September Serenity - Week 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Rav! It's been a while since you paid us a visit, hope life is good for you
    "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
    AF - JAN 1st 2010
    NF - May 1996

Comment

I don?t have much time now but the topic earlier today means a lot to me. Thank you for the quote, Dill.

?Never be too discouraged. The world is sure to get better, in spite of setbacks of war, hate, and greed. Be part of the cure of the world's ills, rather than part of the disease?.

I understand how exposure to negative things can increase ones negativity which then can spread, but I am hoping this is optional. At this point I have not figured out how not to watch/listen to a sampling of news every day as I feel I have to be a ?witness?. Before we had access to a range of local and world news people/governments did things ranging from simple injustice to genocide with flat out immunity. Even with exposure they still try and get away with it and often do, but I think there is far more hope. For me part of not making things worse involves not only creating a peaceful world in my sphere of influence but clear eyed sober tolerating the pain of bad things I can?t fix and living to tell about them. I don't have our dear Chill's funny animated soap box to get down off of so I'll just say goodnight. I trust we shall do whatever works for each of us in making this a better world as we all dearly love it. Love, Ladybird.
      may we be well

Comment

Hello and good night (morning!) to everybody. I get my news from my husband who reads the NY Times aloud to me (whether I want it or not) each morning as I feed the dogs and us. I do believe in the power of a common focus, Chill. I also believe that bringing peace to ourselves goes a long way toward bringing peace to the world. Yet I also believe in being a witness and a noticer, LBH. Somehow I think if our intentions are to bring more light (thanks, Dill), then that's what is bound to happen.

HB and I went to see a 3D IMAX film today (what else to do when it's 109?): Under the Sea. I love to snorkel, have done a little diving, but this was Incredible. It made me think of your Tao quote yesterday, Chill - such a huge universe there under the water, flying, scooping, eating, mating, entertaining, with forests and glens and mountains and phantasmagorical (?) dwellings. It was a little alarming when the poisonous sea snakes swam right into your face, and the shark seemed to slice your ear by swimming too close, but the idea of being under the water was so divine to this desert dweller.

Wishing you peace -
        to the light

Comment

Good morning everyone

Horrible wet and windy morning here. Did not manage to get my walk in with the doggies so believe me its bad when I miss that.

This is the girls first full week of school so hoping to get back in routine. Am meeting some girlfriends for coffee this morning to catch up after the summer.

Rusty - Thanks for sharing that poem with us.

Lav - I think Chill has hit the nail on the head regarding hubby.

Dill - Thanks so much for posting the readings. I really enjoy them.

Paguy - Good luck with your operation and welcome to the thread. You too Papmom.

Chill, LBH, Cyn, Sped, Sooty and everyone else big hello. Have a great week.

Rustop

Comment

Good Morning Guys

Beautiful day here again and I had a great early morning cycle followed by yoga so Im well and truly set for the day!

Yesterday I had a lovely lunch at the beach and watched my friends all get a bit silly with the wine, it was to a nice level and im definately finding it much more comfortable to be around drinkers (not drunks). Im no longer nervous about being the odd one out and its a huge relief to find the confidence to interact and not feel self conscious or that im the boring one. I couldnt have done this a few months ago and I love that this AF jouney never ends, there is always another stage of learning.

Lav - Im keen to know how Mr Lav was at dinner....

Cyn - Under the Sea at imax sounds awesome! The BBC have produced some amazing series's THE BLUE PLANET and PLANET EARTH with mind blowing cinematography. I love watching these type of programs.

Rusty - I loved your poem! I think we all feel the same.
            "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
            AF - JAN 1st 2010
            NF - May 1996

Comment

Just had a thought..... I think we should be on September Serenity - week 2?
              AF - JAN 1st 2010
              NF - May 1996

Comment

Morning Chilli, and greeting's to all serener's!

Have a beautiful week (2). Nice peom Rusty.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good Morning Chill and G,

I spent a lovely AF evening with my family at my sister's house....lots of laughs. I am very lucky to have such a great family....I would rather be with my family than with anyone else in the world. I'm at my mom's right now and some of you may know that she is a devout Christian and she has religious quotations all over the house. This is one of my favorites:Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. -Gandhi

Chill-I love the pictures from Portugal! Lovely! I had never seen figs before-except dried ones in the store, but I must say, yours are really interesting. Do you have any pics of your pool? You sound so peaceful lately, Chill. It seems that despite your perilous financial situation that you are enjoying special outings with friends, clycling, etc., and enjoying life despite being financially strapped.

Lav-I think Chill is spot on about Mr. Lav. Maybe when you were so angry he envisioned his mother....since she was an angry person? Now maybe he doesn't visualize you as being a threat (just thinking about how his mind might be working) and he can relax and enjoy having dinner, doing projects around the house. It sure seems as though your serene persona has rubbed off on him. I'll try not to jinx it for you:H Maybe there will be a new, improved Mr. Lav around the corner.

G-I have been very committed with my running and since this is a holiday weekend in the US, I went home to visit my family and they all said my weight loss is noticeable....and it's all because of the running:yay: BTW, I saw Crocodile Dundee on TV again and I thought of you.

Paguy-I'll be praying your surgery goes well tomorrow. I am sending you a PM.

Dill-thank you for your readings. I enjoy them.

Star-I'm anxious to hear about the wedding! Details, please.

Hi to Sped, Ladybird, Sooty, Rustop, Cyn, Papmom, and anyone who comes by, have a wonderful AF day, and for those of you in the States....Happy Labor Day!

xoxoxo

Rusty

Comment

Hey Rusty,

Running is just the best isn't it? Once we get our heads around it, and learn to find our rythym.....yeeaah........meditation on the move for me.
                    I'm not dissimilar to Croc dundee. Maybe a little less cultured, but i can work on that!

