank you AA for another 24 hours.
                              Love and Peace,
                              Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Working...
                              X