• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekly AA Thread - Oct. 25 - Oct. 30

cpn1004;990954 wrote: Hey fellow AA peeps;
    Have any of y'all seem this book?
    Testimonials for 164 and More's Guide to AA's Big Book, 12x12
    I have not seen it. It looks interesting. If you track one down or get one yourself, I'd be interested in your opinion.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Nor me Phil. Looks interesting though..

DG - Cancer is everywhere isnt it. I sometimes wonder if it's from our food..

Hey how do you do those links? Can anyone tell me how pretty please
      Be strong-
      We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
      Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

rebirth;991084 wrote: Hey how do you do those links? Can anyone tell me how pretty please
        Are you asking how to include a link in your post? If so, the way I do it is to go to the other web site that you want to link to. Copy the address of the web site from the top bar in your browser. (Ctrl + C) Then come back to the My Way Out post window and just paste the address into the post. Once you submit your post, MWO uses a short description name for the link (usually). There is another process you can go through if you want to name the link something else, but I'll save that for another day.

I do think a lot of cancer is a result of our diets. And mine should be a whole lot better than it is.

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Thanks DG for the link again!! it is different but thats ok , every little bit helps.

I'm so sad for your step coach, I work with a lot of people with serious respiratory stuff and there is nothing worse than not being able to breathe.. the absolute worst. I will say a prayer for him to have some sense of calm, because it can be so scary.

Take care everyone.
          May our choices today not result in regret, but rather be wise

Comment

I'm still learning to deal w/my emotions sober. I think that'll be a life-time process. Certainly loss is a big one. I look at my mother who is 94 & has lost all her contemperaries: friends & siblings, save one younger brother. She took Patty's cancer w/emotion but resignation mixed w/hope. She prays a great deal & has learned that a person has to take life on life's terms. That's something that most alcoholics just cannot accept very well...at least this alcoholic. I'm getting it though the longer I stay sober. "This too shall pass" contains so much wisdom. You can only keep a fever pitch of emotion for so long before you have to come down. Thank God I don't have to do that chemically any more. I have other options:
            -prayer
            -meetings
            -phone call
            -email/MWO
            -etc.

Yesterday, Patty found a tick on herself (probably brought in by the dog). It was embedded & probably there for a few days. She immediately went to the doc (Lime disease) & is taking an antibiotic. We both had a real cry about it...it all seemed unfair & too much. But, today, we're back on keel. 2 years ago, I'd still be drinking about it. I wouldn't want to face what had happened. How did I get like that? Years & years of avoidance. After a while, I just didn't feel I could handle anything. Now I see I can.

Mary
            Wisdom, Courage, Strength
            October 3, 2012

Comment

Mary you are a tower of strength! Your posts are very inspiring. x
              Be strong-
              We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.

Comment

Thank you rebirth. I don't always feel that way, but I'm certainly stronger than I've ever been in my life. I owe it all to my sobriety in AA.

I'm not sure if I mentioned that the Tues. night speaker explained the difference between abstinence & sobriety. After a lot of stints in rehabs & detoxes, he finally decided to put down the drink. However, he didn't join AA until 7 years later. He describes himself in those 7 abstinent years as a "dry drunk." He got into trouble, lost family members, lost jobs, etc. etc. He needed AA for a spirituality that he couldn't find anywhere else. Interesting. Much of the sharing from long-time sober AAers was that AA is now less about not drinking & more about learning the right way to live.

Mary
                October 3, 2012

Comment

Mary,
                  You said it in a nut shell so well, I think that you can tell when you hear people in meetings share which ones have embraced the program at it truly is meant to be and the ones that are "dry drunks" We had a gal who came to AA even though she had stopped drinking for 10 years because she was still so miserable. Its such a simple program but amazing too.

I got my first service work as a chair person under my belt last night and it went well. I picked the topic of fear since I had recently finished my 4th step. It was a good topic I guess. I was pretty nervous at first.
                  May our choices today not result in regret, but rather be wise

Comment

Cher I was thinking about you and your first time chairing. I'm glad it went well! You picked a great topic - at least it is for me. Good for you getting involved.

Mary, I too just love the wisdom of your posts. Please don't ever stop sharing here.

