Weekly AA Thread - Week of June 21 - June 27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings all. I just returned from Kansas. Had to close on the sale of my Mother's house. I thought it was going to be no big deal, but yesterday afternoon/evening on the 6.5 hour drive home I felt really strange. Not that I wanted to drink but at every "pit" stop I would see stacks of Budweiser on sale...you know...like $20 a case..and I'm thinking "gee that's a pretty good deal". So I thought I needed a meeting on the road. I stopped at McDonald's and used my way cool iPad to search for a meeting I could make by 8 pm. Found one in Shawnee, OK. Programmed the address into the GPS and off I went. Unfortunately I got there late, about 815 pm and found lots of cars around the building. I was uncomfortable to enter the late, plus I needed to use the facilities. I decided to use the Love's c-store next door. I took my iTouch with me because it has the Big Book on it. While taking care of business, I had a little 10 minute meeting with myself. It worked! I felt better, got back on the road, drove another hour and got a hotel room and a pint of Ben & Jerry's. Slept late, and hit the road for home.

Once again I am amazed at the power of AA.
    Next week San Antonio!!!
    Love and Peace,
    Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Clare, there is ALWAYS hope. As long as you are still breathing, there is hope. If whatever you have been doing to try to get sober isn't working, be willing to try something else. I believe there is a solution for everyone. It just may not be what we want or like or expect.

Hi Mama - you too - keep trying something different until you find what works for you. Be willing to do whatever it takes.

Phil, that is a great story of how you had your private meeting. Your post made me think of the times when around the tables, we've talked about what to do when we are alone and can't reach anyone by phone, etc. For me, that's where all that prayer practice comes in handy. If God is really there, I'm talkin'. And listenin' too. I'm so glad you used your tools and worked your program and got home safe and sound and sober. I am so excited too about San Antonio!! I still get chills thinking about the Big Meetings in the Alamodome and what the quiet time followed by the serenity prayer will be like.

Is there just one iPhone App for AA? The one you have sounds great. Although it sounds like you have the iPad rather than iPhone? Are the apps different?

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Phil, that was a great idea using the Iphon for the AA mtg. My husband has one and I find it amazing all it can do. It certainly is convenient for finding restaurants on the road, directions through the GPS and many other things. I find at most meetings they accept people coming in late. It is awkward, but part of a meeting can be better than none. Glad you were able to work it out. I am using a daily prayer book while I am on the road. We have been so busy that I am exhausted each night and don't have time to think to much about drinking.

Mary, I envy you not having thoughts of drinking. I don't feel the urge to drink, but I do think about it.
        DG, I too think you will do fine as a speaker. You have so much to offer and share with everyone. Your experience and wisdom are an inspiration.

Take care all.

Winefree

Comment

DG: I'm unclear...are you going to speak at the convention??? If so, Wow! If you're speaking at a regular meeting, wow, that's great too. Folks from this neck of the woods (the east coast) are leaving for the convention soon...like next week.

Clare: I NEVER gave up hope of getting sober...really sober. I relapsed many times over. Then, I decided to try AA meetings...actually a bad drinking bout put me into AA. AA along w/MWO have kept me sober for over a year. While I've had some pretty difficult circumstances in my life: my father's death & my daughter's diagnosis of breast cancer, I haven't felt I've needed to turn to alcohol. I know that if I don't keep myself vigilant, I could fall right back into drinking. So, I go to as many meetings as I can, & I come to MWO daily.

Phil: What a great story! You did what the program preaches. Are you going to the convention? I hope all of you who do go will share about it here.

After today, I won't be around an awful lot. We're heading to Boston tonight, & tomorrow is the surgery.

Mary
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Mary, NO I'm not speaking at the convention! Yikes! I'm speaking at an open meeting here in town. There will be quite a few friends and familiar faces - very few complete strangers.

I will be thinking of you and your family tomorrow. Patty is on Sister's prayer list.

Have a great day all!

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Mary, yes I'm going to San Antonio. My 3 years sober friend Michael from Omaha is driving down to my house and then we will make the road trip. Thirty five years ago he and I would do road a trip like this with 6 cases of beer. Now it will be coffee and cigars .
              Love and Peace,
              Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Phil - That's great how you found a way to have your own personal meeting. "Willing to whatever it takes" can sometimes take a creative turn. The important thing is we find a way.

I'll be thinking of and praying for Patty too, Mary. Sending positive thoughts your way. :l

DG - Remember to look for the jackrabbits! Bring cool clothes - it's HOT down here - though a light something to cover up with is sometimes necessary inside if the air conditioning's cranked up. Enjoy San Antonio and the convention! Keep us posted on the goings on.
                ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Phil, how cool that you and a friend will be repeating a road trip - just in a better way now.

Dance, thank you for the reminder about bringing a jacket or something for indoors. That is a very good point and with the heat we have here right now, I'm sure I wouldn't have thought of it! Will keep an eye out for the jackrabbits. All bunnies are fine unless they are trying to eat my green beans.

There was a first time newcomer at the first meeting today. (my regular Sunday 7AM group) He said he has struggled with AL for a long long time but is finally realizing it's a losing battle. Sound familiar? Hope it's "his time." But if not, he knows where to find us in the future. I'm learning to recognize the value of people just being aware that AA is an option, whether they keep coming back or not "at this time." Maybe they find another way too.

I think the speaking went OK. I was really nervous at first, but once I got going it just seemed to come. Higher power I think. LOL, a woman there told me the speakers prayer:

God, help me out so I say good stuff,
                  Then give me a nudge when I've said enough.

It's funny how hearing someone's whole story (or a 1/2 hour straight of it) is different than hearing bits and pieces over time around the tables. I've found that to be true of others I've gone to here as speakers, and a couple of my friends thought that of me today. Connected with existing friends in some new ways. I also found similarities with some new people which was cool. I have a new sponsee (as usual, it's considered temporary for now) We have some life things in common, and some differences. She is two weeks sober. I think she is at that point where she is ready to be done with AL. We talked after the meeting and then went and had lunch. I like her and whether or not our sponsor / sponsee arrangement works for the long term, I hope she makes it. Homework started today.

All that, plus two more batches of jam and a load of laundry. In the old days, that would have taken me a week between hangovers.

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Mary, hugs and more hugs and prayers coming your way.

DG and Phil, looking forward to hearing about the convention. Can't even imagine what it will be like.

Happy Sunday to all. Still on vacation, back to reality in a couple of days!

Winefree

Comment

WF - I realize I did not post to you as intended in my last post! I hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation. Sounds like you too are making the best of things on the road - finding a way to do what you need to do to stay sober, while on the road. I admire that and have not been tested with a long road trip since getting sober. When my time comes, I will remember you guys talking about it and will know that if you can do it, then maybe I can too!

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                      X