Weekly AA Thread - Week of May 24 - 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Everyone: There's a lot going on in my life..."life on life's terms" as the AAers would say. I'm learning to go through events as they come up, hoping for the best & trying to learn from everything else.

There was a woman at last night's BB meeting who has been coming back again & again from relapses. Last night she was 7 days sober. It's hard to see, because she seems frustrated w/herself. The group welcomed her back w/open arms which is heart-warming to see. I know how much I relapsed before I got into AA.

I don't have much else to say except that I'm praying for my daughter & for my own sobriety. Sober is the only way I want to go through life. Sat. night we had dinner w/old friends, & while I was the only one not having wine, I felt completely OK about it...as did everyone else. These were people who were there in '09 when I went to the ER w/the overdose, so they know why I don't drink anymore. They automatically pour me soda now. I'm also finding that nobody really notices what I drink (or cares). I have no self-consciousness about being abstinent. Nobody drank more than a glass or 2, so we all talked intelligently until the end of the evening. It was a nice time.

I hope all is well w/everyone.

Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Hi Mary and thank for you getting us started for the week! From last weeks thread, thank you WF for directing me to Catch's other post. I miss her already, but understand the need to prioritize activities and find balance. Thank goodness I'm not faced with it, but if I had to make a choice between my face to face support or my on-line support, I would probably have to go with the face to face - much as that would sadden me.

I haven't been to a meeting since last Thursday due to the camping trip and taking Dad to the hospital for the pre-surgery tests, etc. I'm feeling it! I miss my friends and I miss getting my head on straight early in the day. I really like the woman who chairs currently on Tuesday morning, so I'm especially looking forward to the meeting tomorrow. I will be getting my 2-year coin.

I am so grateful to be sober. And I'm grateful to our forum here and all the sharing that goes on.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Everyone: We just found out that our daughter has been diagnosed w/breast cancer. She & her husband will have a consultation w/the surgeon tomorrow AM, & we'll be looking after the kids/dog. It's a shock, but I know I have to take this a day at a time. I called a close AA friend, & I told her to alert the group for me. They'll be some major praying going on. I'm pretty sure it was caught early, but nevertheless, it was devastating to hear. I'll be back. Mary
      October 3, 2012

Comment

retteacher I will keep you daughter and your family in my thoughts and prayers...techie
        Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Mary, sorry to hear that about your daughter. Glad that they have found it early, since it will hopefully be easier to treat. The prayers will continue. Peace, hope and strength coming your way.

Winefree

Comment

Mary, sorry to hear about your daughter. You are so correct about facing all this sober.
            We will keep you and your family in our prayers.
            Love and Peace,
            Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Mary, I'm sorry to hear that. I'll keep your daughter and you in my prayers. Love, strength and hope to you both. Take care. :h
              ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Mary,
                I am new to this part of the website, but I am following your story with your daughter. I am hoping for the best for both of you.
                AF since May 6, 2010

Forget the past, plan for tomorrow, and live for today.

Comment

Thanks everyone. A few tears just came to my eyes. I'm doing OK. I'm in high activity mode trying to keep Patty's young family on an even keel. My husband has been a rock, & I know I'll get through this sober. My AA friends will rally around me when I feel I need it. I'll be back when I can. MWO is one of my supports. Mary
                  October 3, 2012

Comment

Mary,

So sorry to hear your news. Hoping that the second opinion was Higher Power's gift to you all for early detection. Praying for you and your family.

HG
                    AF 01/30/10

Look Back & Thank God
                    Look Forward & Trust God
                    Look Around & Serve God
                    Look Within & Find God

Comment

Patty will probably get a 2nd opinion, but the outcome will probably be the same: mastectomy...at least one. It's been one blow after another. I'm struggling through my feelings...I can almost see why I drank. However, I know that there are no shortcuts. I'm going to feel this regardless of whether I drink or not. I'll stay sober, because I want to be fully present for my daughter & her family.

I'm not going to a meeting tonight, as the phone has been ringing off the hook. I know I'll go over the weekend...those are my home groups & my biggest support.

Mary
                      October 3, 2012

Comment

Mary,

My prayers are with you and your family. I can only imagine what feelings you must be going thru right now. One day at a time, God will take care of the details.

Hugs to you and yours,

R2C
                        Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
                        :h

Comment

Mary, I am so sorry to read this news. You and your daughter and your families will be in my prayers and Sister's prayers too.

DG
                          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Mary, My thoughts and prayers are with you and your daughter. I can't even imagine how you feel. She is lucky that she has a smart (and completley sober) mom on her side who can be of immense support to her. Please keep us posted.
                            AF Since April 20, 2008
                            4 Years!!!
                            :lilheart:

Comment

Yes, I am completely sober & so glad I am. We've entered into another phase today: action mode. Appointments & consultations are coming up. Yesterday, there was a lot of grief which still wells up but not to the degree yesterday. One of my AA friends just called, & I will be able to get to 2 of the weekend meetings. Thank you one & all. Your thoughts & prayers mean a lot to me. Mary
                              October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X