Weekly AA Thread - Oct. 18 - Oct. 24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mary, will be thinking of Patty and sending prayers. Will look forward to hearing how it went when you are able to get back on-line.

Flashbacks. I don't know if this is so much a flashback as having a cringe worthy memory come to the front of my mind. Yesterday a guy gave the lead who relapsed in January of this year after 17 years of sobriety. When he first came back to AA shortly after he drank, he said "I'm not going to drink any more. But it was a conscious choice to drink and I DID control it." Well, I hadn't seen him since shortly after he said that.

I guess like we all hear, that feeling of "control" over AL didn't last long. I guess over the weekend his family did an intervention with him. 10 family members greeted him in his living room when he came home from wherever he was. He seemed rather humble this time about the cunning, baffling and powerful nature of AL, and his addiction to it. I still find it so hard to believe that after 17 years around the table it's possible to believe that "now I can control it." But it happens. I need to stay very, very humble and never ever ever get the notion that I have the upper hand when it comes to AL. My ONLY power is to NOT take the first drink.

Anyway...his description of the intervention reminded me of my last corporate job. I worked from home and the boss was in Buffalo. I was drinking during the day, and sometimes thinking I was "not so bad" and answering the phone "tipsy" (DRUNK). He called me on it a few times. I'm sure for each time he said something, there were countless other occassions when he didn't. He scheduled a meeting with me for a "performance review" and flew into town. I was to meet him at the airport. Imagine the huge knot in my stomach when he walked off the plane with a woman I did not know, and introduced her as the HR lady.

That would have been an ideal time to admit I had a problem. The company offers Employee Assistance for addiction issues. I could have asked for help. But I did not. I denied denied denied. I weasled my way out of serious trouble (which took a lot of doing as the HR lady was a smart HR lady). And I kept drinking. At that point, I started strategizing on how I could get out of that job. Not how I could get out of my drinking. I "decided" I had to stop drinking during business hours but I don't think I even made it one day.

How sick is that? It was good to be reminded. I'm so very grateful I don't live like that today.

Mary, my ability to hide it got less and less as my need to drink outgrew my ability to hide it.

Rebirth, I can relate to the guilt and shame as you describe it. And things often trigger memories AL would rather have me forget.

Dance, I didn't see my excessive drinking as a problem in my younger days either. I can look back now and in hindsight, see that I was definitely on the path going to where alcoholism leads. The same antics that just seem "wild" when one is 20 become "pathetic" when one is 40 I think. (at least that's the way I view the things I used to do..)

I'm glad you guys are here. Mary, will be thinking of you and Patty.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Doggygirl;986420 wrote: The same antics that just seem "wild" when one is 20 become "pathetic" when one is 40 I think. (at least that's the way I view the things I used to do..)
      DG
      How true is that!!

I do cringe when I get these flashbacks but it certainly helps me stay sober. A great reminder of how I drink and the consequences of it.

The last main share at my home meeting was from a woman who was celebrating 30 years of sobriety. She was suppose to collect an award for her achievement and she was still worrried that she might drink before she collected it! That really threw me.
      But I hear this alot...people with years of sobriety who just decides to drink again. My mentor has 22 years of sobriety and has picked up this year...

I wonder if giving up the drink is the same as giving up cigarettes. I use to be a very heavy smoking and quit 8 years ago. I have no desire to smoke, I never think about it in a stressful situation. It's almost like I have never smoked. I wonder how I would feel after 8 years of sobriety. Would I drink again I wonder?
      Be strong-
      We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
      Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

DG, what a great post! That was me just last year, working at home for a major corporation and drinking during business hours. Wow, I'm so glad I don't live like that now.

Thanks for the story about the relapse, I need to hear that.
        Love and Peace,
        Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

DG: Many thanks for your honesty in relating your corporate experience. I've heard of people having relapses after a decade plus of sobriety. I heard one guy w/15 years who relapse recount how he was drinking at 8:30 AM within 3 days. I absolutely need to hear stories like that lest I begin to think that I can be a normal drinker.

Patty came through the surgery OK. Mary
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

DG ... A huge thank you for your honest share!!
            I needed that today. AL , cunning , baffling.. we cannot get complacent.

not much else to share right now.
            May our choices today not result in regret, but rather be wise

Comment

Everyone: There was a woman at last night's meeting who was mandated to go to meetings by the courts. Her husb has a restraining order out on her, & she's been barred from seeing her 4 kids. She was crying & saying that she didn't think/know if she was an alcoholic. She said she doesn't drink every day, has a few glasses of wine, that she's small & can't hold her liquor, etc. etc. She was sitting in a room full of alcoholics who have said all the same things in trying to deny their alcoholism. Nobody said anything harsh or accused her of denial. We all just said: "Try to listen & maybe you'll identify." At this point, she's going to meetings because she has to. A couple of us talked about hitting bottom.

It amazes me what we'll do to protect our drinking. I know I denied my alcoholism for years in order to do that. I still get those feelings/thoughts:
              -I'm no that bad.
              -Maybe I can drink socially.
              -My life wasn't completely derailed.
              -etc.

The meeting was on gratitude. HP was in the room & guiding my thoughts & words. I shared that I cannot have any gratitude at all unless I put my sobriety before everything else. Everything: marriage, family, every single thing.

Mary

PS: One member shared a little saying he heard at a meeting: "A grateful heart doesn't drink."
              Wisdom, Courage, Strength
              October 3, 2012

Comment

Hello everyone! Enjoyed reading your posts. Mary, is everything OK with Patty?

I like that saying. "A grateful heart doesn't drink." I haven't heard that exact saying before. I was just sharing with another on-line friend that my gratitude list is a good antidote for stress / anger / upset. That list is much more effective at restoring me to a balanced view of a situation than AL ever was.

Thinking of you all today and grateful we are sharing this journey.

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Mary thank you for your post. It was just what I needed today. That woman was me when I first attended AA meetings. I didnt think I was as bad as others but I knew that my drinking had gotten out of control. It took a year of listening to others to identify and understand what I had. My denial was my curse!
                  I am really happy to hear that Patty is okay.

I am getting to know my sponsor better and we are meeting up in a week or so to talk about step one. I am really looking forward to it!

Have a peaceful sunday everyone. x
                  Be strong-
                  We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
                  Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

I am so happy for you rebirth! I hope everything works out fabulous with your sponsor. Even if it doesn't, it's a learning and growth experience no matter what. Win-win.

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi everyone..
                      Mary, thanks for that reminder.. the big YET!! looming. I heard this one woman say that her High bottom was a DUI, that is hard for me to imagine that being a high bottom.

I am chairing a meeting on Thursday.. my first! not sure what my topic will be yet. just kind of doing some praying and see how the week progresses.
                      May our choices today not result in regret, but rather be wise

Comment

That's exciting Cherbear! It will all go just fine. I love being in meetings when someone chairs for the first time. It's important service work and it's something we are all nervous about the first time, but we get through it with the support of the group. I think you will be happy you stepped up! There is certainly no shortage of things that affect our sobriety, so I'm sure a good topic will come to you.

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                        X