Have a great day all.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Greetings Serene Ones,

Rusty, I'm glad you had such a nice time with your family. It's interesting that you said that your Mom is a devout Christian, with religious sayings posted all around her home, and then the one you mentioned is from Ghani, a Hindu! It is a good quote, though, and so true. Also, I love your poem.

Chill, I always appreciate it when you post about times when you are with drinking friends and how you feel about it. You sound more comfortable and actually delighted each time. It's good to hear. I still limit myself from those situations as much as possible. Oh, and we have the Planet Earth DVD. It was the first thing we bought when we purchased our Blue Ray player. It is indeed awesome.

Lav, I too am curious about the dinner with the mysteriousl, changable, Mr. Lav. I hope it went well.

Cyn, your Imax film sounds like it was a great way to spend a 109 day! Now, here's something kind of gross and disturbing. I have recently decided not to go to movie theaters because of my fear of bed bugs. I'm sure you've heard about the recent epidemic in NYC. I live in Ohio, but we are actually having our own little out break here, too. Just the thought of it has put me off going to theatres.

LBH, there could be no finer witnesses than you and Cyn in this world. You are such positive forces for good. May we all do our parts to try to turn our world to the light.

Rustop, don't let the wind blow you away! We need you here!

Hi Mr. G. And Rav, long time no see!

Wishing all an AF Labor Day. (Or just an AF Monday, to those not in the States!)
                      Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Morning everybody,
                        Back from the mountains. Nice run yesterday (only 7 miles, resting after last week's 23) and then my friend and I went hiking on a cross country ski trail lined with aspens, wild flowers and the most amazing variety of mushrooms I've ever seen. As I drove the 2 hours back into town, I started obsessing about the wedding and have been obsessing and making lists ever since. Putting up 11 people before and after the wedding, some for as long as 5 days. 3 double/queen beds, 1 twin, 2 couches. This is what I mean by obsessing. Everyone is very close friend or family so it will be chaotic but fun, a giant slumber party.

My friend loaded my car with plants from her yard, penstemons, daisies, cone flowers, even a little lilac. Hope the heat down here doesn't kill them. Sorry to complain, BUT I don't want it to be in the 90's anymore!

Cyn, When I get hot I think of you and know somebody on this thread is hotter than me. That must be why you are such a night owl, coolest part of the day is when the sun is down. Loved your I-Max description. Would like to see it, love the idea of being immersed in water in the middle of the desert. Was it at a museum?

Chill, meant to tell you that I loved your fig picture. I love figs, the crunch of their seeds. Do you ever stuff them with cheese? Do they eat tapas in Portugal? the rehearsal dinner is at a tapas restaurant.

Lav, how was dinner?????

Rusty, I too am anxiously awaiting wedding reports from Star. Went to a dress shop a couple of days ago. An older woman waited on me. She asked about my son's wedding. It turned out that she had been married in October, in Santa Fe, at the same hotel, 25 years ago. It snowed at her wedding! Four inches!
                        More to obsess about, the weather.

Hope everyone has a sweet Monday.

Comment

Rusty;952683 wrote:
                          I spent a lovely AF evening with my family at my sister's house....lots of laughs. I am very lucky to have such a great family....I would rather be with my family than with anyone else -[/B][/COLOR]
                          Rusty - What a lovely thing to say!

Just for you, here is a pic of my little pool....
                          AF - JAN 1st 2010
                          NF - May 1996

Comment

Hi Dill, cross post. You certainly deserve a wonderful Labor Day.

Comment

Sped - Crossed post! :l
                              AF - JAN 1st 2010
                              NF - May 1996

Comment

Good Morning Chill, Rusty, G, Dill, Sped and all who follow today!

It is yet another stunning day weather-wise here on the East coast and that is enough to get the day started off on the right foot.

Speaking of ?right foot? (honestly, no pun intended), I have been busy all weekend with my preparations for surgery tomorrow and spending 6-weeks being non-weight bearing. In addition to crutches, I also rented a little scooter that is specifically designed for people who have to be NWB following surgery. It?s really cute! I think I should come up with a clever name for the scooter?. Any suggestions?

As most of you know, I really enjoy cooking so I prepared a lot of meals that I can store in the freezer to keep me well fed over the next 6 weeks. Here are some of the dishes I made: Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta, Baked Ziti with Meatballs, Roasted Pork Tenderloin marinated in Rosemary, Lemon Vinaigrette, Whole Wheat Penne with Zucchini, Chicken Piccata. And, I also made some yummy Pumpkin Pie Muffins! One more meal to make today ? Roasted Turkey Breast with Mashed Potatoes and Stuffing. My partner does not cook so I wanted to make it easier for him to keep both of us fed over the upcoming weeks!

I really do appreciate all the kind words of support and encouragement that many of you have sent my way. I have lots to be thankful and grateful for and the MWO community has been a very positive experience for me.

Yesterday?s daily meditation from ?The Promise of a New Day?
                                talked about the events and experiences of our lives and how they are interweaved with one another and it?s really the sum of all of our experiences that make us who we are. This has helped me put into perspective what I am experiencing now and how it will help shape me for the future:
                                ?When life offers lemons, make lemonade, so the saying goes. It?s simple and true. No matter the circumstances of our lives, we can maximize the positive events. More importantly, we can learn from the negative ones. In reflections of the past, we are frequently surprised to discover that the lemon made possible the deliciousness of a present experience.
                                All events of our lives are threads, weaving a pattern that is unfolding by design. Each experience is equal to every other experience?. An expectation that an experience is a necessary part of our design will foster gratitude, even in the moment that we must swallow the bitter fruit.?

Have a beautiful and gratifying AF day everyone!
                                John
                                AF since 7/13/2010

Comment

Working...
                                X