Abbercisers .......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abbercisers .......

I've just been looking for the old abbercisers thread, but it appears to have fallen by the wayside. Am I looking in the wrong place?? Does it go by another name?? Anyone interested in joining me to resurrect it??
    Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Abbercisers .......

What is a abbercisers thread?
    While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Abbercisers .......

No idea NT, can I join miss PLEEZE
      Molly
      Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
      contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Abbercisers .......

abbercisers was a thread that was people being AF and aspiring to some fitness goals. I find that being AF is very much helped by being fit and achieving some stretch targets. I've had a challenging year, but over the last 2 months have started to make progress again.

We are not talking serious or competitive stuff here! I am 48 and could comfortably lose 20kgs. But I have got back into exercising most days, and like to be able to do an Olympic distance triathlon in the next 6 months (I dont care how slow I am at it!!) Would really love it if there were others that wanted to share the journey .........

I'm a good swimmer and can happily do several kms. OK on cycling. But i really struggle with running as a result of a serious bout of pleurisy a couple of years ago. So I am taking it very slowly - doing the walking and running thing. After 2 months working up to it, I can now run 2km!! I know that others can do this easily, but it is still a struggle for me. I'm doing 10km most Sundays - run as much of it as i can but mostly walking.

Anyway, I'm going to start posting on my progress ...... anyone that wants to accompany me feel free to join in!!! Would love it if you joined in Mollyka, NT and anyone else!!

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Abbercisers .......

Hi Miss B,

I'm toying with the idea of going on a week's sea swimming holiday, with a maximum of 6.5km every day. You have to be able to swim that distance without stopping. So I'm going to my local pool on Monday (first opportunity I'll have) to see how far I can swim at the moment with stopping. My pool is 50m so I have to be able to do 130 lengths. I usually only do about 10. :H

But I like the idea of training up to 6.5km... still mulling it over.
          sigpic
          AF since December 22nd 2008
          Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Abbercisers .......

Abbercisers!!! :yougo::yougo: Oh wait. Wrong smilie. :b&d::b&d:

Yes! Let's start it up again!

Marshy, I am NOT going on vacation with you if I have to swim like that!!!!

I am still doing Curves. We have summer boot camp going right now which means in addition to the regular workout, there is an extra credit workout. There are also other things we can do to earn points for our team such as bringing in healthy recipes and a few things like that. There are BIG points given out if you bring in a friend who joins Curves!! Anyway, I had sort of a sucky week as I only worked out 3 times and I target 5 times. Gotta kick it up a notch next week.

I'm also going to weight watchers. I am trying to accept my actual age (29) oh wait... (not 29) and the fact that I might not be able to comfortably maintain the weight / clothing size I would love to be. (and eat any actual food) So I've set my goal at 153 and I made that goal last week. That keeps me in a size 10 rather than size 8. But that's OK I guess. Then I promptly went on an ice cream binge that has lasted for days. I'll blame the heat wave but..... well..... more work to do there. Maintenance is a bitch.

Well, good to have this thread back!! So I guess this is July abbercizers?

Thanks MB!

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Abbercisers .......

I'm still abbercizing and loving it. Have lost about 15lb over a year, but better than that I can run now for 50 mins, (working up to a 10k in December), and am working with a trainer (using my 'wine' money )
              and am getting physically stronger which would seem to be in tandem with mental 'strength'. I highly recommend exercise as a tool in the fight against AL and depression. One foot in front of the other, one step at a time, literally.

Am moving next week and the condo gym is literally across the hallway, no excuses then!

Bets
              x
              Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

Abbercisers .......

oh goody, some fellow travellers!!

Betty, that is so good about your running!! Well done! Particularly in Singapore - when I've been there it is as much as I can do to walk from my brother's apartment to the pool!

Marshy - swimming 6.5km would be huge!!!!! How many hours would it take you?? Fabulous challenge though!

DG - always good to see you! When I went to WW (when i was 29!!) I stuck to it religiously, but found that being at what they thought was my "goal weight" required me to practically starve myself. I did it for the 4 weeks that I needed to do it to become a life member and then stopped worrying about it. I was happiest at about 2kg above that - was easy to maintain and didn't feel hungry all the time!!

Then I started drinking and the rest is history ......... :H:H But I really shall be 29 again:H

Almost daylight here .... I'm just waiting for it to be light to decide whether I will walk or swim this morning. I'm in a swim squad that swims in the harbour on Sunday mornings .... I usually give it a miss during winter, but I had such a fabulous swim yesterday that I have been contemplating whether I might go out today.

Ooops ..... just checked the web site that has the water temperature and it registered only 7 degrees this morning. Think I shall head to the gym instead ........

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Abbercisers .......