Hello to all!

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Good afternoon all,

I had another good meeting last friday. It never ceases to amaze me how every meetin leaves me with a buzz. For those few hours I step out of myself and feel totally at ease with the people around me. It's such an incredible bond! Funny enough most of the shares were about living a spiritual life and how step work has help immensily with sorting out personal problems.

I am definitely a dry drunk and I am really looking forward to doing step work with my sponsor this week...

I could do with going to weigh watchers and getting a personal trainer..and probably a life coach..oh and maybe a massage twice a week. Lol.

Have a lovely sober saturday. x
                      Be strong-

Comment

Hello all. Rebirth, your enthusiasm makes me smile. Thank you so much - I needed that today!

I found out this morning a little more of what's going on with Step Coach. More tumors, and he is not strong enough for any more chemo, radiation, etc. I can't imagine what it might feel like to just sit there waiting for the end. I also hold his wife in such high regard. She is not falling apart - she is loving him every step of the way and doing / supporting whatever makes HIM happy right now. No pity parties or selfishness coming from her at all. What an inspiration. A small group of us will be going one night this week to have a meeting at his house. Then she is planning something special for his 35 year anniversary sober which is a week from Monday. I hope to participate in that as well.

The homeless guy we helped to the hospital back in the early summer is in intensive care right now. It's like watching that "Rain" documentary unfold right under my nose. He is heavily sedated right now with a breathing tube. The nurse couldn't tell me much due to privacy issues and such, but she said he will live through this. The scary part is that when he can function minimally, they will turn him back out on the street. He will keep drinking and getting sicker and eventually be back there again. What a horrible cycle. But for the grace of God, there go I. He didn't know he had a visitor today. I hope to stop by once a day just so there is someone caring about him. The nurse said she is praying for him too. She talked about "people having to want to get sober." No kidding. I wanted to tell her just how difficult it can be. I wanted to explain how many times in my life I have chosen to drink when it was a really really bad choice. Addiction isn't logical. But I just thanked her for being kind to him even though he is an indigent patient. :upset: For some reason, watching this makes me sad beyond words. And strengthens my committment to stay sober and to help others achieve sobriety.

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

DG: I didn't go to the discussions meeting last night because of a breast cancer fund raiser, but my husband went. One of the women I know who has struggled to put together 11 months just relapsed again & was thrown out of the sober house she was living in. The hope I get from the big book is to read those stories (especially Bill W's) of relapsing over & over & finally finding lasting sobriety. This might be it for your fellow member. I agree that there isn't enough in resources for people on the street who are still active. However, as harsh as it sounds, the nurse is right. I didn't get sober until I really wanted it. Maybe my bottom seems high to some people, but it wasn't to me. I couldn't live like that anymore. Maybe your friend will feel that way when he wakes up from all this.

As for step coach & his wife: I can only hope I'd be of the same kind of support if I was in his wife's position. I sure hope he makes it to his 35th. That'll be a awesome & emotional meeting.

Mary
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

DG and Mary,

I drank last night.Just like that.I knew I was going to do this as I have been terribly irritable and angry the past 6 weeks. sigh.
                            I dont want to drink today and I want to stay sober. I cant get to a meeting tonight either....I am too afraid to tell my sponsor? I was suppose to meet her this wednesday to do step one and would like to do so.

I just dont know what to think. I am so worried for myself.

I am so confused right now.:upset:
                            Be strong-

Comment

Now I am thinking that it would be great if I could moderate..abstain for a few months..drink in a normal manner..abstain again.

It's my addictive mind thinking that isnt it.. Oh God dont let me drink today.
                              Be strong-

Comment

rebirth, honesty is the cornerstone of my sobriety for sure, and the cornerstone according to the AA program. AA works. Most people unfortunately do not get sober and stay sober on the first try, or second or third or fourth. If I were in your shoes, I would call my sponsor right away not matter how hard that would be. She would understand. If I lied about it or just keep it to myself (and subsequently lived the lie) then where would that lead me? How can I be helped here or in AA with my alcoholism if I lie about it?

You don't have to be perfect for anyone. Especially not your sponsor. I hope you decide to tell her and just go from there.

:l Onward.

DG
                                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                                X