Weekly AA Thread - Week of 8/16 through 8/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning! Cherbear, I love when I DO see young people in AA. I just feel they are blessed to be addressing the AL issue sooner rather than later. As we all know, it just gets worse. In one meeting I go to there is a girl who sobered up prior to her 21st birthday. She just celebrated that birthday and talked about how strange it was to be NOT drinking on the day when all of her peers consider it a momentous drinking day. It was really cool - another woman in the group who now has children that age said "I have never taken a legal drink either..." How neat was that - a connection that wasn't obvious. A good friend of mine has a daughter in her 20's who is also in AA. She has teenage children as well and she has been VERY honest with them about her own addiction and her involvement in AA. She believes they deserve to know very early that they might be genetically pre-disposed. While nobody wanted the family problems they've had when she was actively drinking, it seems they are very close today due to the honesty and love.

MG I can relate about the spending. I think sometimes I go on little sprees for a high. I too am working on stopping that. I truly have everything I need.

I am getting ready to call my sponsor and then head out to the Sunday morning meeting. I love starting my day this way - here, sponsor, AA. Head on straight.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

jvo: You just made my day! The AA fellowship works if we are open to it. You were open to it (despite your fears), & HP brought your sponsor into your life. Good for you.

Last night's topic was how our lives have changed since getting sober. It was pretty heart-warming. The young man whom I hadn't seen at meetings was there. He was just coming back after a relapse. He shared that he had stopped going to meetings...how many times have I heard that??? Anyhow, it was great seeing him. He looked a little ragged but was there.

Mary
      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
      October 3, 2012

Comment

Thanks DG, Cher, Married, and Mary! Yes, I could feel the love in the room like I've never experienced anywhere, especially not in a bar. I'm so grateful for yesterday and was on an HP high all day.

On the subject of younger AA's, at the meeting yesterday, there was a young male adult. This was his first meeting. I could see in his eyes his desparate need for help. He opened to the group about his fears, especially socially, which has triggered his drinking problems. I was very impressed by what this young man had to say, and also felt that if I had been there longer and more comfortable in my own skin (which I hope to be someday) I would have gone up and hugged him.

My sponsor asked that I call her today. I've almost got my first 57 pages read (my first assignment from her). The other thing she assigned to me was this: Get on your knees every morning and night and pray to your HP for strength and direction, so that you will be given a sober day. Thank him at night for the sober day. I added the serenity prayer in there also.

Thanks for your ongoing support. Have a great day!
        Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Good morning,
          Today is my first day back to work. We have inservice, which really bores the crap outa me! The kids come back on Wed. Well, I had a nice chat on the phone with my sponsor. It's nice to talk to someone whose nonjudgmental. I've never had this opportunity before, and it felt really great. I will meet her at 7:00 tonight to talk more, then we're going to a open speaker meeting at one of the locations I've never been to before (my fourth place!).

If I don't have the opportunity to let you know how everything went, I will tomorrow. It's an early morning and late night for me, but it'll be a sober one!

Have a great day!
          Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

j-vo, you will be hugging away before you know it! Can't wait to hear about the speaker meeting and sponsor meeting whenever you have time. It's sure to be a busy week but handled much better sober I bet.

I might go to the Big Book study with the soccer Moms today. We'll see. One thing is for sure though - there will be no drinking for me today!

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi DG, MG, Cher, Mary and j-vo. Have not been posting as much as I wanted but I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts.
              Tonight will be my first meeting since returning from my hoildays so I am looking forward to sharing my experience. I am really looking forward to it! Catch you later! x
              Be strong-
              We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
              Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

sober day

Hi all...nothin much for me to post today,done the usual with the family,cooked cleaned oh and got stitches out of my hand so back to work for me tomorrow. Fed up hanging around its not good for me.Other than that its another sober day

Have a good day all

Comment

Hi rebirth and welcome Jodiex! Another sober day is great. When you say you are fed up hanging around, are you talking about hanging around the house while off work? Just hanging out without a plan or much to do isn't good for me either - I can relate. Hope you enjoy getting back to work. What kind of work do you do?

Rebirth, I bet it will be fun sharing your experience!

Did not end up making the Big Book meeting today. Will be going to my regular Tuesday meeting tomorrow though. I'm looking forward to seeing the gang as always.

Guess we should start a thread for the new week?

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                  X