X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekly AA Thre - 17/5 - 23/5

Good Morning All !!!

Great posts as usual this week.

I will be busy with my youngest son's high school graduation this weekend, so just want to wish Happy 2nd birhtday to Doggygirl tomorrow. Thanks so much for all the sharing you do on this thread. I will always be so thankful to all of you here for opening me up to AA.

Thanks Catch for posting that reading. I can really identify with that.

Mary, am praying for you and your daughter. I really admire your strength through this.

Gyco, always enjoy the widsom in your thoughts.

Hope everyone has a super weekend!!!!

:goodjob::goodjob: DG on two years. - If you can do it, I can do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

HG
    AF 01/30/10

Look Back & Thank God
    Look Forward & Trust God
    Look Around & Serve God
    Look Within & Find God

Comment

Hi All...just stopping by to say hello to all.

Mary, I am praying for you and your daughter.

Everyone keep up the good work.

R2C
      Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
      :h

Comment

Hi, everyone -

I went to a couple of women's meetings this week, and got a 9 month chip too (purple - my favorite color!). I haven't been going in the last two months. I was having the feelings of "being one of those unfortunates" they talk about that can't really go through with the program. Then one day last week I think, I saw in the daily recovery readings an excerpt that said something about not being able to give up our old behaviors. It said, as long as we don't say we can "never" give them up, but if it's really difficult, say "This I cannot give up yet" rather than, "This I will never give up". This from pages 68-69 in the 12/12.

It also stresses not turning this into a total alcoholic rationalization of not doing anything ever. I still get caught up in the perfectionism trap, and feel unworthy when I can't live up to those standards. I think I'm doing so great, then see my old addict default behaviors kicking in, even though I'm not drinking anymore.

Anyway, it was something I really needed to see, it really spoke to me, so I am glad I do take time to look at at the readings - there's always something there, and just like a meeting, or reading you guys' posts here.

I went to a women's meeting I'd never been to last night, and it was great (plus they go to dinner afterward and welcomed me with open arms). It's a great feeling when it's like hanging with a bunch of my horsewomen friends I'd see every few months, but without the drinking and horse talk, but just as much fun. At least I am really getting comfortable going out (on my own no less) and socializing. I went to two different music venues to see shows in the last couple weeks too. Good old HP continues to find me good well lit close in parking if I just get the courage to get in the car and go. Also free refills on non AL drinks (whoo-hoo!). With the money I save, now I know I can afford expensive valet parking if I can't park close.

Thanks for all your posts everyone. I always check in with them, even when I don't post.

I'm sending out prayers for your daughter and you, Mary. :h

DG, that's fantastic on 2 years tomorrow! Have a wonderful time camping!

Hope eveyone has a good weekend - thanks for always being here and much love all! :h
        ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Back home in Texas. Hope y'all have a great weekend.
          Love and Peace,
          Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

DG, WOW, 2 Years and counting! So proud of you and thankful for all your wisdom on MWO. You truly have the gift of sobriety and are so willing to share with all of us. I thank you and wish you well.
            Celebrate, you deserve it!

Winefree

Comment

Hi Everyone,
              I to like to say congrats on 2yrs sober doggygirl and thanks for all your wisdom here on mwo you are a true inspiration to me.
              Just come back from AA it always makes me feel so much better inside knowning im not the only one that still have mad thoughts, i only though you get them when your drinking.
              I know AA doesn't offer any guarantees, but so long as i put the work init and not pick up that first drink that what i have to remember. AT the end of how meeking a young lady come back with her three month old baby, it just blew us all away, wow it just so nice to be sober and just enjoy the simple things in life, not the big house or the sports cars, not that i have a big house or sport car or go on hoilday every year it just the little things in life that are important, i know im still not 100% percent right in the head but who is ????
              IT not the end of the world.
              Love 2u ALLX got to go have a gr8 day everyone.x:h
              Formerly known as Teardrop:l
              sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
              my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Some really good thoughts here.

Yes, there are no guarantees in AA, but as long as I keep going, I have a better chance of staying sober. On Fri. night, there was a woman coming back to AA after a relapse. She had been sober 17 years, then relapsed. I could see the progression her relapse was taking. She was beginning the hiding part of the drinking. She was drinking alone or stopping at a bar on her way home from work. She knew she was in trouble & decided to come back to AA. I'm sure it wasn't easy.

There are times that I feel that the meetings get a little "stale." It's me & not the meetings. I've been pushing through those feelings. I have to make myself go to meetings I don't usually attend & reach out more to others. These are the strategies that keep me sober. I know I don't want to be any other way.

This crisis w/my daughter has been difficult, but I can't imagine how I would have managed had I been drinking. I'm very grateful for doing this sober.

Mary
                Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi friends! Mary, I hope all goes well with your daughter. Still sending prayers your way.

No guarantees. Boy isn't that the truth. The thought of relapse is scary to me, and also a very strong motivator to keep going to meetings and to keep working to improve the quality and the strength of my sobriety. I need that visual of AL doing push ups in the parking lot laying in wait for me to let down my guard. That doesn't mean I have to live in fear of AL - I don't. It means (to me) that I have to "exercise" and strengthen my physical, spiritual, and emotional health. I think if I work to stay healthy in these areas than AL doesn't have a chance with me. (or not a very big one anyway) But if I regress and become sicker spiritually, emotionally, or physically then the slope might get slippery.

Thinking I'm "OK" or "fixed" is what AL wants me to believe. That's how the door got kicked open for me to relapse before - thinking I'm fixed and can safely drink. If I slacked off on meetings, that would be like thinking I'm in some stage of getting "fixed" and don't need my tools so much any more. I'm not willing to take that chance and unlock that door for AL. It seems that diminished meeting attendance is a common denominator to relapse. I am willing to spend an hour a day at a meeting in order to keep my life moving forward and not go back to the ugly dark place.

I enjoy reading all of your posts!!!! I hope you are all having a FABULOUS sober Sunday.

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I always love reading your post Doggygirl, and everyone else, But
                    It time for me to say good bye, i will carry on going AA meetings, but also right now i need to concentrate on my family and my husband right now he has been goood and has help and supported me through the bad times and difficult times it time for me to support him.
                    From the bootom of my heart Thank you all very much.......Teardrop.xXx
                    Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                    sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                    my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Why are you saying goodbye Catch?

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Catch started another thread saying goodbye as well. Hope she is ok. It worries me a bit.
                        She says she needs to concentrate on her husband.

DG thanks for the info on relapsing. I'm struggling with the demon trying to tell me I'm ok too. Need to keep taking it ODAT and keep looking forward, not back.

Mary still praying.

Winefree

Comment

Working...
                        X