Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting over

Hey everyone

Just wondering if I could join you over here and meet some of you? It's been a long time - I haven't posted on MWO in well over a year but have been lurking this last week. I really tried to go AF back then as my drinking was getting well out of hand, but just couldn't as life was so shitty. I tried moderating - but I don't have the 'off' switch either.

Recently at the start of this year I've found myself under huge stress in every area of my life (marriage, financial, family, relocating) and for the first time in my life I started having panic attacks. I'll never forget the first few - I thought I was dying.

At first didn't put 2 and 2 together but slowly realised that drinking was making my anxiety worse so I cut back. This then had me sitting in tears or just feeling numb most afternoons and struggling to get out of bed in the morning. Realised I was in a black hole and plucked up the courage to speak to my dr about it. I can't tell you the relief when she was totally easy to talk to about it - diagnosed depression and put me on a 3-6 month course of antiD's and hypnosis for depression. Just started them this week so haven't seen full effects yet.

I'm trying to see this as my one big chance to finally kick this hideous habit. I don't know if I could go to an AA meeting - but right now I try and look at glasses of wine as nothing but a panic attack waiting to happen - and I'm terrified of going through that again. I just don't think I could literally survive another hangover - physically, mentally, spiritually.

Glad to be back anyway

AF since 11/5/10
    AF since Sunday 27th June 2010
    One Day At A Time

Trying to be the best mother, daughter and friend that I can be.

Starting over

:welcome: back Mrs Donovan,

It's lovely to find a doctor that you can really talk to. I find it a real help to log in daily even if it's just to say hello and then spend longer than I really should.

There's loads of threads to join, ODAT (One Day at a Time), AF daily, The Army thread, The Newbies Nest. Just make yourself comfortable.

I can so relate to the 'panic in a glass'. It does get easier.

J x
    :l
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Starting over

:welcome: Mrs Donavan, glad you came back to MWO
      Good to have you in monthly abs, there are always great threads running here. I can totally relate to panic attacks and I think its great you now look at a glass of wine with that in mind. My panic attacks started last October and I took my last drink in December, in a way im grateful to them as if they hadnt started I would probably still be drinking....
      "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
      AF - JAN 1st 2010
      NF - May 1996

Comment

Starting over

Thanks for the welcome Jackie and Chillgirl - glad that you can relate to the panic too because I thought I was going mad at one point!

I feel the same - that in a way I am grateful to have experienced this because it has forced me to stop drinking. And now that I'm on antiD's I don't want to risk any further scary effects by just being stupid and giving into the wine.

I will look at those threads you suggested Jackie - One day at a time is how I'm feeling
        One Day At A Time

Comment

Starting over

Mrs. Donovan

I can certainly relate to the anxiety. Before I quit drinking, I was on anti-anxiety and anti-depressant medication. I was an anxious wreck. Now, I have no issues with anxiety and depression and I'm not taking any medication. Alcohol creates huge issues in these areas.

In addition to the other suggestions for this site, I would also suggest the toolbox that is in this section. There's lots of great info on staying AF and having an excellent quality of life!

Keep up the good work and come back and visit here often. There are lots of people in the monthly abs section who are serious about being AF.

M3
          AF Since April 20, 2008
          4 Years!!!
          :lilheart:

Comment

Starting over

Thanks MO3 I'll check out the toolbox
            One Day At A Time

Comment

Starting over

Welcome back Mrs. Donovan. Getting AL out of my life was one of the best things I ever did and I hope it works out that way for you too! One day at a time is a fabulous approach.

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Starting over

Thanks Doggygirl
                One Day At A Time

Comment

Working...
                X