AF Daily - Saturday July 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Felt the need to go to an AA meeting this afternoon and found a really nice, small, welcoming one. Pity I won't be able to go regularly because I usually work on Saturdays. Oh well. But it was a great meeting - just about everything everybody said resonated with me. And the woman who was dishing out literature gave me a load of leaflets because she thought I was new to AA and I've just been rereading them in the bath. Very comforting.

Anyhoo.

DG - a woman at my book group made the most delicious courgette (zucchini) cake one week.
    Dunno the recipe but there must be some online. You'd never know it had courgette in, it didn't taste vegetabley, just very moist.

Greenie - you need to draw FH a map. Pharmacy, hairdresser's, skate park etc, none of which are to be confused with Greenie's house.

Pamina - It's weird how many people there are with cancer when the subject crops up. I've been told of loads of other people I vaguely know or relatives of relatives kind of thing.

Momof3 - have a great holiday!

Papmom - congrats on the Papmobile! The fake wood dashboard would definitely have clinched it for me :H

Lav - any progress with Mr Lav?

LVT - my mum's diagnosis so far is bone cancer in one leg (that was picked up by an MRI scan that was primarily to look at her lungs), so the leg thing was totally unexpected. Still waiting on more lung test results, should get more news on Tuesday when there's a meeting of oncologists/consultants at the hospital.

Bear - funny you say about it being too hot to drink. Loads of people saying at AA today that they were having a hard time because it is so hot and everyone's sitting outside bars etc. One woman said she was sitting have iced coffee with a friend and the waitress asked if they'd like a Bailey's to go with the coffee and she thought "yes, I do want a Bailey's" so she jumped in the car and drove straight to the AA meeting :H

Belated sandwich warning
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Well the papmobile is all filled up and there is still room for more!! the crates are in and tied down with straps instead of bungees.
      The car I traded in for it (only got $300 and was expecting $600-oh well, it really did have a lot of rust. Found out it will probably end up in Mexico or the DR!!) was a 94 Corolla wagon with 259+K miles on it!! I know I could have gone at least another 2 years on it expecially if i had done something with the rust but the time was right financially for my dad to do this for me (I will be making monthly payments to him) and for me to put what's left of my home equity money into a repair account. Who knows what the case might have been in October so we decided to do this now. I can rest easy this winter. Unfortunately there goes my excuse for working from home :upset:!!

M3-yes it's a 2001 Outback. State car of NH? :H:H

Marshy-:H!! The interior is a light beige so the wood veneer actually looks quite nice :H!!

DG-I have a recipe for zucchini brownies-they are delish. want it?

OK Lav-where is that cold front? It's grey and still humid here! I'll take it even for just one day. I put on my BGP and turned off the AC but that won't last long.
      New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Turn the AC back on Papmom!
        The rain has stopped here but now it's humid as hell. Is hell really humid - does anyone really know :H:H Congrats on your new ride, looks great!

Progress with Mr Lav was minimal but it was something. He's agreed to start coming over more often. I have finally convinced him 'Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes'! He cannot continue to sit in isolation & dwell in the land of negativity! I'm trying......to remain positive!

I hope everyone has a peaceful AF evening
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

P3, indeed I would LOVE that zuke brownie recipe. When I first read that, I thought of Those Other Brownies from the college days....:H We shall have none of THAT in Mr. Doggyland! Is that your dog crates for agility you strapped down? Sounds like a nice setup!

M3 thanks for that link. Looks interesting!

Marshy, I'm sorry to read about the bone cancer. :l It's funny about AA literature. I am always seeing stuff I've not seen before when I travel around to new meetings. Glad you found a good one when you felt you needed it. I love knowing I have a place to go if I'm ever feeling strange or urgy or lonely or whatever. An automatic comfort zone of sorts. And hey - if you come across that zuke cake recipe, please share!

Greenie, I like Marshy's suggestion of an FH map.

Lav, I'm so glad for you that a bit of progress was made. I hope it all works out so you are HAPPY. You are so upbeat and nice and such a giver around here. You deserve to be happy.

My Dad's birthday is on Monday so we decided to go see him tomorrow. Guess what I'm going to make for him????? (if you guessed zucchini bread, you got it right!)

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Zucchini Brownies-Not your college day brownies LOL!!

Recipe Name:
            Zucchini Brownies
            Ingredients:

BROWNIES:
            1/2 cup vegetable oil
            1 1/2 cups white sugar
            2 teaspoons vanilla extract
            2 cups all-purpose flour
            1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
            1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda ( I used baking powder by mistake and they still came out great)
            1 teaspoon salt
            1/2 cup chopped walnuts (Optional-I did not use)

FROSTING (Optional-I did not use)
            6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
            1/4 cup margarine
            2 cups confectioners' sugar
            1/4 cup milk
            1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups shredded zucchini
            1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Steps:
            1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
            2. In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, baking soda and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Fold in the zucchini and walnuts. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
            3. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until brownies spring back when gently touched.
            4. To make the frosting, melt together the 6 tablespoons of cocoa and margarine; set aside to cool. In a medium bowl, blend together the confectioners' sugar, milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in the cocoa mixture. Spread over cooled brownies before cutting into squares.

