Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monthly Abbercisers--Younger Next Year

Hello All,

I'm trying to resurrect this thread again!

I recently finished reading a book entitled "Younger Next Year." Written by an MD and a lay person. This book basically outlines a very sound approach to living into old age as a healthy and fit person. One of the best books I have read in a long time with lots of sound research backing.

The three basic rules are: Exercise, Good Nutrition, and Commitment (being committed to others, a cause, etc.) with guidance on how to do each. Growing old does not have to mean growing weak and feeble. One of the co-authors is 74 years old and is a big time down hill skiier, rower, and bicyclist (he does Lance Armstrong's route every year). Very inspiring! There is a women's version too called "Younger Next Year for Women" which is basically the same book/same principles.

Amazon.com: Younger Next Year: Live Strong, Fit, and Sexy - Until You're 80 and Beyond (9780761147732): Chris Crowley, Henry S. Lodge: Books
    AF Since April 20, 2008
    4 Years!!!
    :lilheart:

hi momof3 my mother was 74 yesterday and every morning she has porridge with bananas,then walks to mass,then of to the local gym were she swims at least 25 x 22 metre lengths,she also plays pitch & putt 3 days a week,she gave up smoking over 30 years ago and only drinks very moderately,just thought i would share this as it shows that a healthy life is the way to go.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

That is awesome Mario! It seems like staying active and connected is the key. YOu have a great role model in your mom!
      AF Since April 20, 2008
      4 Years!!!

Comment

momof3 - my grandmother is 98, she eats well, still dances weekly and goes for walks. Her mind is as sharp as ever and she is constantly ;earning new things. Most importantly she is always ready to help others. She is one of my foavorite people.
        While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Hi all and thanks M3 for resurrecting the thread! :b&d:

Mario and not tonight, awesome that you have healthy mature folks in your life to show you how it's done.!

LOL one of the leads groups I attend every week is held at a senior living place. (a really cool one!) There is a big seating area like a giant living room near the main entrance. As I was walking by that on my way to yesterdays meeting, I noticed an elderly couple necking on the couch. (7:55AM) I thought it was cute. When I left the meeting, they were still cuddled up tight. I was talking to another woman in the parking lot, and up runs a third woman yelling "did you see that couple on the couch? Her shirt was unbuttoned at the top and he was gropin'!" :H:H I totally missed that part. We plan to tease the manager who is part of our group next week about exactly what type of place she is running there.

Anyway....I finished off my Curves week today. 6 workouts, and they were pretty good ones this week if I do say so myself. My weigh in day at weight watchers is Tuesday. I am on track so far this week which is really what I needed - a good system to keep myself accountable along with some group support. I'm not way into the processed foods but am working the program in a way that fits my beliefs and most importantly, I am STICKING TO IT...at least for now! That's better than eating clean whole foods 80% of the time, and ice cream & cookes the other 20%. (at least I think I'm eating better this way!)

:b&d: What's everyone else up to??

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Not tonight. Your grandmother sounds awesome! I love the stories about these folks who are living it up in their senior years!

DG, I think you would really like this book "Younger Next Year" (even though you are only 29 like me). WW is a great program! I lost a ton of weight after my first child with WW.

My current nutrition program consists of as much clean eating as I can. Seems to really agree with me--no sugar, starches, etc. Sticking to protein, veggies, and fruits.

Workouts these days consist of bootcamp (running, weights, body weight exercises) and yoga. Striving for 6 days per week of exercise as recommended in "Younger Next Year." My motto is "Do something to get yourself moving every day."

M3
            AF Since April 20, 2008
            4 Years!!!

Comment

M3, I also meant to thank you for the book link. Looks interesting! Yes I'm with you on believing that clean eating without the processed stuff is the way to go. I'm not quite where I would like to be with that but am doing better than a few weeks ago!

Your workouts sound incredible!

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
              X