Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily - Wednesday May 12

Hello,
    I am new to this section so I thought I'd start out today's thread. Part of my signature is new and I think it's important to put down AF Since X as it says hey man I am serious now.
    I am in a crisis and in any case starting a new life and am searching for ways to both get help and help those I have hurt. Strangely, I feel more peaceful, in a stressy way, than I have in a long time.
    Well happy day everyone.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
    AF since May 6, 2010

hiya tulipe,good luck on your new life you can do it,drop in here as much as you can as it all helps.:-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Thanks Mario. I'll be around. Was reading some of your threads in Long Term Abstainers - thanks for starting them.
      Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
      AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Hey guys,

Thought I'd also start getting involved in the monthly abstinence section now that i'm slowly gettin a litle more stable. My goal has been One day at a time and I will continue as such but will start keeping the bigger picture in mind, to add another month onto my sobriety.

Looking forward to engaging with you here.
        AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

Good morning Tulipe, Mario & johnnyh & all Ab Fabbers

Welcome one & all, glad to see you here! Long term abstinence is definitely the mindset around here.
          You are doing the best possible thing for yourselves, your friends & families. Be proud of your successes but stay focused. Keep your guard up -AL is a sneaky enemy!

Nothing real special going on for me today. Just wanted to check in & say Hi!

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Hump Day

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

:welcome: to the new posters on daily abs. Thanks for starting the thread Tulipe! The more af time we have under our belts, the more time we spend living our lives and we don't depend so much on the forums. So, consequently it has been a little slow here. I think it's great to have some new posters!

I am beginning to get seriously depressed about our weather here. This morning I awoke to about 5 inches of snow on the ground and it was still snowing!! We have only had tiny glimpses of spring, and now snow???????????? I really need to get some work done around the house, but what I really feel like doing is going back to bed!:upset:

Have a great sober day all!:h
            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Hello all!

Zooming in from work.

Welcome Tulipe & Johnny H!
              Snow, LVT? Brrr. Too cold here to swim outdoors yesterday but it's picking up a bit today.
              Lav - nice owl cam yesterday (and DG!)

And.. zooming out again. Have a good day all.
              sigpic
              AF since December 22nd 2008
              Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Hi Tulip, Mario, Johnny, Lav & LVT

Tulip congrats on day 6 AF! :goodjob:

Its cold here in New England but LV snow! Brrrrr.......

I watched a good movie last night "28 days" with Sandra Bullock who is forced into rehab, its a light hearted movie with a lot of humor but the underlying story is about serious recovery. I saw a lot of the old party me in the character and every time I get these reminders Im even more grateful for my sobriety. It does highlight though how you have to change the old routine and people in your life and thats probably harder than actually giving up the AL. However im as committed as ever to my new life and am grateful for all you guys being here with me :l
                "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                AF - JAN 1st 2010
                NF - May 1996

Comment

Hey Chillgirl, Saw that movie a time back. It's great.

The weather seems to have been the topic of the day. It's really weired how messed up the seasons are getting. I don't think there's any denying of global warming taking its toll?!

Going home time for me now. It's frickn cold here too so will spent my evening on the forum with some hot soup and hot chocolate after.

'See' you all later :-)
                  AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

Oh, Johnny--I beg to differ on the global warming............
                    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Well, global freezing is more appropriate anyways. Waiting for the soup to get warm now. brrr.. it's a cold night.
                      AF since 15th March 2010

Comment

Good day Abbie Fabbies! Hearty welcome to Tulipe and johnnyh! As lav mentioned, this is an awesome group of serious AF travelers. Congrats to you both on your sober time! Sobriety is a tremendous gift in my life and I hope it works out that way for both of you too.

Chill, thanks for the movie recommendation! Just cued it up on Netflix. I hope you are having a fabulous time on your trip! How is your suitcase holding up? (or should I say, holding everything???)

Marshy, I thought of you this morning when I first looked at e-mail and the Prime Minister situation was the headline on that version of the New York Times. I'm curious what your feeling is about this outcome. Mean time, sorry there is no action at the Lido today.

LVT, I just can't imagine dealing with 5 inches of snow in May!!! I hope you find something really awesome to do indoors today to lift your spirits.

Lav, I probably won't be celebrating hump day today. I actually have a light day today too which is welcome!!! Now I need to use this time to do some things that need to get done rather than figgle around on the internet all afternoon!

Mario, it is always good to see you post here!

Tulipe raised a really good topic today I think. Getting help, and also dealing with some of our past mistakes. I know that I really wanted to "right" everything immediately but I have come to realize that at least in my case, this all takes time. Over the years, I made a lot of promises related to my drinking that I didn't keep. The ONLY way my loved ones will believe in my sobriety is for me to stay sober for a long time. My goal is to live out my life sober, but of course I can only do that by focusing on one day at a time. People are starting to get used to the sober me now. They are getting the idea that these days, I keep the committments that I make. They are getting used to me being more stable and generally nicer to be around. Stuff like that.

About past mistakes. This was a topic at the AA meeting I attended this morning, and some really interesting points came up. One woman said she asked a defense lawyer one time how she could possibly defend people she KNOWS are guilty. Her response was "EVERYONE makes bad choices. Everyone." That was a good reminder that no matter what things I have done that I regret, NONE of us are perfect. Not me, not you, nobody. We talked about the very BEST way to make up for past wrongs is usually to live better going forward. Avoid making the same mistakes again. Learning from the past and using that knowledge to do better today. At the appropriate time, I have approached certain people to express my regret for past mistakes. This would not have been appropriate to rush into - not until I had some sober time under my belt to give people a reason to believe in some change.

Don't know if that helps but that is what I am trying to do!

Have a fabulous AF day everyone. Hello to Greenie and Deter and any other travelers!

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Johhny, please pass the soup! It is cloudy and cooler than average here today. But no snow thank goodness!!!

DG
                          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

LVT,
                            In honor of your snow day I'm putting on a pot of split pea soup
                            It's chilly & damp here today.
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Great post DG,

I've made promises in the past with regards to my sobriety especially in early stage last year when I had about a month or two under the belt. My biggest regret was that one of them was my alcoholic father who I told that I was sober now and would support him in getting sober. Two months later I was drinking again which led me to not talk to him and avoid him for weeks and months.

This time I really want to get some solid, solid time under belt before I go around making statements and promises I can't keep.

The soup was great!!! And it was split pea soup as well. well actually my wife used half split peas and have red lentils with some potatoes, carrots, and some sour cream to finish it off. yum.
                              Hot chocolate comint up in half hour or so.
                              AF since 15th March 2010

Comment

Working...
                              X