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

DG-The crates are for all 3 dogs no matter where we travel. My dogs are small-under 25lbs and I just can't let them ride loose-I've heard too many horror stories. I am OCD when it comes to them in the car and if I could permently bolt the crates to the floor I would :H. I never feel like I've secured them enough no matter what I do. I'd also love to invent in-crate air bags but can't figure out how to prevent the suffocation that would happen.
              Only devil dog (the one in my avatar) does agility. He's got the focus and athletism of a BC and might have a little of that in him. My other two are all pap and would rather sniff or visit then run the course.

Lav-it's cooled off slightly and there is a nice breeze that's complimented by the ceiling fans so I think I can hold off until tomorrow. Your visit with Mr. Lav sounds positive so fingers crossed and pings being sent your way that it all works out the way YOU want. I agree with DG-you deserve to be happy!!

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Thanks P3 for the Not Your College Brownie recipe! Dad might get those tomorrow instead of zuke bread!

I'm with you on the travel crates. We won't travel with loose dogs either. In the back end of our camper (it's the "toy hauler" model with essentially a "garage" in the back) we DO have custom built crates bolted to the floor. :H I always thought agility looked like a lot of fun. Maybe someday when I have a doggy of my own....

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Me too on the "no loose doggie". Mine wears a seat belt harness and I keep the air bag off on her side.

My neighbor just gave me a huge bag of tomatoes. Too bad we don't live close by - we could swap out our surplus and feed LVT until her stuff produces.
                  sigpic
                  Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

DG-Well I am totally confused!! I thought you had like 5 dogs!! Why do you have an RV with crates but no dogs?
                    Agility is a ton of fun!! It can get very expensive with classes, seminars, camps and of course entry fees and if you get really serious there is serious travel. RV/campers would be a must then. I do the bare minimum: once a week classes, a rare seminar and I think I'll only be doing a total of 2 maybe 3 trials this year. I'm hoping with this new ride that tows 2000 lbs that eventually I can get a "tiny travel trailer" so I can do weekend trials and not pay the hotel rates. This is assuming of course I win the lottery in the near future :H :H!!
                    Hope your dad likes the brownies!!!

Greenie-when it was just my Mickey, he wore the seat belt harness too but when I got into rescue and started fostering, I decided to put them all in crates. Sure saves on the dog fur on the seats but not by much!! A huge bag of tomatoes.... tomato brownies???

KO the Beast!!

Comment

papmom3;908217 wrote: DG-Well I am totally confused!! I thought you had like 5 dogs!! Why do you have an RV with crates but no dogs?
                      :H:H:H

They do have 5; Mr Doggy claims the dependants.
                      sigpic
                      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Ahh, now I get it. hey DG-at one time Devil Dog was up for rehoming. With the right offer.......JK!! Although some days it still crosses my mind!!

KO the Beast!!

Comment

papmom3;908250 wrote: Ahh, now I get it. hey DG-at one time Devil Dog was up for rehoming. With the right offer.......JK!! Although some days it still crosses my mind!!
                          :H:H

Yesterday at the farmers market I got to pet a little 3 pound teacup yorkie. That's the sort of doggy I have in mind to adore me and follow me everywhere and defend my honor and not LOOK at any other human but me.

Don't ask what I was doing at the farmers market while being over run by my own zucchinis.

(Greenie is right about Mr. D and the dependents)

DG
                          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Well DG-I have one word for you-PAPILLON!! You can get them in all sizes although from a reputable breeder probably in the 5 -8 lb range. However, rescue has a lot of the bigger ones-10 -20 lbs, which I prefer. they all can do agility if they want to plus rally-o and competitive Obedience and FLYBALL!! Get a ball hound pap and the flyball people will be all over you to join them!! No ex for the humans there tho.
                            Paps were bred to be lap dogs and they do it well. they are intensely loyal however at playdates can be whores. Why? Because there are tons of laps!!:H But I know many who only have eyes for their person which I don't necessarily agree with. I like to be able to love and pet all of them and not get growled at.
                            Go to any agility trial near you next weekend and watch the 8 and 12 inch runs. You'll be amazed how many paps there are and the handlers just LOVE to talk about them!!
                            I can point you toward a couple of good rescue groups when you're ready if you decide the pap is for you.
                            This is JMHO and I have no financial interest in this product. HAH!!!!

KO the Beast!!

Comment

wooof wooof!

alls well in the high desert, just popping in to give Marshy a few extra hugs XXXXXX

be well everyone
                              nosce te ipsum
                              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Thank you Det, and everyone else.
                                sigpic
                                AF since December 22nd 2008
                                Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Working...
                                X