Bets!!! Wow I'm so glad MB resurrected this thread as it's so wonderful to reconnect with you guys! Congrats on your wonderful progress on all fronts Bets!

MB, 29 Forever. (would make a good name for a James Bond flick, non? ) The weight range for my height at weight watchers these days is VERY broad. And the weight coaches would NOT give an opinion of goal weight other than to say it needs to be in the (broad) range, or if outside the range, with a doctors note. I wonder if they got in trouble along the way for setting inappropriate goals for people? I'm new so I don't know what may be different today than in the past. I tend to fluctuate but overall I was down 8.8 pounds at my last weigh in so despite the ups and downs, it seems to be helping me some!

My abbercise for today was sweating around a hot kitchen for 4 hours volunteering at the shelter! I'm glad I did it.

:b&d:

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Abbercisers .......

Miss Behaving;913910 wrote:

Marshy - swimming 6.5km would be huge!!!!! .
                    Oh god. And you're a proper swimmer by the sounds of it, so if you think it's huge... maybe it's too huge.

Or maybe I need to join a swimming club or something if I can find one. DG - I like the way you join groups to help achieve your goals. Hmmm, off to google swimming clubs...
                    sigpic

Comment

Abbercisers .......

Marshy, I do 2km regularly but I am very slow (2km takes about an hour) , and in this part of the world, lots of people swim before they walk!! My longest swims are between 3-4 km and under race conditions (in open sea) they take about 2 hours. I think it just depend on how fast you are and what the conditions are - I'm one of the slowest in our squad and some people do a 2.8km swim (to a lighthouse in our harbour) in less than an hour.

if you did 6.5 km every day for a week you would have swum the English Channel! But I really agree with you on the "joining a group" stuff. I'm not really a groupie in most things, but I really like it for exercise stuff, because essentially you are still on your own in terms of effort. And the team stuff helps me to push myself when I'm feeling a bit lazy .....

I truly believe that we are much more capable than we believe we are and I think stretch targets are good to go for. I have let my thoughts about my age limit me for a long time. Now I try to remember that when I'm making comparisons I'm the only one that matters!

Not that I did that this morning! Still a bit foggy, grey and miserable here so I did a fast 5km walk and left it at that. And am feeling a bit stiff after a really good run and workout on Friday that included 4 x 10 each of walking lunges, squats, and pushups. But I feel good (virtuous!! :H:H) when I'm feeling stiff, and I am feeling so much better than 2 months ago when the only thing that got me out the door was blind determination! I started out with walking 20 minutes a day - easy enough that I knew I could do it without much effort, but it got me back into the habit.

DG- :goodjob: for your volunteering. I have a big (work-related and very overdue) commitment that I need to meet this year ..... then I plan to cut back on work hours and do some myself. I've recently been clearing out my Mum''s house (she has moved into a rest home) and came across my dad's certificate for 25 years service at the Home of Compassion soup kitchen. It is being proudly displayed.

Thanks for joining me on this folks. As Betty said, it is a great tool in the arsenal against AL and depression. Almost as good as MWO!! :H

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Abbercisers .......

I'm with you - next week I will skate for four sessions and I will cycle to work three times(no time for gym)

Exercise definitely helps me feel so much better mentally - and physically.
                        one day at a time

Comment

Abbercisers .......

Miss B - that's very interesting about your times/distances. I went to the pool this morning to try my swimming test but it's hot here today and the pool was already packed by 10am so I couldn't really do it. But, I know I have a looong way to go. I've found a nearby swimming club that hopefully is going to send me some info so I can see if that would be what I'm looking for.
                          No, I'm not a "groupie" either but can see it would help with motivation.
                          sigpic

Comment

Abbercisers .......

Well I had a scheduled day off yesterday, but today I'm having an unscheduled one! I've picked up some sort of bug and spent yesterday afternoon and last night alternately shivering and sweating.

I'm also very very down for a few reasons, but one of them is that I have spent the last two months getting sick frequently. Time for a wake-up call, and doing something different, but I'm not sure what. Will contemplate under the duvet today .......

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Abbercisers .......

Good Morning All,

Happy to see this thread is back! I recently took a Chi Running workshop with the hope to get back into running regularly after my injury while running last year. I am slowly working back into it and entertain thoughts that I'll run long distances again some day.

I have also become much more serious about yoga and try to take classes 3 - 4 times per week to advance in my practice.

Anyone heard of the book "Younger Next Year" It is a must read and stresses the importance of regular exercise and how it can increase longevity and the quality of your life.

Amazon.com: Younger Next Year: A Guide to Living Like 50 Until You're 80 and Beyond (0019628134233): Chris Crowley, Henry S. Lodge: Books
                              AF Since April 20, 2008
                              4 Years!!!
                              :lilheart:

Comment

Working...
                              X