Should I drink alcohol free wine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have become extremely gouchy the past few days and I am wondering whether I should buy a non alcohlic wine.In the Uk I can get various types with less than 1% volume and I cannot get intoxicated by them...apparently. Suppose to be ideal for expectant mothers, if you are on medication or diabetics..

But for an alcoholic? One side of me wants to buy a bottle because I am not "cheating" nor putting myself in danger etcbut the other side wonders whether it would trigger me to go out and get the real stuff?

Can someone please advise me on this one. I am really struggle today. I dont want to go back to drinking so if anyone of you has had a bad experience on this one then please please share it with me.

Thank you guys
    Be strong-
    We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
    Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Hi Rebirth,
    I've never liked the AF wine-too sweet even when they were supposed to be my fav, Pinot Grigio, so I've stayed away from them. I think there are a few different thoughts about alcoholics and alcohol dependent people drinking these things. My first question when I saw your post was: "why are you grouchy and why do you think an AF wine will make you feel less grouchy?" I think that is the real question, not whether or not you should drink an AF wine.
    Good luck with what you find out on all fronts.

:l
    New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

No

Why should you rebirth, it will only set yourself up for a fall or slip,there are lots of other drinks you can get out there which has nothing at all to do with alcohol,even 1%.
      These are little mind games that start to kick in when you have got some progress, Stay with your plan and keep loving and appreciating your new found freedom.:-) your doing great

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

I too, would steer clear Rebirth, the taste, the bottle, the whole opening of it could send you for the real thing....you don't need it....

Buy some sparkling fruit juice and drink it out of fancy glass....

I personally would not risk it ESPECIALLY if you are struggling, it may lead to the "ah fuck it" syndrome..
        "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
        NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Hiya Rebirth.

No. Think about it. This is classic addictive mind thinking. It is the al talking. Your al drenched chemical makeup is saying to you it cannot survive without alcohol in your system, and it needs it now. The smallest percentage of al won't get you pissed, but will re awaken your addiction pathway's in your body. Then there is the probable dilemma of psychological association, and the old familiarity. Try it if you must, you'll soon find out, but i say it is your addiction lying to you. Some folk here have drank al free beer before and not felt tempted, but i believe this is unnecessary, and very dangerous territory.

Best wishes, Greg.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Thank you papmom, mario and oney for your quick responses
            I guess I am grouchy because I have been irritable for a few days and I dont have my drug to mask it nor have the mental know how of how to channel my negative energy.
            I usually just sit out a craving by being busy or eating a nice meal etc. but this one seems to be staying and growing bigger every day. I just thought that maybe a glass of AF wine might make me feel a bit better.

Another issue is that my partner drinks in front of me (He doent have a problem with alcohol). I only see him at the weekend but it's unbearable sometimes. Especially this weekend. he is supportive but can also be selfish at the same time. I cant type properly because he is here...

But for now I will listen to the advice given and just ride the storm. I wont buy any AF wine.
            Thank you . x
            Be strong-
            We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.

Comment

Thank you greg. Okay so far it's a big no.
              Be strong-

Comment

Another no here too, Rebirth. However I do put the non AL drink of the day in my lovely gothic goblet. They cost me a fortune so I don't let anyone else use them.
                It could be worse, I could be filing.
                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

As above. How will a glass of coloured liquid which could send you back to the real thing alter how you feel?

If you are finding watching your partner drink uncomfortable ask him not to drink when he sees you. Most without a problem are fine with this as it isn't an issue with them, and of course he can always have a drink on other days.

Comment

Five no's so far. No yes's.
                    Oh pooh!
                    Well you guys are the experts!
                    Be strong-

Comment

Hi ukblonde
                      We cross posted. I had a long talk with him last night and he says he will stop drinking in front of me. He is annoyed about it because he only drinks on a weekend ( we dont live together. Just meet on weekends). It's his reward for a hard weeks work. I understand where he comes from but at the same time I have to protect my sobriety. I basically told him that he has to stop drinking in front of me or we dont hang out together.
                      It's harsh but if he carries on I will buckle or just want to throttle him. Anway, if he doesnt have a problem with drink then it should not be an issue right?
                      Be strong-

Comment

I used to feel the same when I had a partner who liked to relax with a glass of nice wine in the evenings. One year he pulled out a bottle of champagne at christmas when I was an an AF attempt. I could have throttled him for sure. I used to build up immense resentment and it really didn't help. Roll on a year or two and that person would have done ANYTHING to get me sober, including putting his treasured wine collection in the garage.

Comment

Good for you Rebirth,

My Husband has stopped drinking at home at all and has found it harder than he thought. I always felt it was unfair to stop him doing something that he enjoys but now I know, and so does he, that Al is a poison that we can choose to keep out of our bodies. Living in this world there are so many poisons we can't avoid, why not avoid the ones you can.
                          I have stopped thinking of Al as a reward for anything. Try rewarding him for a hard week with something else, like sex.
                          Tant
                          AF since 12 April 2010

Comment

tantangra;909159 wrote:
                            I have stopped thinking of Al as a reward for anything. Try rewarding him for a hard week with something else, like sex.
                            Oh tantangra. I laughed so loud when I read that. You get straight to the point and I like that.
                            I think my partner will emphatically agree with you! But not going into detail on this one.

Ukblonde. OOOO I love champagne. I started to salivate when you mentioned the word.I shouldnt say that.

I won't give up the battle. I am so inspired and encouraged by the amount of people who abstain. It's fantastic.
                            Be strong-

Comment

Girlfriends i've happened to be with when i've tried to stop drinking in the past have alway's been respectful and totally supportive and encouraging of my af efforts, and it never stopped them hanging with me. In fact it encouraged them! (I used to feel i was putting them out cause of their decision not to drink in front of me.) Your bloke, if he is a decent person, and i'm sure he is, should have absolutely no problem not drinking in front of you. A decent person will be supportive of you, and be pro-active in their own efforts to promote af weekend's together, non al activities, etc...at least till you're stronger. This is what decent, true friends do.

Best wishes. G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                              X