Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekly AA Thread 8/30-9-5

Hi everybody,

It's been a long, yet short weekend. I had to go out of town yesterday morning for a baby shower. But on Friday evening, went with my sponsor to a speaker meeting. It was a close friend of hers, who also attends our Sat. morning home group. It was moving and I had tears at one point. It seems the more speaker meetings I go to, the more I relate to the same fears, "isms" of alcoholism. The perfectionism, same kinds of fears, the same low self image... But then it makes me feel good because these people have got so many years of sobriety, and they've worked so hard to keep it. It's attainable and I that's comforting to know.

I was around alcohol all day yesterday. At the baby shower, it was an open bar. At my cousin's afterwards, beer, wine, sangria. I drove, which was a four hour drive out and back, so I didn't have to come up with an excuse of why I didn't want a glass of wine. But I have to say that what was the most important to me was the fact that I wasn't uncomfortable with it. No self-pity. I heard my uncle later in the evening slurring his words, and my sister had a few too many (although she almost never drinks too much) and I thought to myself, "I've got something better than booze." I've got peace right at this moment. And all the moments the rest of the night. Got home after midnight and was tired this morning, but I went to church. Haven't been there in a long time. Actually, I went to a Pres. church. I'm Roman Catholic, but don't feel much there. So I went to church and felt great about his message. "God Speaks To Us." I've been feeling him speaking to me more than I ever have.

Cher, I'll go to a women's meeting also on Tues. evenings. It's at my sponsor's house and there are only about 5 people in attendance. I look forward to it. We'll begin with the beginning of the Big Book as they just finished it. Perfect timing for my start! Hope your sponsor gets back soon!

cpn, that's awesome that you find meetings on the road! I don't travel for work, but if I did, I would be locating AA places.

Dance, that's a deep topic "being willing to go to any lengths." I feel as though I'm already living a different life and I'd go to any length to keep this going. My son high fived me the other night because he asked me when I came home from a meeting if I drank that night (he doesn't know that they don't serve alcohol at AA meetings!!!!!) and when I said no, he high fived me! He asked my husband how long it's been since I drank. I know he's proud of me. I feel the same fears as you do. I'm coming to understand that a lot of us alcoholics struggle with those fears, but can let go with the help of our HP. Congrats on your 1 year chip! I pictured you running up and back. I'm laughing with you! Cute.

Rebirth, I guess not being in AA for very long I took offense to that man's behavior towards you. I certainly would have cried if someone reacted to me, more harsh than necessary, but that's my insecurities. Then I though what DG and someone else (sorry) about how important meetings are to your sobriety. That makes sense, but then again, some people have a hard time with being assertive tactfully. Maybe we need a kick in the ass from time to time, but getting it from a stranger is a little, well, strange! You asked about speaker meetings. That's when someone with long-time sobriety tells their story. What led them into the drinking life and how AA saved them. Some give more details than others, but the same message is important: Their HP, working the steps, going to meetings, serving others, honesty. If you have a meeting booklet, look for a speaker meeting to attend. I really like them

DG, I bought blank CD's and I'll be burning those speaker meetings for you this week. If you'd like to pass them onto anyone here to listen to, please do. Happy anniversary to your 19 years and 3 weeks!

Mary, I'm glad your meetings are going well. I understand about facing your fears and as you do they decrease. I can say this honestly. I'd try to face my fears in the past, but that never did the trick for me. I'd force myself to do things I was so afraid of, but it just blew up in my face. BUT...I never asked my HP for help or or maybe I did, but I didn't have that belief or peace of mind that it would actually happen. I'm feeling that way now. Less fear. But I can see the long road ahead of me. Good luck on beginning your steps!

Good morning and j-vo, thanks for starting us off for the week! Sounds like you had a very busy weekend but got through it sober and sane and one moment at a time. I am so excited to hear your sponsor speak! Will it be OK with her if I make additional copies for sharing with my local peeps?

I was giving more thought to the situation (rebirth!) and the "old timer" who gave feedback in an un-soft (for lack of a better word?) way. I remember how at first I was really put off by a few of the old timers who are "regulars" at the local club where I attend meetings. When they give an opinion it's strong and never softly put. Part of what I am learning in sobriety is to accept feedback without it hurting my feelings. Always feeling hurt by any criticism, even constructive criticism that I need is a character defect. I have benefited from these hard old timers by realizing that:

* They speak the truth whether I want to hear it or not.
    * I benefit from their wisdom either at the time or later on.
    * Even if I disagree it's OK for me to hear someone's opinion without getting upset by it. It doesn't need to ruin my day.

These things are all making me a better and stronger person. This is my opinion about it anyway. But I sure remember the first time and old timer seemed to "go off' and how unsettling that was. Imagine how many relapses and tragedies related to drinking they have seen over the years. I imagine I will be a bit crusty too if I am fortunate enough to be sober that long.

Anyway...those are my random thoughts for the morning. You are my meeting today so I am especially excited about all your posts today!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi there,

Not an AA person myself but just asking. If an old-timer going off at you keeps you coming back, is that really healthy? I mean, if you're coming back because of someone else you're not really coming back for the right reasons. Perhaps some people would not come back to avoid conflict. And if they don't come back for that reason, they're not ready either because that's not a reason not to come back.

There I"ve talked myself full around - to agree with DG (sortof) that it in fact does not matter if someone yells at you or not. Yelling says something only about them, not you.

Sorry to interfere...

T.
      AF since May 6, 2010

Forget the past, plan for tomorrow, and live for today.

Comment

DG and Cherbear I have a lot of respect for the two of you but I have been thinking abiout this guy’s reaction over the weekend (and I have spoken about it to a couple of other members from my home group) and I think he was wrong to give me a lecture. I still cannot accept that guy’s reaction to me.He has heard me share many times and he knew how important this first holiday was for me.. Infact my share before I left for my holidays was about my fear to temptation, old drinking patterns on holidays etc. I have always had positive feedback and encouragement for the old timers…

It was a small meeting and I got the impression that the ones attending were “bored”. There was no welcome back, no feedback after the meeting about my sobriety. No encouragement…nothing. Just a lecture from this guy about how I should have attended a meeting as soon as I got back. The thing is that I do attend meetings on a regular basis and it is clear to people who have heard me share how important it is to attend, that AA is a spiritual programm and it helps one to stay stopped. I absolutely know all this.

Ugh. That meeting has left me somewhat cold. I need encouragement, I need support, I need someone to hold my hand. Not tell me off. I personally think I have done very well get to three months sobriety. Why should I feel guilty that I didn’t go to a meeting as soon as I got back? I was only back ten days?

Its how j-vo said. he was not assertive tactfully. I am ranting on but its because i am disappointed.

Good morning DG and Gaia. Cross posted. x
        Be strong-
        We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
        Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

Gaia been having the same thoughts all weekend! lol.
          Be strong-
          We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.

Comment

DG I totally agree with what you said about the regulars. I have the upmost respect for them and they do speak truth and wisdom. I still cant accept this telling off, this cruel to be kind approach.I never could and it does put me off.
            Everyone to their own....

BUT! All said I am so so so happy to be sober on this bank holiday monday. Have a great day everyone. x
            Be strong-

Comment

Well Rebirth I also think that one jerk should not send you out to get a drink. It sounds like it's not and I'm glad for that.

T.
              AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Gaia;947279 wrote: Hi there,

Not an AA person myself but just asking. If an old-timer going off at you keeps you coming back, is that really healthy? I mean, if you're coming back because of someone else you're not really coming back for the right reasons. Perhaps some people would not come back to avoid conflict. And if they don't come back for that reason, they're not ready either because that's not a reason not to come back.

There I"ve talked myself full around - to agree with DG (sortof) that it in fact does not matter if someone yells at you or not. Yelling says something only about them, not you.

Sorry to interfere...

T.
                T. - just an observation. It seems you comment about AA when there is anything potentially negative or controversial being discussed surrounding AA. Maybe something for you to consider or think about? Or maybe I have missed other posts that were more positive that balance this out.

Rebirth, none of us were there so our comments assume all sorts of things that may or may not be true. (Assuming is not a good thing LOL but a necessity on a forum like this I think!) One thing is for sure...if I get a vibe that is just "not for me" for any reason at a meeting, I go find a different one. It's amazing how many groups are out there and what a different vibe we can get from all of them. I have also sometimes found it good for me to take a bit of a break from my home group for short periods of time when something has happened to rattle me. None of us are perfect and we all have different styles. I think part of the fellowship opportunity is learning to accept and identify with a very wide variety of people. We can learn something from all of them even if it's what we DON'T want to do. :l You are making FABULOUS progress and if this particular group is not feeding your sober spirit in a positive way I hope you will try another one! That's the important thing - to stay sober and make progress in your spirit life.

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Ah Dg you got my goat! I went back to look through past posts by me and you have a point - in general my posts relating to AA have been more negative than positive. But I do affirm that I know that AA has helped a lot of people and and that there is lots of "good stuff" mixed in with the bumpf. You are right - I should recognize the good things more.

It is in my nature to ask questions, to analyze and probe. I also believe that we are all of us human, and that just because one has made progress in one area it does not mean that this person is pure in all ways. So I don't believe there is ever 'one answer' or 'one way'.

Personally I don't think yelling is ever appropriate.

Best,
                  T.
                  AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Good morning.

Have to run but thought I would post this link for anyone interested.

My Name is Roger, and I'm an alcoholic - Roger Ebert's Journal

The bottom two videos don't work, they had to be removed but the article is very good and very inspiring.

Love,
                    Cindi
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Doggygirl;947292 wrote: You are making FABULOUS progress and if this particular group is not feeding your sober spirit in a positive way I hope you will try another one! That's the important thing - to stay sober and make progress in your spirit life.

DG
                      Rightly put. Will definitely take a break from my home group and try a different meeting this week.
                      Be strong-

Comment

Gaia;947300 wrote:
                        Personally I don't think yelling is ever appropriate.

Best,
                        T.
                        You are the only one who used the word "yelling" in this situation. Rebirth nor anyone else used that word.

Since you admittedly don't go to AA, yet have seemingly strong opinions about what goes on there, I will mention that reminds me of me. I was the biggest anti-AA person on the planet in my own mind before going myself (90 meetings in 90 days) and giving it a fair chance. I was wrong on so many fronts I can't count them all. Many others have talked about having that same experience. So I guess my awareness level goes up when I hear only negative coming from little or no experience. That's exactly what I used to do. I certainly don't think everyone in AA is perfect. AA is not for everyone, that is for sure. However I have also accepted that I judged very unfairly (and commented unfairly) without any first hand experience at all prior to going and seeing for myself and giving it a fair chance. That is something I regret. I hope nobody "passing by" one of my negative and uninformed remarks ever gave AA a pass due to what I said out of my "you know where." Because of that experience, I try not to be negative about any sobriety method - especially ones that I have little or no experience with.

I was thinking this morning about the many many people I have met in AA and how some of the relationships evolved over time. I was thinking of one "crusty old timer" (his words :H) who really, really offended me when I first heard him speak. Over time I have heard more and more of his story in bits and pieces. It's amazing how much better I relate to him (and am far less offended) the more I get to know him. I also believe that I am growing in my own sobriety and am more tolerant and accepting of others who do things that it is my instinct to dislike or disagree with. I am far from perfect at this! But getting better. I like myself better as a more tolerant person and hope I can continue to grow in that direction.

The other thought I had is how imperfect ALL of us are. Somehow I want it to be OK for me to make a mistake or be less than perfect in some way, and yet I sometimes expect others to live up to all of my perfect expectations. I need to get over that or I will walk around being mighty disappointed a lot of the time.

Rebirth - you might find after a bit of a break you see your home group in a new light. (maybe better or maybe not! :H)

Cindi, thanks for that link. I'm looking forward to reading that. I can always use an inspiring story!

DG

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Rebirth: I missed the old-timers offensive remark, but I can only say that we're all human (old, new, whatever), & we all say dumb stuff or say something the wrong way. I've certainly been on the receiving end & on the giving end as well. It's up to me to handle how I receive such remarks. I don't have to let them spoil a meeting or my day for that matter. I can only say that I cannot cancel out AA because of a remark or a meeting gone wrong. My sobriety depends upon AA, because I couldn't stay sober alone or even w/MWO. I've seen people take offense at meetings & stop coming, & I've also seen where that leads...relapse. I'm as vulnerable to relapse as the next person. As my sponsor points out: the farther you are from your last drink, the closer you are to your next drink. So, this might be a case of "Let Go & Let God." Everything happens for a reason. There might be a lesson here for you. Mary
                          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

Regarding AA membership. I was absolutely opposed to AA for a long time. Then I OD'd on booze. That was the experience I needed to break through my prejudice about AA & join & commit. I'm in it now (for better or for worse), & I'm working the steps, going to meetings, & staying sober. I wouldn't want to ever go back to my old life. It was awful. Mary
                            Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                            October 3, 2012

Comment

Mary and friends,

It's up to me to handle how I receive such remarks.
                              The important piece of this dialogue is to remember that we can try to project/know/decide what others are thinking about us but we simply cannot do that.

It is up to us to handle these things in life with equanamity and serenity. These things will happen. (I haven't read back to read what all was said or done but I do know the scenario well. I know what so-and-so was thinking when they said something and it hurt me and then I had to deal with it. I always dealt with it in the "usual" way.)

The truth is, not only are we alcoholics, we also must deal with our brains and the way our brains process things.

It is up to us to handle the things we "think" are condemnation as not. It is up to us to know that we are living our lives the best way we can. When we don't, we go back, look at what we did and do the next right thing.

Everything else is just something that can lead us to drink.

That is how I read the 12-Steps, anyway.

I hope things go better for you, Gaia, and you can get centered and know you can only control yourself and no one else. "God, grant me the serenity..."

We have punished others quite enough for what they have "done" to us by trying to kill ourselves. Let's take another way out.

Much love and complete understanding,
                              Cindi
                              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X